test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Don't Nerf Rogues

mohawkrmohawkr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
edited May 2013 in The Thieves' Den
There. I said it. Come at me bro.

...seriously, though. The class is a glass cannon. Yes it hits hard... if you do it right. Yes it can get stomped... if you do it wrong or slip up for just a moment. It's a punish or be punished class, requiring the most skill to PvP with. Stop whining about it and learn the strengths and weaknesses of other classes. Then come back and tell me they are unbalanced.

/ Endrant
Post edited by mohawkr on

Comments

• syntalisynthsyntalisynth Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So far I completely agree with you. I have owned and been owned. The times I have been owned it is been by a better player or I messed up. We pump out insane amounts of damage but drop fast unless we can get out of the way.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Glass cannon is a choice. I have seen rogues with good deflection that can take a pretty good beating. These are in the minority, though, for some reason...!
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Oh, so Impossible to Catch doesn't make you auto-deflect every attack for 25% damage reduction for five seconds? Or, alternately, it doesn't make you completely 100% immune to crowd control and damage for five seconds?

I mean, in PvP it seems to me that five seconds is a long time to be immune to everything. I'd hardly call a rogue a glass cannon. More like an invulernable dynamo of death.

Although, with some T1 purples available at least as early as level 30 through bugged instances I think it's probably a moot point. I've seen a guy using a T1 purple sword on a GF that was merrily one shotting people in early level PvP matches. It's actually kind of absurd that people even do PvP with how broken the entire game is. Good luck fighting a person at level 40 when they have a level 60 sword.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    Oh, so Impossible to Catch doesn't make you auto-deflect every attack for 25% damage reduction for five seconds? Or, alternately, it doesn't make you completely 100% immune to crowd control and damage for five seconds?

I mean, in PvP it seems to me that five seconds is a long time to be immune to everything. I'd hardly call a rogue a glass cannon. More like an invulernable dynamo of death.

Although, with some T1 purples available at least as early as level 30 through bugged instances I think it's probably a moot point. I've seen a guy using a T1 purple sword on a GF that was merrily one shotting people in early level PvP matches. It's actually kind of absurd that people even do PvP with how broken the entire game is. Good luck fighting a person at level 40 when they have a level 60 sword.

anyone complaining about rogue is a very bad player, at lvl 60, with the right spec and equip the pvp translate in a 3 second burst fight, anyone can basically 2/3 shot, not just tricksters.

Yes we have impossible to catch, any good player could tell by a mile when we have that up and just run instead of wasting encounters by rage

dazing strike has a very long animation if not from stealth, you get it by it, you're a terrible player.

smoke bomb, it does not root you in place unfortunately, you know if you press W you can walk away from it

lashing blade, learn to dodge if you do it at the same second you see the big dagger it's a 20 second CD wasted for a tr and a win for you.

the oneshot daily everyone cry about(lurker assault) any CW with half brain can do exactly the same from range, a tank can rush and 2 shot you with no daily, the GWF can lock you down and PWN your face and the cleric, good luck killing it.

You need to learn to play or roll a tr and see how much OP they are or get to lvl 60 with your class and gear up, low lvl pvp is a joke on EVERY mmo out there.
  • archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I originally played a rogue and was involved in over 100 pvp matches (over 10k GS). After doing
    so many dungeons, in where almost every battle is melee unfriendly, I made a CW alt which
    originally was meant for PvE.

Once I hit 60, with T2 gear, I PvPed a 50 games or so. This I can tell you: Rogues are absolutely
    no problem for me. At least from a CW standpoint, I have zero problem beating even the good ones
    because I know exactly how a rogue plays and what and when to do it.

Advice to the other classes having problems: Outside of the one trick wonder Rogues who Lashing Strike
    you out of nowhere from stealth, fighting one 1v1 is very predictable. Expect the cloud, and many times
    you can dodge roll before he drops it (because most blow It right away). Many of the TRs hardest hitting attacks
    are telegraphed and you need to dodge roll them. The execute daily seems to have an infinite range sometimes,
    so don't think rolling away from melee will save you. Wait for him to go to the peak of the animation, and than
    roll.

In all honestly, as in most games, the vast majority of rogues are not very good. If they cant burst you right
    away, they run.
  • ariylaariyla Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what!!!! no no no nerfing of anything thank you very much..... I only know of nerfing of any class, boils down to people not knowing how to play the class. I love being a Rogue, and I intent to stay a Rogue, whether I fail at it or somehow how by a miniscule actually make it work :p ...
  • damianessdamianess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 283 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I originally played a rogue and was involved in over 100 pvp matches (over 10k GS). After doing
    so many dungeons, in where almost every battle is melee unfriendly, I made a CW alt which
    originally was meant for PvE.

Once I hit 60, with T2 gear, I PvPed a 50 games or so. This I can tell you: Rogues are absolutely
    no problem for me. At least from a CW standpoint, I have zero problem beating even the good ones
    because I know exactly how a rogue plays and what and when to do it.

Advice to the other classes having problems: Outside of the one trick wonder Rogues who Lashing Strike
    you out of nowhere from stealth, fighting one 1v1 is very predictable. Expect the cloud, and many times
    you can dodge roll before he drops it (because most blow It right away). Many of the TRs hardest hitting attacks
    are telegraphed and you need to dodge roll them. The execute daily seems to have an infinite range sometimes,
    so don't think rolling away from melee will save you. Wait for him to go to the peak of the animation, and than
    roll.

In all honestly, as in most games, the vast majority of rogues are not very good. If they cant burst you right
    away, they run.

There are rogues out there who don't run with the cookie cutter builds floating around. The ones who stealth and CoS you to death. If you're not dead by then, use impact shot before stealth runs out while stunning you and followup with 3 more IS in a row. If they really want to troll, use shadow strike when in trouble and reset.

I run a burst build because I like big numbers but those rogues can solo anyone without using a daily. Add in Impossible to Catch and you have a rogue that can kill from range.
  • naskahlnaskahl Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is refreshing to finally play a rogue class as deadly and as squishy as a rogue should be, and far as i can see...it should stay this way.
  • e11ze11z Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Glass cannon is a choice. I have seen rogues with good deflection that can take a pretty good beating. These are in the minority, though, for some reason...!

It's because if you make them harder to kill it becomes stupidly Overpowered.

I refuse to take advantage of the deflect as at the moment it is bugged.

25% damage reduction is a lie. It's actually 25% Taken.

E.g

10,000 k damage on a deflect = 2,500 damage taken.

It should get fixed soon because it's stupid to allow rogues to have high damage with very high livability.
    The Best PVP Guild on Dragon/Neverwinter: YoloOldSkoolSwagLoveNeverGingersLuvDupStep even if it's just one of us, you might as well just afk.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is just the skill that is bugged though. I mean I have seen a handful of rogues that actually have defense or deflect or something at a high enough rating to take a beating, say vs a big group in PVE. Have not seen them in action to say if that helps in pvp or not, but I would think so. I am trying to assemble some cheap gear to test this idea out myself but its an ongoing project.
  • soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rogue1shot.png

That daily needs to be nerfed, BADLY. That's not to say my own daily, Ice Knife, doesn't need to be nerfed either, because it does. I've hit people for over 30k with Ice Knife.

Dailies in general need to be toned down, but other than that, TRs seem to be a pretty balanced. Most of the cries for nerf come because of people getting 1-shot by that daily, and I can understand. I'm not gonna be a hypocrite saying CWs are fine, when I know we're not.

Devs have promised us time and time again that a balance patch is coming "soon", so I can only hope they'll "adjust" some of the TR and CW dailies, to bring them in line with other classes.
  • dread1313dread1313 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eros1986 wrote: »
    anyone complaining about rogue is a very bad player, at lvl 60, with the right spec and equip the pvp translate in a 3 second burst fight, anyone can basically 2/3 shot, not just tricksters.

Yes we have impossible to catch, any good player could tell by a mile when we have that up and just run instead of wasting encounters by rage

dazing strike has a very long animation if not from stealth, you get it by it, you're a terrible player.

smoke bomb, it does not root you in place unfortunately, you know if you press W you can walk away from it

lashing blade, learn to dodge if you do it at the same second you see the big dagger it's a 20 second CD wasted for a tr and a win for you.

the oneshot daily everyone cry about(lurker assault) any CW with half brain can do exactly the same from range, a tank can rush and 2 shot you with no daily, the GWF can lock you down and PWN your face and the cleric, good luck killing it.

You need to learn to play or roll a tr and see how much OP they are or get to lvl 60 with your class and gear up, low lvl pvp is a joke on EVERY mmo out there.

Totally agree with everything this person said. People who cry when a class beats them in pvp and then coming to the forums and crying nerf need to get bent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rogue1shot.png

That daily needs to be nerfed, BADLY. That's not to say my own daily, Ice Knife, doesn't need to be nerfed either, because it does. I've hit people for over 30k with Ice Knife.

Dailies in general need to be toned down, but other than that, TRs seem to be a pretty balanced. Most of the cries for nerf come because of people getting 1-shot by that daily, and I can understand. I'm not gonna be a hypocrite saying CWs are fine, when I know we're not.

Devs have promised us time and time again that a balance patch is coming "soon", so I can only hope they'll "adjust" some of the TR and CW dailies, to bring them in line with other classes.

Shocking execution only hits that hard if the target has about 10% or less hp left, in which case, you would have killed them with any daily. Its damage scales with the targets missing HP, it is impossible to "one shot" someone with it, because if they are at 100% hp, it only hits for about 4000 damage. Not to mention that Shocking excursion has a huge start up time and can be interrupted by any disable. **hint hint**. It is balanced fine, people just see the big numbers and rage without thinking about it.

Ice Knife is just outright a far better daily, it can do the same damage, from a range, and isn't dependant on the target being about to die anyway to hit the high numbers, its also far harder to interrupt or dodge.

Also, its clerics who dominate PvP, because of Astral shield stacking. Control wizards are a close second in terms of power, rogues are third, which is pretty mediocre in comparison to Clerics/wizards.