test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What did the lizards do to deserve this?!

landorf00landorf00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Caution: Contains mild spoilers to the zone "Pirate's Skyhold."

So upon entering the zone, graphically cool, swampy vibe but flying, no complaints. Then a bunch of pirates/company workers tell me "Hey we want this land. Please kill the folks that got here before us and hang their body parts as a warning so they don't mess with us!"

I'm not one to get sentimental over in-game mobs, but when I saw these guys had little houses and farms and gardens, I lost it. I don't even think they were outwardly hostile! Also it seems to be eerily similar to some things that have happened in real life (think western United States, 1800s), making the zone seem a little insensitive. Yeah, I get its supposed to be shady corporation business, but ****. Maybe redoing the zone/story to make the lizards active bloodthirsty monsters? Instead of little dudes with farms and families and hopes and dreams? Because right now I am not digging the "slaughter the natives" vibe.
Post edited by landorf00 on

Comments

• baohsubaohsu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    Heh I noticed that too. It's like the Lizardman equivalent of a commoner decides to step outside his hut one day to find a "Good" Halfling GWF at his stoop ready to plow his blade through his skull.
    Foundry author of the "Red Rum Runners" Campaign. Part 1: "WANTED: Physical Labor Needed" and Part 2: "Worst Employer Ever!"
  • malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know, those poor lizardfriends.

I didn't want to harm them. I love all types of lizards.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In one of my D&D campaigns a certain Dragonborn Paladin genocided all the Lizardfolk for having different religious beliefs. But he didn't hang their body parts up for everyone to see. He buried them face down in mud and put stakes through their bodies to keep them from finding their way to Heaven in the afterlife. >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You see lizards, I see a walking pile of XP in a fancy set of boots with a possible matching belt. :p
  • zophie#5279 zophie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pirate's Skyhold is where I send all my Leatherworking Skinners to gather leather for me. :cool:
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once we get playable lizardman characters we can end this injustice !
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My main is a Shadovar sorcerer (actually a CW since the sorcerer hasn't been released yet) and I don't even get a chance to side with my people to bring the light of civilization to the backwards, uneducated people of Vellosk. We Netherese turned the inhospitable Anauroch desert into a lush, verdant paradise, after all, so you can't even claim that the natives are better for nature.

/pout
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • mauktovormauktovor Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I felt the same way and it told me that the staff in charge dont know anything about D&D, because lizardman are NEUTRAL creature not evil one....
    Well you know your the good guy so you have to kill the bad guys cos they are evil so please yourself with a genocide.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey, those bandits might of had families too. For all you know, in your hack and slash justice, there could be a poor hungry family wondering when daddy is coming home. He just stole what he needed, and never hurt no one. I hear no tears for them.

And lets not forget the zombies. That poor zombie you just hacked to bits might of been someones grandma. Its not like she could help it.

Kobold orphans. I don't think I need to expand on this. Its just cruel.

Im just saying that murdering lizards is probably pretty tame to what we players will do in the name of XP, questing, and fashionable footwear. :D

*if you took any of this seriously, you have deeper issues then this forum can handle.
  • prometheusenprometheusen Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hahahaha! I thought the same thing.... buuuuuut... I really felt that Neverwinter needed a little more edge. I always thought fourth edition D&D was a little darker than its predecessors, I could certainly be mistaken since I never played it....

Of course, Skyhold is not exactly the "edge" or "darkness" I'd look to portray-- it is mildly tasteless given the similarities to good ol' John Smith bucking onto foreign soils and laying havoc on a thriving, non-hostile civilization... but then again, are they really thriving? And ****, they attack me most of the time! ... yeah OK... I deserve it haha.
  • slyteshslytesh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do feel bad for them too.

Play some Neverwinters Nights 2 - at the very least you can ally with them there instead of killing them all. Plus you learn they've been pushed back to the swaps by humanity, it's not even their natural habitat :(
  • baohsubaohsu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    The Nasher Rebels probably do have families, its like Bob Cratchet down on his luck joining Occupy Neverwinter.

And then you come in.
    Foundry author of the "Red Rum Runners" Campaign. Part 1: "WANTED: Physical Labor Needed" and Part 2: "Worst Employer Ever!"
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    They did nothing. I murdered the indigenous native population of the island just to make a profit for a bunch of pirates.

But I'm a rogue, so it's cool.

A bit harder to explain why a Cleric would do it. :D

I especially paused at the part about ripping the teeth from their jaws and hanging them up as a warning.

I didn't feel very heroic during that questline. ;)
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mauktovor wrote: »
    because lizardman are NEUTRAL creature not evil one....
    Perhaps, but Pirates are evil.
    If some evil Pirate dude came and told you to murder innocent civilians and he'll give you a sammich, would you just do it?
    Sadly, and make no mistake, this happens every day.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nothing like an in game re-enactment of the conquest of North America to make you feel proud to be an adventurer! Sure Pirates Skyhold shouldn't be called Plymouth rock?