test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Detail to Room ratio?

zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
How many details to a single room before you start to feel more "there is a lot of **** in here" instead of "this is a pretty well laid out room".

Also, wall hanging ideas? Banners seem generic and don't really fit the reason my indoor areas are the way they are, yet banners seem to count for like 90% of the details aimed at wall placement. I could do shelves, but who has shelves all over every inch of their house/why are there random wooden shelves sticking out of this dungeon wall?

Suggestions and opinions appreciated! ~_^
Post edited by zlainfurry on

Comments

• Options
    chibidanichibidani Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2013
    there's pictures and stuff and wall lantures and things aswell you could try those.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What type of rooms/areas are you trying to decorate thematically? There is a decent amount of stuff you could place in partials that is different from its original description as well.
  • Options
    zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Primarily the house decors of a wizard who more "inhabited" the house, as opposed to "living" there, if ya know what i mean. heh. There are 3 Human building rooms. The 3rd room of the 3 rooms is where excavation started as part of the wizards research and the location of the first encounter, so it's kinda wrecked and such. I mean i've got bookshelves and such, a couple tables and wine barrels/food stuffs. Lots of books since he traveled here for research, potions. It just seems like its all fine, but the walls are pretty bare save my wall lights i'm using instead of the hanging light default to the human building rooms. I did use 3 banners, throughout the 3 rooms, and 1 hanging rug. Few shelves of stuff in 1 room. I guess i could put a single picture up over what I made his desk, kind of like a portrait of his master or something...

EDIT: Also why are there no pick axes or shovels or rakes hoes etc as details. =/
    EDIT: Apparently you can't connect Dungeon rooms to Crypts, but you can connect human rooms to both..wth =/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You should be able to connect anything with the blue door emblem but only on the first floor level. Otherwise you need to use a teleport that matches your desired door type-type or the sparkly wall/orb teleporters near the detail you want for your doors. As far as wall coverings for your "inhabited" house, maybe he took to writing runes on the walls. Could leave the walls more decorated like the original residents would have had them. Just toss an occasional wizard-type object on them as extra storage for him.
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Windows, with or without drapery.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Also don't forget stacks of logs near fireplaces.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The wizard was running experiments on x, and as a result x is stacked all over the place.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Crystal ball collector.
  • Options
    nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    zlainfurry wrote: »
    How many details to a single room before you start to feel more "there is a lot of **** in here" instead of "this is a pretty well laid out room".
    Suggestions and opinions appreciated! ~_^

My rule of thumb is there's no such thing as too much detail. Though you should always design your rooms with purpose and make each one different. A lot of authors get lazy on the details and it shows. Run a regular cryptic solo dungeon and if you use less detail than they did you need to step it up.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • Options
    levitatemelevitateme Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Getting a room that feels "lived in" doesn't actually require that much detail. That said, I'm not sure if it is possible to go 'overboard'... instead, you end up with tacky. For example, every surface doesn't need a painting--that's just bad interior design. I think it's actually harder to show that a relatively empty room is meant to be empty. For example, in the first place you visit in my Alt Ent (see sig) quest, the back room of the bar has construction pallets laying around. The same thing for 'unfinished' rooms of the dungeon.

One of the things to look out for when using the interior details and rooms are bleed through. For example, those big plants don't have a flat side so they will go through the wall if you aren't careful. :/
    Currently working on : Shopping Mall Security (NW-xxxxxxxxx)
    Author of the LGBT quest: Alternative Entertainment (NW-DHQPDNBZM)