test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need a reality check.

ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Here's the situation I am in as I see it.

I am a 60 GWF. I am around 9500 GS. I have declined some of the GS boosting feats. I am specced into Instigator and run mostly Arp, Recovery, Crit then Power. I am a good player, I play very conservatively when we have 1 DC and aggressively when we have 2 DCs. I am always on the right add, the right mob and work very well with whatever group I am in. I know the fights and watch videos. I just want to get that part out of the way.

Here's the problem. I am in a guild where we try to make all groups work. We really try not to exclude people who are willing to try. However, it seems that when you have a GWF in your group, you are dramatically limiting your success on many final bosses. Moreover, it really brings out the fact that there are alot of bad CWs, TRs, and DCs out there getting by simply by virtue of their classes strengths in the NW dungeons as they are designed.

Basically, it seems that with a GWF or a DPS GF in the group, you're either excluding an extra healer, a controller, or a single target DPS. Virtually every instance has a final boss which is difficult without doubling up on either CWs or DCs unless you simply overpower and overgear the instance.

Such as it is, it gives the appearance that the GWF is the weak link in the chain. That taking a GWF is too much work because the other classes need to carry them when I really don't think that is the case. What I really see is that everyone has to play at their peak to get the job done.

Now, my T2 experience is limited in this game because some of the more outspoken players in the guild insist on the ideal group comps (2CW, 2 DC, 1 TR) and pugging is horrific on a GWF. But case in point. Final boss Spider King. Either you have very strong single target DPS and burn through the bosses regen, or you need to burn down the adds (small spiders) before she can regen off them. In this case, you can get through it with mediocre CWs paired with a mediocre TR because he's doing so much ST DPS just facerolling and the CWs are doing an okay job with Adds but neither one reaches a critical mass. Throw me into the group instead of the TR and I can't do enough single target damage to overcome the CWs lack of skill dealing with adds. Is that my fault? Probably not, but it gives the impression that it is.

We did it with 2 DCs, 2 CWs and Me and we just couldn't make progress despite my best effort.

Is this just something to power through? Should I consider moving into another spec to boost single target and try to overcome?

I really like the class and want to make it work but I think short of a static group....
Steelkat/Unfrozen Caveman - DCs
Guild Leader of MOPP4
MOPP 4′s community was created to cater to those who have served or currently serve in the armed forces around the world as well as friends, family & supporters of the armed forces. We also now proudly support the Wounded Warrior Project. For more details please go here.
Post edited by ataranes on

Comments

• stratrat1956stratrat1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    Need a reality check in a fantasy MMO RPG.......
    What? Me worry?
  • supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've cleared every dungeon with a group makeup of one class each. There is no excuse. If your all class group isn't clearing content then its your fault, not the games.
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    I've cleared every dungeon with a group makeup of one class each. There is no excuse. If your all class group isn't clearing content then its your fault, not the games.

I don't disagree with that. I think it can and obvously has been done, I just think that a group with a GF or GWF has much less margin for error so it requires other players to step up their game. The end result, when it doesn't go well, is that GWF or GF is seen as the weak link.

On Dracolich, at final boss I was 5MM total damage behind one of our TRs (who think's he's the man), but he just couldn't stay alive out there on his own against the Dracolich, but I was doing just fine.

We wiped, and now he doesn't want to run it anymore without the 2/2/1 crowd pleaser. He's not alone.
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    MOPP 4′s community was created to cater to those who have served or currently serve in the armed forces around the world as well as friends, family & supporters of the armed forces. We also now proudly support the Wounded Warrior Project. For more details please go here.
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013

In case your ego was blocking the monitor like I know it is oft to do...
    ataranes wrote: »
    Is this just something to power through? Should I consider moving into another spec to boost single target and try to overcome?

I really like the class and want to make it work but I think short of a static group....

A player asking for help. Yes, yes... let's call him a bad and then tell him to lrn2play instead of helping the guy out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't disagree with that. I think it can and obvously has been done, I just think that a group with a GF or GWF has much less margin for error so it requires other players to step up their game."

Opinion is not fact!

Sounds more like bad players than class problems.

The problem is a large portion of the community are sheep and expect to be lead by their masters. While the rest of us think for ourselves and find out what works. Stop listening to the community and go see what works for you and your group.

I prefer to run double DPS GF & 1 DC as it makes all trash/adds nothing to worry about. But others in my guild like Double DC or will go 1 DC & 1 GF or take who ever wants to go and beat the dungeons np. The reason why is they are all experienced players and you really only need 1 healer to down any of the bosses.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If a TR can't stay alive on Dracolich it's because they're a bad. It's not even top100 hardest mobs to tank in my gaming history and it doesn't really have a difficult pattern to deal with.

Also, I'm assuming 5m damage behind is due to multiple attempts in which case he's pretty **** tier. Dying a lot and not having the skills to tank it properly means he doesn't have bleed stacks up full time (or good ones at that) and if he doesn't have those then his single target dps is reduced by 40-50%.

That said.

A GWF does make it harder for the rest of the group. You're also not being very intelligent if you do things with a group makeup such as DC DC CW CW GWF but that's besides the point.

A GWF means you're losing 1 important job, and usually it's easier (at least as far as CN goes) to lose a CW but that means the remaining CW needs to be pro status or you have no chance. The rest of the dungeons are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> easy if you run DC CW CW GWF TR but again, take into account that if those 2xCW aren't on voice then they are likely going to make a GWF pretty useless because they do way more damage knocking stuff around than they do balling it up real nicely for someone who does less damage than them.

Castle Never is also doable DC CW CW GWF TR but with the lack of the Fig8 healing area to kite the other CW has to be pro status too. Basically, the one CW will be in charge of the adds but the other will need to be pulling adds, debuffing the boss, and ready to mass CC at a moments notice in the case of a failed knockout or people going down.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hmm...my only real suggestion is to take a look here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?173021-ExtinctioN-style-GWF-Initiator-leave-them-all-bloody

This is a pretty darn good guide to the Instigator build, including suggestions on gearing and relative worth of different stats.

At first blush, I would suggest putting power a little higher on your stat priority than dead last. ArP should probably be around 2200 or so judging from the forums, although I'll be really honest I prefer Power > Crit > Recovery > ArP on my Destroyer.

Last thing, it sounds like your guild is full of either exploiters or jerks. If they won't include you, and it sounds like they're moving that way, change guilds. All the content is 100% clearable with a balanced party, but the caveat to that is that it will be slightly harder. Not everyone is adverse to difficulty, and if all the players are reasonably skilled it's probably more fun. TBH the only real reason to run the 'optimal' configuration is because you don't want to try hard and want to clear it faster. I admit that's probably 95% of gamers right there, but I wish you luck in your endeavor to find a better guild.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
    edited May 2013
    ataranes - Spider queen is a DPS race and you had a team that could not beat the race. It is not an issue with your class but with your groups composition. If you had brought a TR with decent dmg vs. 2 CWs you would have beat the boss.

The first time I did spider queue my team had 2 TRs on boss with me tanking add's and CW helping me trash. We had major issues too because the TR's DPS were **** and bleed doesn't stack. ;) We eventually beat the boss but it would have been alot easier if we had just 1 TR with high DPS and a 2nd DPS class.

Many MMOs have DPS race bosses and if you can't do the DPS you can't beat the boss. So don't worry about it and move on.
  • kwazikwazi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should join a different guild then. What are your current stats/feat setup? People might have been undergeared for dracolich as well.

Generally speaking a GWF increases group dps by a lot just from Student of the Sword and if you're instigator, from those combat advantage feats. Running spider without a TR is probably impossible, I've done it with double cleric CW, TR, and myself- CW on adds, myself and rogue on the boss. I was supporting the rogue while doing respectable dps (thanks to focused destroyer, reaping strike+ feat and student of the sword) and with the CW not being terrible we killed her in no time at all. Enfeeble + SoTS really amps up (rogue) damage by a ton.

I honestly think destroyer is the way to go unless you have people that are good enough to take advantage of all the combat advantage you're giving them. Gear is also a factor- no matter how good you are if you don't have the numbers behind it you're probably going to fail. It's something that happens in MMOs.

11.6k GS here with arp cap thanks to ioun, although I can hit it without it thanks to disciple of war. I've done T2s, cleared castle never up to dracolich with TR, GWF, 2x DC (double shield 2strong) CW. If our clerics have been better geared I think we would've cleared it.
  • ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    I really didn't mean to throw my guild under the bus, they are not the issue. We exist for an excellent cause, so I am here to stay.
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    edited May 2013
    I'll post my stats and build when I get back to my PC. I think my performance is generally fine. I know that most people I run tend to find that between my CA buff from not so fast (instigator) and SoS that they usually do more damage and have some of their highest crits.
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    edited May 2013
    It's okay, Envy just got facerolled by a PUG in PvP and blocked everyone on the other team after running his mouth.

Can safely ignore his comments as he doesn't even play GWF.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'll post my stats and build when I get back to my PC. I think my performance is generally fine. I know that most people I run tend to find that between my CA buff from not so fast (instigator) and SoS that they usually do more damage and have some of their highest crits.

You're probably doing fine. The thing is it's really hard to directly measure the effects of damage boosts to your team. Every run at a dungeon will be slightly different even with the same group and characters. The people you run with can try and see if they do more or less damage with you around, but how do you weigh that against increased control and damage from a second CW versus a GWF? You would need five people that are willing to crunch numbers instead of play for at least a day or two.

I think that running with a like-minded CW is probably the best way to ensure you maximize your potential. Arcane Singularity is a GWF's best friend, yet I see roughly half the CW I team with never use it in favor of presumably higher damage done by their knockbacks. Those CW are the one's I wish to choke with my mind and throw into a bulkhead. If that's the playstyle that maximizes their DPS I can see why CW do not want GWF on their team. With their rotation, no GWF would ever do decent damage in a team with them.

In all fairness, they kill my rogue outright. A big knockback off a cliff at the wrong time and Duelists Fury happily drags me with them.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    You're probably doing fine. The thing is it's really hard to directly measure the effects of damage boosts to your team. Every run at a dungeon will be slightly different even with the same group and characters. The people you run with can try and see if they do more or less damage with you around, but how do you weigh that against increased control and damage from a second CW versus a GWF? You would need five people that are willing to crunch numbers instead of play for at least a day or two.

I think that running with a like-minded CW is probably the best way to ensure you maximize your potential. Arcane Singularity is a GWF's best friend, yet I see roughly half the CW I team with never use it in favor of presumably higher damage done by their knockbacks. Those CW are the one's I wish to choke with my mind and throw into a bulkhead. If that's the playstyle that maximizes their DPS I can see why CW do not want GWF on their team. With their rotation, no GWF would ever do decent damage in a team with them.

In all fairness, they kill my rogue outright. A big knockback off a cliff at the wrong time and Duelists Fury happily drags me with them.

I do well with a few of the CWs who place their singularities right on me to make my life peachy keen. We absolutely shred trash in CN and I love it. Just no luck on Dracolich yet.

My current stats, fwiw,

GS: 9677
    Power 3314
    Crit 1371
    Arp 1013
    Rec 2314
    Def 2177
    Life 706

Using Reaver's Edge at the moment.

My stats are in flux as I slowly convert from pure power/recovery to arp/crit/power which is where I think I will do well with the instigator build.

Unstoppable 5/5
    Disciple of Strength 3/3
    Armor Spec 3/3
    Con Focus 1/3
    Weapon Mastery 2/3
    Criticial Bonus 3/3

5/5 Deep Gash
    5/5 Student of the Sword
    5/5 Unstoppable Recovery
    5/5 Vicious Advantage
    5/5 Allied Opportunity
    5/5 Group Assault
    1/1 Instigator Capstone
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have levelled GWF to 60 played up all the dungeons until guild started to refuse to bring me to T2 dungeons and I get insta kicked form pug groups. So I quit the guild rolled a GF. Levelled to 60 joined a new guild and played all dungeons until guild refused to bring me to T2 dungeons. Quit the guild rolled a DC..... and the story continues.
  • supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's okay, Envy just got facerolled by a PUG in PvP and blocked everyone on the other team after running his mouth.

Can safely ignore his comments as he doesn't even play GWF.

9PHZtpQ.jpg
    I sure don't play GWF.

Youtube Channel

edited May 2013

It's funny... because that's the comment you chose to reply to. /shakeshead

I'll never understand internet egos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Deep gash is worthless, take greatweapon focus instead. It doesn't make sense to have a wicked strike/wms rotation build but not even have the feat that boosts at-will damage. Take the one point out of con focus and put it into weapon mastery. The point in con focus is worthless compared to that 1% extra crit to keep SoTS/general dps up.

Reaver's edge is garbage, take Ice Axe if you need something cheap or get the drake greatsword (recommended), it has superior DPS stats.

Are you running full bladestorm? You should double dip t1 set bonuses since your critical strike seems lacking. Crit is a huge part of GWF dps, I'd recommend at least 30% unbuffed for SoTS.

Also I do not understand Envy's picture. Is a GWF wearing T1/pvp gear something to brag about?
    edited May 2013
    I just enjoy trolling him ever since he tried to deny farming CN by using the glitched GF set.

I don't even care that he was doing it, but he was caught doing it and denied it. lulzy.
    edited May 2013
    kwazi wrote: »
    Deep gash is worthless...

Depends on the build really. But I agree. Unless you're taking instigator cap I wouldn't go for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    It's certainly worthless compared to greatweapon focus though even with instigator cap, and there's no way you're ditching SoTS. Especially with a low crit rating like his, deep gash won't be proccing that often so greatweapon focus is a superior choice either way.
    edited May 2013
    I just enjoy trolling him ever since he tried to deny farming CN by using the glitched GF set.

I don't even care that he was doing it, but he was caught doing it and denied it. lulzy.

Envy/BieberBoy is a well known sploiter, not really news, but he does have good info from time to time. That is if he can take the time to stop being jerky to people. This is what happens when you write a "guide" and a few people watch some YouTube videos. Suddenly you think you're Phillip Defranco and just start talking down to anyone with any questions on the internets.

Funny thing is he'd probably be a lot more popular and get the "fame" he wants if he just stopped trying to be a tough guy in-game and on the forums. He's got the info. He's got the friends. He's got the leg up on GF experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    His crit rate is low because of his gear though, even running AoW2/Vig2 and normal T2 jewelry GWF pisses crit. He's probably missing a Cat/Ioun stone and some of the better gear. Hell, you can tell that just from his power.
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    It's funny... because that's the comment you chose to reply to. /shakeshead

I'll never understand internet egos.

Who doesn't reply to comments directed towards them. It'd be rude not to.~

Yeah it sucks that I got banned for doing that. Oh wait, I didn't get banned because I didn't do it. Funny how things work out.

Youtube Channel

edited May 2013
    Neither did I :D
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    Envy/BieberBoy is a well known sploiter, not really news, but he does have good info from time to time. That is if he can take the time to stop being jerky to people. This is what happens when you write a "guide" and a few people watch some YouTube videos. Suddenly you think you're Phillip Defranco and just start talking down to anyone with any questions on the internets.

Funny thing is he'd probably be a lot more popular and get the "fame" he wants if he just stopped trying to be a tough guy in-game and on the forums. He's got the info. He's got the friends. He's got the leg up on GF experience.

I don't care that people know of me. The only reason I made the guide was to shut people up crying about how awful they think their class is. I ought to write one for GWF to shut the new waves of complainers up. Fortunately, rogues arent whining so I can continue to let mine gather dust.

Youtube Channel

edited May 2013
    kwazi wrote: »
    It's certainly worthless compared to greatweapon focus though even with instigator cap, and there's no way you're ditching SoTS. Especially with a low crit rating like his, deep gash won't be proccing that often so greatweapon focus is a superior choice either way.

Have you ever used it while parsing? It accounts for about 8% total damage in the testing I have done and that was with a lower crit. As for crit, my crit rate us still 28.5%, it's not horrible, just not as high as it could be. GWF would be a 10% bonus on at-wills which probably means somewhere in the high 9% area towards total damage when you account for slam, encounters, etc. Deep gash probably does fall behind GWF then, but it's still a good feat. In fact, both feats together are so good I hate to not have them both and go Destroyer because SoTS is a must have obviously and no point being instigator without the capstone.
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    edited May 2013
    I admit I have not parsed it- my opinion comes from hitting mobs/bosses and watching the bleed dot damage carefully and I was not impressed at all. It may have been bugged temporarily for me but after the bleed finished ticking I crit with WMS again with no actual bleed damage. The bleed ticked for a grand total of 716 damage, faded, I crit again with no proc after and then the next crit swing procced the bleed.

I didn't want to see further testing after I saw that so I just immediately specced out of it and put my points elsewhere. My damage didn't really suffer at all as a result since I was doing fine without having specced into the bleed before.

For GWF, there's also the fact that the 10% is extremely consistent, scales with unstoppable really well, and gets better as you gain more power/arp/crit/weapon damage.
    edited May 2013

Most likely played vs. me.

I've destroyed Wrath the GWF many times in PvP.
    edited May 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Most likely played vs. me.

I've destroyed Wrath the GWF many times in PvP.

What's your IGN? I've only lost 4 matches on my GWF and they were all matches where I got stuck with bots.

Youtube Channel