test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Map within a map

trixsterjltrixsterjl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Is it possible to exit a map explore a room and return to the map. Like if i was going to have 3 building to explore on a big map looking for something. On a custom map? Cant see a way to add in a map in the middle of a map.
Post edited by trixsterjl on

Comments

• nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you want it to be an optional map transition basically. (Since we can only have map transitions that tie into the story)

You'll have to use teleporters and a large enough map that you can create an indoor environment (somewhere the players can't see/goto) using details only. The way this works is the player teleports to the custom built indoor environment and can teleport back to the place he came from.

For example: I used an optional indoor environment in Protect the Caravan by creating a cave from scratch using only details. That is accessed via teleporters (that are blocked off if the player chooses to not take the optional path)

Though if you're just making a house, if you can line the details up well enough, they can just enter the house from an interactable door and you can have the house just be apart of the town. (you'll have to create the entire house from scratch though using details, no using prebuilt houses cause they don't have interiors)

If you want it tied into the story. AKA the player is supposed to go indoors you can just have a map transition and set the "leave from" from whatever detail in the previous map you want. (a door for example) and when he exits you can duplicate the outdoor map and make changes if you want it to change when he exits the indoor environment.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • trixsterjltrixsterjl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Ok thanks. I was trying to add extra objectives mid map to increase the length a bit. I'll just have to move it between map 1 and 2 or use the current map as you suggested thanks for the tips.
  • serudis1serudis1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just to butt in here. I am using an X-Large outdoor map and it is extremely detailed. At a certain part of the quest you enter a small hut to talk to an NPC, then you when you leave that hut I need it to take me back to that X-Large outdoor map. Do I have to copy it all and just paste it on a new map to make it work or can I have it exit onto the same map. Cause this map has a few of these transitions and I haven't figured out how to do this other than with teleporters.. which kind of ruins the whole story feel to it.. cause it's werewolves, not some mages lol.

Thanks!
  • nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    serudis1 wrote: »
    Just to butt in here. I am using an X-Large outdoor map and it is extremely detailed. At a certain part of the quest you enter a small hut to talk to an NPC, then you when you leave that hut I need it to take me back to that X-Large outdoor map. Do I have to copy it all and just paste it on a new map to make it work or can I have it exit onto the same map. Cause this map has a few of these transitions and I haven't figured out how to do this other than with teleporters.. which kind of ruins the whole story feel to it.. cause it's werewolves, not some mages lol.

Thanks!

Well if you don't need to change anything about the map, you can have the map transition go back to the exact same map, but if the player already killed some encounters or you want to move some npcs/details around you should duplicate the map and have them exit out to a duplicate version of the outdoor map.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • labmouse42labmouse42 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    I used teleporters in my map to help save loading screen time.

The problem I've found is that the teleport icons are not as user friendly as map transition points. When players are looking at my ladder to the cellar its reading "Press F to teleport" and I cannot change it.

Aside from that problem, I think teleporters are a good idea. I would rather put more into one map when possible to lower loading times for the players. Sitting at a loading screen is not fun.
    Foundry Quests
    Author : @labmouse43
    Short Code : NW-DJHHV5CGY
    Name : The Frosty Protologist
    Duration : 15 minutes
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the flip side, on a very long mission, map transitions can increase the chance you can get back to the mission if you disconnect or have to log out.

Just be very very very sure you select an overland map location for each transition so they can get back. (I'm not sure if it's bugged or people just haven't, but I've had to bail on missions because I left and couldn't re-enter)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?