test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Melee VS Range

zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This has been bugging me lately but it really seems like Cryptic has not made any distinction between the power of ranged characters and melee characters. Melee characters being more difficult to play and have a hard time escaping monsters attacks from always having to be so close to do damage are at a great disadvantage. Yet they seem to have nothing to show for it.

I have leveled GF and GWF to 60 I'm well on my way with Wizard and Cleric. After playing the fighters and painstakingly had to learn how to side step mobs attacks to keep my HP up and still get sword swings in without retaliation the Ranged characters I play are laughing and dancing around mobs with my sidesteps. And the damage Clerics and Wizards do compared to the fighters is even higher, especially in the case of the GWF.

GF and GWF have weaker defensive moves. Yes I am saying block is weaker. Now with the current block bug and how it always performs in dungeons. Block meter is destroyed to quickly in dungeons and there are unblockable attacks and attacks where you must face the attack blast point and not the mob that used it to block it. Block is not as good as wizard teleport. And sprint is just a no contest. It used to be good in beta 3 when it lasted longer and could be used ot dodge attacks and engage right now it only lasts long enough to do one or the other and GWF need it to engage.

Now I'm not commenting on rogue because I don't have enough experience with the class but at least they get the option to roll away from danger throw some daggers until there charge move is back up then blink right back into combat. But from what I hear rogues do have trouble taking hits in later levels.

So all I'm asking is should melee classes show more advantages in the area of damage,defense and/or dodge compared to the range classes?
Post edited by zardoz007 on

Comments

• oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Duuuuuuude get into an epic dungeon with your cleric, then i'm quite sure you'll stop qqing about melee classes.
    I did the opposite thing: I rolled a cleric as my main, then I went for a CW (got bored of it past lv 40), then I made a rogue and a GF and I was like: why did I even waste my time playing a cleric? ewwwww yes I know i'm a cleric fanboy so i'm gonna stick with him.

If you have issues with your melees... good luck with your cleric? I guess...
    :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    In Neverwinter, you can probably get away with allowing the GWF and TR more damage than the CW, because the crowd control superiority of the CW is in high demand. However, generally speaking, you can't give melee classes more sustained damage output than ranged classes.

What you can do, though, is give melee classes superior burst damage. That way, they can take advantage of their limited opportunities to attack ranged characters in PvP. That's how PvP should be balanced, especially when you've given the ranged casting class this much CC.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Melee classes have both better damage mitigation options AND better dodge options. Your argument is invalid, and poll serves no purpose. Besides the correct answer is "they should balance out".
  • teemoorteemoor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    zardoz007 wrote: »
    And the damage Clerics ... do compared to the fighters is even higher, especially in the case of the GWF.

Lolwut. My lvl 29 GF MOWS through lvl32 mob packs in Helm area. Leveling my cleric was a pain starting from that area.
  • aphasiaaphasia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    In Neverwinter, you can probably get away with allowing the GWF and TR more damage than the CW, because the crowd control superiority of the CW is in high demand. However, generally speaking, you can't give melee classes more sustained damage output than ranged classes.

What you can do, though, is give melee classes superior burst damage. That way, they can take advantage of their limited opportunities to attack ranged characters in PvP. That's how PvP should be balanced, especially when you've given the ranged casting class this much CC.

-Travail.

How come rogues have a range ability that does tons of damage??
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    they can become superior one from another, according to what their Role are, hey, this is RPG right?
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Melee classes have both better damage mitigation options AND better dodge options. Your argument is invalid, and poll serves no purpose. Besides the correct answer is "they should balance out".

Better Dodge options? The Wizard is the only class that can dodge 3 times on a single stamina bar. Sprint has no true "Dodge" effect like teleport. And is also a half dodge power as it is greatly needed for GWF to run mobs down as well as escape. the GF Block power which "should" be the best defensive power in the game is currently glitched and from server lag and putting your shield up does not work all the time now. When it does work in epic dungeons you can lose your entire guard meter in under half a second either from multiple attacks or by blocking a single red circle from the boss. Then there are moves that cannot be block and then more moves that you must face a specific direction IE face the center of the red circle to block. If you do not you still get hit by the attack.

So yeah.. I see no logic in your argument. A GWF has about 5% more mitigation than the Cleric, a GF has about 15% more mitigation than the cleric. The Rogue has less mitigation than the cleric
  • andotacoandotaco Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think they need to make the large majority of melee at will power move you towards your target as the animation progresses through its hits in a more noticeable manner... Many of the animations move you a little bit, but ****, someone can just walk away from you and you will miss a huge number of hits... It really turns the game into "spam encounters and dailys".
  • andotacoandotaco Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Because craptic is bad at game design.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Melee units should almost always be the backbone of any game imo. They are the focal point of any good party. More ranged stuff only makes this game even more of a "shoot um up".