test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Riddles in the dark. Version 1.9 - NW-DLEWTKWKD

lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
Riddles in the dark. (Part 1) Version Final - NW-DLEWTKWKD

Brethren of Five, by Draedis@lolsorhand
Short Code:NW-DLEWTKWKD
Mission Type: Indoor/Outdoor. Storyline/RP and Exploration.
Average Duration:20-40 minutes.
Amount of Combat: Medium/Heavy to Extreme. Depending on area and how you go about it. I would like point out that MANY of the encounters are avoidable, as in you can sneak past them, even without being a Trickster. - And groups are pullable when it comes to the larger ones, such as one boss battle in the Cavern, and the beginning of the last area.
Starts at: Protectorate, Neverwinter.
Maps: 8, (Home in Protectorate, Meeting Place, The Golden Rooster, Camp, Encounter, Caverns, Shore Camp, Letters in red.)

Suggestions: Read what the conversations say, it's quite important and at some points, certain wordings will have dire consequences, and might even fail the quest alltogether. And certain things might carry meaning across the campaign, or the quest itself.

Mission Summary: After meeting with a mysterious stranger, and heard his offer to find a measly little letter for a good payment, you've decided to take up on the offer and set off to your first clue of finding this letter. A man named Gromy lives in an encampment quite far away from Neverwinter.

Description:

Storyline/RP with heavy encounters. (It is rushable for daily, i'm not forcing story on anyone.)
Difficulty: Solo - Hard/Extreme | Duo : Medium/Extreme - Party Easy/Medium/Hard (It is failable, in certain places and dialogue.)

You've been asked to meet with a stranger back in Neverwinter at his home. However, He had seemingly heard of your talents and offered you a "job" so to speak, this via a young messenger. You are to find a letter, and the first clue being a ranger that lives far east from the city. The letter is to brought back it back to him or one of his servants, the codeword being, "Grainbottle", the means seems to do this seemed unimportant to him.. - He also did offer quite the reward for completing his request. Although, the man's intentions were at best unclear, and the only detail you could remember of him were his unatural deep stare.

((This map is the first part of the campaign "Brethren of Five." - It's mixed with some humour, dialogues, an encounter. - 2 players or more recommended.

With the the last update, the final boss encounter has a choice of difficulty, since i've heard it's too easy, and too hard. I hope this will give the boss some weight to the questline.

If you want me to (if foundry isn't limited in that regard.) For alternate routes to reach Neverwinter, i can start working on that. But in the end it is up to you to decide, would you want that?

And thanks all for helping me build this map, i've put considerable ammount of time into it, adding details on a daily basis, dialogues and improvements. But before i really jump into part 2, i have a need to feel, it is.. Done. While creations such as these selldom follow with such a feeling, it can be more polished than not.

---Screens <(^^)<
RFy592Ll.jpg

6pexxU7l.jpg

FkL17FCl.jpg

---

Special thanks to those who seem to deem the map worthy of tips, and the high praise. I'm quite humbled by it.
And i will put their usertags here if they wish for it.

The foundry description will say Finalized when this update hits the servers. Then, i will have a long playthrough and finally enjoy it myself, or perhaps with a party.

Safe travels out there :)
Drae
I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
Post edited by lolsorhand on

Comments

• Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Update: Version 2.1, fixed clipping issues and updated certain dialogues. Polished the storyline, tooltips, warnings. And had a friend help me with the grammar.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Update 2.2 - Currently publishing, will be done within 15 minutes. - Various bug fixes, and improvements on certain details. Did another test run with a two-hander, cleared in under 20min, and zero deaths.

Update 2.3 - Improvements on detail, and dialogue. - Chase scene now more or less working as intended.

Upcoming 2.4 -
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Space Hamster bump for great justice! - Still going strong, and as said, i'll get you a review if you give me one. Though still waiting for two to fall in >.>
    I like turtles.

• Options
    darriot777darriot777 Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    I'll gladly trade reviews with you! I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work.
    Here's mine: NW-DP6JVC2WO
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    darriot777 wrote: »
    I'll gladly trade reviews with you! I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work.

Will get straight through that asap :3<3
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013

Reviewed, don't take it too harsch, because with work i can see that quest/maps becoming quite interesting. Just as it is now, it seems far from done, but it did work without any problems.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Emergency fix, accidently created a "bug" making it impossible to continue past caverns, fix published.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    Reviewed, don't take it too harsch, because with work i can see that quest/maps becoming quite interesting. Just as it is now, it seems far from done, but it did work without any problems.

Thanks! And yes, you are correct. This is my first foundry quest, so I'm expecting critical reviews and am actually depending on them. So, I do not take it harshly. Thanks for the review.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Of course, as soon as I get on to play, I notice the server's down... Just my luck. lol. Don't worry, I won't leave you hanging.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Of course, as soon as I get on to play, I notice the server's down... Just my luck. lol. Don't worry, I won't leave you hanging.

Hehe don't worry, though i'd take a friend with me since it's rec. 2 players or more. Solo it's possible, but can be quite taxing.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Okay, so the good, the bad and the ugly:
    First, the good:
    1) Great story. I see it going well into a full blown campaign.
    2) I really liked the fact that the whole time I'm looking for a simple letter while wading through armpit high goblin bodies. I like the doing-great-things-for-something-so-small, idea.
    3) I was wondering how a chase scene could be done in this game, now I know. :) (But I wonder how players would feel if they don't have a horse yet, or if they can't sprint)
    The Bad:
    1) Use the "Out of Character" marks in dialogue instead of the *looks around.* It'll look more professional.
    2) It seemed odd to me, having to click on a banner to go to the next map.
    3) The first portal - while a cool idea - didn't match the other portal (one was in the air, the other at ground level). The one in the air was difficult to click on, I much prefered the second portal.
    4) I understand that you wanted combat to be hard, and even gear the quest to a party, but stacking encounters like that might frustrate high level players. At times I just wanted the combat to be over with.
    The ugly... well, there isn't any. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hmm, i've tried this with both my low levels and 60s, so it works just as well with both level ranges from what i've gathered.
    I'll look into banner travel thing, a beta remnant :)
    Will look into the "out of character" in dialogues
    - The portal, cannot be fixed. I can't move it in 3d, i might be able to move it aside to make it fit the terrain. Atm it's just a bug/foundry limitation that i might be able to work around.
    And the chase scene, well. It has its limitations but its tested quite well, you won't need to worry about it too much, and the patrol speed isn't that huge. Mounts is not required. :)

- The encounters, i might look into. - Though, they are placed as intended but i'd rather them not reappear again. Perhaps have to make it a quest to kill certain mobs to avoid them from respspawning it seems.

And lastly, thanks for the pointers. - I will heed them and work them in the a big update today. ( Adding more dialogues, journals and minor details here and there. )
    Also, i beg of them to fix sounds/music in the foundry. It will enhance the experience so much =/

Much love <3
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Okay, so the good, the bad and the ugly:
    First, the good:
    1) Great story. I see it going well into a full blown campaign.
    2) I really liked the fact that the whole time I'm looking for a simple letter while wading through armpit high goblin bodies. I like the doing-great-things-for-something-so-small, idea.
    3) I was wondering how a chase scene could be done in this game, now I know. :) (But I wonder how players would feel if they don't have a horse yet, or if they can't sprint)
    The Bad:
    1) Use the "Out of Character" marks in dialogue instead of the *looks around.* It'll look more professional.
    2) It seemed odd to me, having to click on a banner to go to the next map.
    3) The first portal - while a cool idea - didn't match the other portal (one was in the air, the other at ground level). The one in the air was difficult to click on, I much prefered the second portal.
    4) I understand that you wanted combat to be hard, and even gear the quest to a party, but stacking encounters like that might frustrate high level players. At times I just wanted the combat to be over with.
    The ugly... well, there isn't any. :)

OOC Added into NPC emotes. X
    Banners not long used for leaving area, instead you will see a backpack with tooltip. X
    A wooden ramp now leads up to the portal, making it easier to use. And more sense. X
    The first -chock- troop, changed slightly to make it harder to PULL the whole group. - ( Mind this was intended to reward players who think before they rush into things, it still is just that, but easier now. )
    Last exit, will not be a backpack but something else.

- I will publish this update now, and go back to improving further details on the maps. Things need be added.

- Update 2.6, publishing now. Changes accomodate what you pointed out, though no encounters removed. Merely moved/changed positions.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    2.8 - I believe the final touches have been made, i will improve on the map from time to time but now i will start working on part 2. Publishing now, estimated time will be 20-30 min. (It's starting to take quite long to publish.)
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Welcome more pointers!, mind. - I am trying my best as to write correctly in the quest. There are many dialogues, much text. And many grammar errors to correct, since reasons explained.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Final bump, the rest is up to what you would like to see in the map. - If nothing, including improvements, i will start making part 2.

For those that didn't catch it quite off the bat, It's a storyline, that is skippable for those hack n' slashers who wish it so. It's a great map for leveling, but i've made it so, for those who wish to play it for the story the key is exploration. Many encounters are in fact avoidable, but it's often up to the player him/herself to just put some thought into it.

If you wish to bullrush through this at solo, i'd say.. You might have a great time, or a bad time, depending on what kind of player you are. It is best to play with a friend, or party, and quite RP friendly.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Bump for great justice, or rememberance of Quayle the awesome gnome.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    mizuryuhimeotomemizuryuhimeotome Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yea..uhh...im at the end when im with the Golem and he asks for the letter...i cant choose either option as it says "You do not have this skill"...wth am i supposed to do?! :(
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yea..uhh...im at the end when im with the Golem and he asks for the letter...i cant choose either option as it says "You do not have this skill"...wth am i supposed to do?! :(

The golem drops the letter on the ground, you have to take it from the ground through an interactable. (The dialogue gives you a fair hint about this) Sorry for the trouble, it's just the way i've designed my campaign maps. Dialogue is key :)
    I like turtles.

• Options
    hanif1992hanif1992 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I got the same problem as you.. i cannot choose an option with the mysterious golem..