Comments

• bloodraiderx42bloodraiderx42 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    sticky pls
  • mawaddah99mawaddah99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Stick this please !
    Nice build and i will use it on my GWF :#
    The author of this topic you will not get the power build do you use? Like Feat ?
  • vampman06vampman06 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it is in the 'Master List of Class Builds' sticky
  • evo404evo404 Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2013
    Hey there :) I'm a Half-Orc, but I plan on following this build, with a bit of a variation... Instead of taking Armor Specialization, I took 5/5 in unstoppable action, 4/5 in steely defense and 2/3 in weapon mastery. Do you think that's a viable option? Overall, great build :)

That's what I did. I think Unstoppable action is great paired with Destroyer capstone but my main thought process is that it's nice to get the feats that you can't recreate with gear/enchants. You can get plenty of power and crit from gear but there's no gear that gives you increased Det gain. That guideline is not set in stone or anything but I always take it into account along other factors.
  • frenzyridfrenzyrid Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Staying Power: Weapon Master's Strike reduces the target's mitigation to your Encounters by 15%; On top of the 6% bonus from the Feat "Endless Assault" that's 21% increased Encounter damage not including the damage bonus from STR. On a boss fight or in PvP it's nice to apply this first before engaging with Sure Strike.

I am not so keen on staying power as it is only effecting encounter abilities, isn't Disciples of war a better investment as it will also effect your at-will abilities?
  • a2ura2ur Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    People still think that power is the best stat for gwf? Stacking power is the biggest fail you can do on gwf. Make a simple test. Go and check your hits on target dummy with full gear and only weapon geared. You still think that power is the best stat?
  • dandamisdandamis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mizery187 wrote: »
    Disciple of Strength: 6% bonus damage increase from STR; Being I get 16% already from having 26 STR that totals to 22% increased damage.

I actually read (or at least skimmed) every single post in this thread and noone mentioned anything about this that I could find. Are you 100% sure this is how this feat works? I just rolled a GWF as an alt to play around with and I decided to put my first feat point at lvl 10 into this to test. When hovering over my strength stat nothing has changed in the bonus to damage that strength gives. If it were calculated as you specify above, then it should have increaded my damage bonus by another 2% when hovering over the strength attribute. It really doesn't make sense to me to calculate it the way you do anyway since if it were to give a flat 6% bonus (at rank 3) then that's not really increasing the "bonus from strength" but just giving an extra 6% damage by itself.

The wording is not very specific on the feat so it's hard to know exactly how it's calculated, but my guess is that it's something like this: Say your weapon + power bonus gives you 1000 damage (just to make the math easier) - and from 26 strength, you have 16% more dmg so 16% of 1000 = 160 extra damage. Now at max rank this feat gives 6% of THAT which is 9.6 extra damage (which is less than 1% total gain in damage). IMHO this is not enough to make this feat worthwhile.

Perhaps some of you know the way this is calculated instead of guessing and if so, please do correct me. :)
  • mizery187mizery187 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, that was a reading error on my behalf. It is a 6% increase of the 16% it gives you; Though I still feel it's a better choice for myself over Toughness.
    Akfortyseven@mizery187
  • dandamisdandamis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, I searched the forums after posting and found some threads discussing it. There is at least some empirical evidence to support the conclusion that it does, in fact, give a flat damage increase - that 3 ranks is equal to 6 strength points.

Of course, not all people came to the same conclusion, but interestingly even in this thread where the conclusion is different, there is still support for the value of taking this feat.

I would like to know for sure - especially since my main is a CW and there is a similar feat for CW - although it is 5 feat points for a max of 5% bonus instead of 3 points for 6% so not as clear cut if it turns out to be as I was originally thinking. Guess we'll just have to keep testing. :)

Thanks for your swift reply, BTW.
  • ioannides5ioannides5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This build is silly... destroyer build without using roar? Roar should NEVER leave a gwf's bar.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dandamis wrote: »
    Well, I searched the forums after posting and found some threads discussing it. There is at least some empirical evidence to support the conclusion that it does, in fact, give a flat damage increase - that 3 ranks is equal to 6 strength points.

Of course, not all people came to the same conclusion, but interestingly even in this thread where the conclusion is different, there is still support for the value of taking this feat.

I would like to know for sure - especially since my main is a CW and there is a similar feat for CW - although it is 5 feat points for a max of 5% bonus instead of 3 points for 6% so not as clear cut if it turns out to be as I was originally thinking. Guess we'll just have to keep testing. :)

Thanks for your swift reply, BTW.

There is an easy way to test this. When you respec, before putting points into it, take note of tooltip damage of the encounters on your bar (not in your powers window). Then put 1 point and see how much the tooltip damage goes up by,
    I know for CW it works exactly as it says. It adds a flat 5% NOT an extra 5% of your current bonus.
    ioannides5 wrote: »
    ... Roar should NEVER leave a gwf's bar.

I concur :P PvE wise of course.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • frenzyridfrenzyrid Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ioannides5 wrote: »
    This build is silly... destroyer build without using roar? Roar should NEVER leave a gwf's bar.

I am using this build but with Roar instead of Flourish, I also dumped Staying Power in favour of Disciple of War as majority of your damage comes from at-wills and not encounter powers and Disciple affects both (plus dailies) where as Staying Power only adds damage to encounter powers.

The build is solid and the destroyer bonus is really the only thing I changed from my last build.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You can now use the test server to check stuff easily, and Disciple of War does, in fact, do exactly what it says on the tooltip, it increases the resulting power damage by given percent (sometimes more, i guess it depends on the way the power damage is calculated).

Now if only people weren't massive dicks and come spam **** at the target dummies when I'm testing something that would be great.

Can you place dummies in the Foundry? That would be fantastic.
  • templarknight91templarknight91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Curious which gear are you using? and are you using a Vorpal enchantment in your weapon? Gear and enchantments would play a big impact on the dmg, also I really wish we could fully respec our characters from Race and begining bonus points we get which I put into something very bad because I had no clue at what they did the 1st time I played the game and now can't re do that.
  • blitzliteblitzlite Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mizery187 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see everyone is having a positive result with the build setup. As for a gear guide, that is in the making and will be posted here in the next couple of days.

Are you still going to post this gear guide? Had a look through the posts and unless I'm blind haven't seen it. Would reassure me on what to get or aim for.
  • rustypipe7889rustypipe7889 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just curious when you PvP how do you get around not having Knock Down in your encounters. I would love to use IB/Flourish/Restoring Strike but the lack of knock down just seems like such a hit as its stun time is very good. Without knockdown the only other encounter that stuns is Flourish but its stun is very limited. Just wondering what your findings where?
  • dr4twenti92dr4twenti92 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I posted that I switch out Restoring Strike for Takedown and Steel Blitz for Steel Grace whenever I PvP.
  • templarknight91templarknight91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Never mind my last question, I see we can hit 50k+ Easily on Bosses who are fully debuffed, so that explains that :P
  • spikefrspikefr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Is there a display of this build made on http://nwcalc.com/ to have a fast overview ?
    Thank you.
    edited July 2013
    There is something strange for this build.
    Marked ennemy for 15% more of damage aren't made with Daring Shout only ?
  • baconknightryderbaconknightryder Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    If we're talking about endgame PvE dungeons, that's totally worth it. Daring Shout is really underwhelming when you first get it with only 1 point and no 15% bonus damage from Powerful Challenge. But once you get that, it's nearly always on my hotbar during dungeons. You grab that and combine it with Roar, you should be able to go Unstoppable nearly all the time. You're gonna do more damage being able to go Unstoppable nearly non-stop than changing out Daring Shout for something like Flourish.

Oh and you also mark targets when you use Indomitable Battle Strike to kill an enemy, and also targets marked by a Guardian Fighter also get this bonus damage applied to you. Between a GF marking, you Daring Shout, and you using IBS to kill weak enemies, you'll have marks up on targets, at least the ones that matter (elites/bosses) for a very long time giving you a flat 15% damage boost.

But keep in mind this build only truly shines at level 60 once you can get Powerful Challenge maxed out, 3 points in Daring Shout, and play it in a group context, not solo.
    edited July 2013
    If we're talking about endgame PvE dungeons, that's totally worth it. Daring Shout is really underwhelming when you first get it with only 1 point and no 15% bonus damage from Powerful Challenge. But once you get that, it's nearly always on my hotbar during dungeons. You grab that and combine it with Roar, you should be able to go Unstoppable nearly all the time. You're gonna do more damage being able to go Unstoppable nearly non-stop than changing out Daring Shout for something like Flourish.

Oh and you also mark targets when you use Indomitable Battle Strike to kill an enemy, and also targets marked by a Guardian Fighter also get this bonus damage applied to you. Between a GF marking, you Daring Shout, and you using IBS to kill weak enemies, you'll have marks up on targets, at least the ones that matter (elites/bosses) for a very long time giving you a flat 15% damage boost.

But keep in mind this build only truly shines at level 60 once you can get Powerful Challenge maxed out, 3 points in Daring Shout, and play it in a group context, not solo.

I have made this build and i'm 60 but i haven't put points in Daring Shout or Roar.
    It wasn't write at all from what i have read...
  • baconknightryderbaconknightryder Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    Well that's the biggest part of ak's build I disagree with. Flourish is horrible for PvE unless we are talking about specing for single target boss damage. But what GWF worth their salt does that? You're just turning yourself into a ****ty Trickster Rogue.

Restoring Strike is good but it's more useful for Sentinel spec than Destroyer and I'm not gonna sacrifice Daring Shout or Roar for it. I may sometimes switch out Indomitable Battle Strike for it on particularly hard bosses when I need the extra heals though.

Using both Shout & Roar to get you Unstoppable more often is gonna heal you and mitigate more damage over time than replacing one of those for Restoring Strike will get you. That's why the Shout/Roar combo works so well, you're tanky as a motherfudger, you do increased damage, attack faster which helps you get more threat quickly off spawning mobs (good for peeling off healer/casters), makes you immune to CC's meaning attacks that would normally knock you down don't, which allows you to just keep hitting the enemy, and you gain Action Points at such a ridiculous rate you're able to pop off dailies super often. The vast majority of your damage as a GWF in PvE should be coming from At-will spam augmented by Unstoppable, not from direct damage Encounters.
  • topguidestopguides Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi,
    Can I add your build to http://mmominds.com?
    Tks