test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PWE: Make your economy viable again! <details inside!>

daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Instead of trying to grab the tiger by the tail, confront it head on!!!

What they should be doing:

Change the coding on the currency....

AD/Zen/Gold all have a "programed code value" i.e. 0x023452342356234

Change that code value to something different.

Make us all exchange our currency from old "code value" to the new one.

Set up a vendor that takes the old currency and gives us new "Clean" currency

Set a time frame where both codes work..like a week (or whatever)

MONITOR this exchange for abnormalities and limit/reference/question/flag/research accounts exchanging obscene amounts.

Remove the old code and make all un-exchanged currency WORTHLESS. (handle people that somehow miss this on case by case basis)

This would render the large amount of ill gotten exploit currency (and the accounts it was sitting on) USELESS (BAN) as well as making a large amount of inventory sitting on AD seller accounts useless.

This would be sooo easy to code and would only rely on the player base to make the exchange.

Consider it "Currency Laundering" for good, not evil.

Not to mention, if an exploit is found again, just set rinse and repeat this process. Bring back the currency cleaner vendor and do it again. I would rather have to waste 15m exchanging my currency than 7+ hours rollback.
Post edited by daschernacht on

Comments

• Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with your intentions, and this would be one way of trying to sort out the economy that the exploits and dungeon bugs created. But I have zero confidence in anything further being done after the insufficient rollback action that was carried out.

Unfortunately, the situation is what it is now. The exploiters have won. Even the banning of accounts will have had little effect on players who created many mule accounts to store away AD and gear.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the AD to Zen ratio is under 350 right now, less than before the exploit... please stop whining and try to enjoy the game...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lyaise wrote: »
    I agree with your intentions, and this would be one way of trying to sort out the economy that the exploits and dungeon bugs created. But I have zero confidence in anything further being done after the insufficient rollback action that was carried out.

Unfortunately, the situation is what it is now. The exploiters have won. Even the banning of accounts will have little effect on players who created many mule accounts to store away AD and gear.

If the mules don't exchange currency it will become useless. That's what the monitoring of the exchange would bring to the forefront. 50 Mules exchanging Millions and millions of currency from the same IP address = Easy to spot. Without this they are able to stay on the fringe and stay undetected.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    the AD to Zen ratio is under 350 right now, less than before the exploit... please stop whining and try to enjoy the game...

So any thought or suggestion that has the longevity of the game as it's main goal is whining to you? Please spend your exploited Currency fast! lol
  • Options
    petercoppetercop Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This sounds like a great idea!! Now, will they consider implementing it?
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait given that AH prices are down pre rollback and the Zen/AD exchange is now less than pre rollback ... exactly how is the economy broken?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wait given that AH prices are down pre rollback and the Zen/AD exchange is now less than pre rollback ... exactly how is the economy broken?

Until something is effectively done to scrub the economy clean, there will always be the perception that the economy hasn't been fixed. Even so, what harm could scrubbing the currency do? Or is it that you have many mules with much AD hanging out there and you are trying to protect your interests in them???
  • Options
    seefinnseefinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Until something is effectively done to scrub the economy clean, there will always be the perception that the economy hasn't been fixed. Even so, what harm could scrubbing the currency do? Or is it that you have many mules with much AD hanging out there and you are trying to protect your interests in them???

Why is it that anyone that says the economy is fine and nothing extra needs to be done to inconvenience people get automatically labelled as an exploiter? Is there really a need for it, or is this showing how bad the community around this game really is already?
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the mules don't exchange currency it will become useless. That's what the monitoring of the exchange would bring to the forefront. 50 Mules exchanging Millions and millions of currency from the same IP address = Easy to spot. Without this they are able to stay on the fringe and stay undetected.

They'll just use proxies and dynamic IPs. Organized exploiters are smarter than you.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    They'll just use proxies and dynamic IPs. Organized exploiters are smarter than you.

You wouldn't and shouldn't rely on the same IP as the sole criteria....open your mind and use your brain a little. The example was just that, an example. Given the proper authorization, I could stop proxy and Dynamic IP work arounds, so no, Organized exploiters are not smarter than a Senior Security Officer at a MAJOR national retail bank.
  • Options
    solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    frarii wrote: »

Yea and it dropped to less that 200/per right before it exploded and went up to 500 in a matter of hours. He has a decent plan, propose something better; otherwise, stop trolling and try to figure out what to do with all your exploited currency once it becomes "invalid code recognized".
  • Options
    solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OP - You seem to have found a way to draw the exploiters out of the woodwork like cockroaches. You are correct. Short of a total wipe, which can't happen since PW has accpeted so many RMTs, there is no other way to sanitize the currency than to do something like this.

Yea, there were billions and billions of counterfeit currency manufactured and there is 0% chance that PW found and deleted it all so just go about your business until the exploiters decide to dump it all in the economy and screw things up again. The latter doesn't sound like much of a plan to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    seefinn wrote: »
    Why is it that anyone that says the economy is fine and nothing extra needs to be done to inconvenience people get automatically labelled as an exploiter? Is there really a need for it, or is this showing how bad the community around this game really is already?

You would rather have another rollback or maybe a wipe? Yes, you are right, I DO think anyone that says the economy is "fine" and that "nothing needs to be done" are somehow hoping that NOTHING is done to protect what they have gotten through shady measures. Otherwise, what harm is there in implementing something as I describe? No more than 15m of you time to make sure that everyone is playing on an even field? If you are against making sure that no explotative gains remain, then you are most probably trying to protect YOUR exploitative gains!
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You wouldn't and shouldn't rely on the same IP as the sole criteria....open your mind and use your brain a little. The example was just that, an example. Given the proper authorization, I could stop proxy and Dynamic IP work arounds, so no, Organized exploiters are not smarter than a Senior Security Officer at a MAJOR national retail bank.

O really? Because no major bank has ever seen a security breach? Bank of America, 21st century bank, and so on.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bareel wrote: »
    O really? Because no major bank has ever seen a security breach? Bank of America, 21st century bank, and so on.

*snort* Don't bother. Once they start inventing credentials for themselves, the discussion is pretty much over.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bareel wrote: »

Way to compare apples to bicycles there! And no, my bank has never been breached under my teams watch. /knock on wood.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    *snort* Don't bother. Once they start inventing credentials for themselves, the discussion is pretty much over.

Credential issues are a metric cra*ton worse than just hiding where you are calling in from.
  • Options
    seefinnseefinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You would rather have another rollback or maybe a wipe? Yes, you are right, I DO think anyone that says the economy is "fine" and that "nothing needs to be done" are somehow hoping that NOTHING is done to protect what they have gotten through shady measures. Otherwise, what harm is there in implementing something as I describe? No more than 15m of you time to make sure that everyone is playing on an even field? If you are against making sure that no explotative gains remain, then you are most probably trying to protect YOUR exploitative gains!

I don't personally care if this has to happen to shut people up or "clean the economy". I'd rather not see another rollback or a wipe. However, I do have a problem with the possibility of this not being correctly told to those that don't frequent the forums, at which point it causes just as many issues as it solves. The only way this could really work is with proper communication, and we all know that those that don't frequent the forums/facebook/twitter aren't normally in the loop about what's going on.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    seefinn wrote: »
    I don't personally care if this has to happen to shut people up or "clean the economy". I'd rather not see another rollback or a wipe. However, I do have a problem with the possibility of this not being correctly told to those that don't frequent the forums, at which point it causes just as many issues as it solves. The only way this could really work is with proper communication, and we all know that those that don't frequent the forums/facebook/twitter aren't normally in the loop about what's going on.

Do yourself a favor....don't worry about the logistics of how this would be communicated. This would not be something to put information somewhere other than in-game for sure. Simple enough to communicate the effort:

Make a quest to visit the "Money Cleaner Vender Person." Kinda hard to miss those quests when they pop up.

BTW, I'm all for NOT rolling back and NOT wiping, this seems to be a simple, quite reasonable way to "fix" the perception that the next economic issue will be caused by the reintroduction of mass amounts of exploited currency. (or a HUGE reduction of the amounts based on the scrub/bans and expiring "old" currency that would most certainly take place.)

Simple, effective, promising......make it happen PWE!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Any word on the chance of this happening? The OP seems to have a good idea and yet no admin reply or anything!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Admins??? Any word on this being a viable answer???
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    don`t think it would work, because 1 ip can have more then 1 player ;p
    ahhww those poor people playing with 2 on 1 computer.
    they can`t do it, they can`t check all cases where the ad comes from also.
    sounds nice and all, but i just think it`s not going to happen, it`s too cryptic for cryptic and pwe :D
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know, as a long time gamer, I have to admit the cash in game is pretty stingy. I have been able to buy maybe 10 potions a night, a +1 Great sword sells for less than a single gold in game but costs over 1,000. Is this the result of the flooded market I keep reading about. or has equipment always been this expensive and resale so craptastic?
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.