test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reviewing quests with romance options in them!

Comments

• mirimeromirimero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I think marriage might be a good option for certain stories (though not all of them, as runis12 pointed out), I'm not sure how it would work out in the long term. If the PC marries an NPC in the campaign, what about the rest of the PC's game-life? The only way they could ever meet again would be through that single campaign. The rest of the time, it's as if the spouse didn't exist... :( And that would make me sad thinking about these electronic illusions of people whose promise of love forever exists only in between one spark and the next. And my goodness, this is depressing me now.

What I mean is that for me, marriage is a huge commitment that implies continuity, and I'm not sure if it's possible to achieve that in an MMO. I mean, in a single player game, at least, the game ends and the characters could theoretically live happily ever together behind the scenes.
  • owlhatowlhat Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    That is quite true, which is why if I where to impliment marriage I think I would do it so that you can play though one or two quests with them still. Even if you don't go down the marriage route however, you've got to take into acount that the only way you would again be able to see the NPC you professed your love to would be through the campaign again... Would marriage really make this any worse than it already is?
    The only true solution I can see to this, rather than purpetuly adding new content for them to run, is by encourging the RP in the wider world of Neverwinter, by having somone play the role of the NPC, which could be quite fun. However, I think I am getting ahead of myself, and one must remember that eveything ends eventually.
    edited May 2013
    Would marriage really make this any worse than it already is?

It's the idea of a personal contract that just gets me. See, I like to pretend I'm chaotic neutral, but I actually have a lot of annoying lawful good notions still ingrained into me. Like I automatically think that if you're married to someone, you become half of a whole. Your identity changes. A romance is all well and good, but marriage makes it official in a metaphysical kind of way. I don't think I can play my character with any conviction if I know that she's supposed to be married to someone but they're not together. I blame it on the way I was raised. :p

An actual dedicated quest involving the PC and his/her spouse would be cool, though. I can almost imagine the heartwarming scenes: teaching the kids how to CC mobs, having their honeymoon in a spider-infested dungeon... Man, I wish someone would do that! Also, your idea of having someone RP the NPC is really intriguing...

And I think we're scaring off all the male players, lol!
  • runis12runis12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mirimero wrote: »

Huh? :) Meh, there are guys and chicks out there who won't admit to thinking about these kind of things/these types of quests, but will play them anyway. The dedicated NPC quest or epilogue sounds cool to me actually, whether they're married or not. :)
    edited May 2013
    I must admit the moment I thought of the idea of having quests after marriage I imeadietly wanted to do something like that, but didn't know if that would scare people off, it looks like there might be an audience after all! :) Will defiently factor this thought in for later quests.

Mirimero I can see where you are coming from with that idea of marriage. I must adimt to thinking that for the most part, but rather what I meant by whether or not marriage matters was more that if you have given your love to someone completly seperation hurts wether you are married or not. (Great now I sound like cheesy romance chick! XD )
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    these electronic illusions of people whose promise of love forever exists only in between one spark and the next. And my goodness, this is depressing me now.

How do you know you're not in an electronic illusion now? What is the universe but the interactions of one spark to the next. Mwhahaha
    edited May 2013
    So I'm implementing some secret items that are scattered throughout the environments in my first quest. Each item would correspond to an NPC. Finding them and having them in your inventory would open up some dialogue/lore about the NPC, trigger any side NPC conversation or events (pages of their journal or diary will only appear if you have this item, etc.), open up the option of the NPC doing something fantastic to help you during a "boss" fight...

These items, as they stand now, do not affect any romantic relationship. They do not advance it or halt it or anything. They are fun items that I added in because people like secrets in games(including myself). I wanted to encourage exploration in the environments I worked so hard on too.

I'm considering linking some romantic incentive to getting these items. I hate the idea of having an item in your inventory just to HUG someone though. I want something to happen that would NOT advance the relationship, but still satisfy the romantic sweet tooth. Would merely getting an intimate piece of information about the NPC be enough? (Examples:

1. Getting the item would trigger the NPC to appear somewhere where he/she is feeding some cats (or something lol), unleashing their deepest desires and secrets in a convenient monologue through bubble-chat. They'd be non-interactable, to give the illusion/effect that they don't see you watching them.

2. Getting the item would trigger the appearance of the NPC's ultimate journal/diary page of juicy-ness.)

Silly and pretty simple examples, I know. Again, I don't want to advance the relationship with these items. Right now, I'm convincing myself that if a player really cares about pursuing an NPC, they'd do everything to know more about the NPC. What do you think? Would finding that "juicy journal page" be reward enough for finding a secret item? XD
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like a really good idea, I always love to learn a lot about characters, and it really helps you form an atachment to the characters. For me personaly it would definetly be a big incentive to look around, and if you are aiming at an audience who love story and roleplay it hopefuly will be for them too. And if any people play who are less fussed, they are not forced to find the hidden items or read the information given within, and they can get on with the parts of the quest they do enjoy, so it's a win-win situation. I had already planned on having many lore objects around my quest, and I think this would be somthing I might consider, although without the absolute hidden nature as you are hinting at, my strength in creating Foundry quests lies defiently with story and dialogue, and not with maps (as the limited amount of time I have playing around with making maps shows that I neither have tha patience nor the interest to make very good maps, I shall just have to hope the people who play my quest can look over this fact...) Mine will be a bit more like what you can find in the main quest line of the game. However, you idea sounds more fun and creative, I'm looking forward to your quest even more know! :)
    edited June 2013
    Ha, I feel like I'm only good at environments and "decorating." :) Thanks owlhat. I hope we can all pump out our quests soon. It makes me a little light-headed thinking of all the time I spend on dialogue trees, and that someone can go through them in less than 30 seconds. :p Ughhhhh, I hope this will all be worth it.
  • novalicenovalice Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To address the side note in the OP: Try using dis-gendered phrasing, instead of young sir, or lady. Use things more like, 'Hey you!' or 'Is that one the hero who saved the Chiefs daughter?'. English was never my strongest subject so I can't be more precise in examples, however I do believe quite a few exist that could meet most your needs.
    edited June 2013
    Urgh, I know how you feel, I'll probably spend days on my dialogue, and I'll be lucky if people even read it... But even if a handful do, and enjoy it because of that, I think I'll be happy enough :) I went into this fully aware that I was appealing to only a very small audience.

Maybe one day, if it is ever possiable to share doing quests with other people, we can combine your amazing map skills, and my fairly good dialogue, to make the most awsomist quest to be made in Foundry! :D
  • drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Nonsense. Still hoping to see Family Simulator RPG, an imaginary 60 hour story-driven multiple choice campaign where you raise a family, deal with the day to day issues we all face, and nothing violent ever happens. Ever.

I'd drop my quest but it's only part 1 and the romance bit isn't even remotely developed yet. Plus it's firmly from the perspective of a Rincewind/Roger Wilco style male. I tried to make the gender vague at first but gave up. Would like to think if I did write a female perspective, it would still be better than George R. R. Martin. :p
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
    edited June 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    How do you know you're not in an electronic illusion now? What is the universe but the interactions of one spark to the next. Mwhahaha

You're actually right. We're all just bits of nothing arranged just so (yay subatomic particles)! But I sometimes like to think our existence is more meaningful than that of our MMO avatars. An attitude which smacks of hubris, come to think of it.
    edited June 2013
    owlhat wrote: »
    Urgh, I know how you feel, I'll probably spend days on my dialogue, and I'll be lucky if people even read it... But even if a handful do, and enjoy it because of that, I think I'll be happy enough :) I went into this fully aware that I was appealing to only a very small audience.

This sums up exactly how I feel. It's all worth it if you could find a handful of like-minded people.

Yay cheesy romance chicks! :cool:
    edited June 2013
    runis12 wrote: »
    Would finding that "juicy journal page" be reward enough for finding a secret item? XD

Absolutely! I love secret items and I love unearthing every single possible thing about NPCs. Trust me, if you link these to a romantic incentive, I'd be after it like a donkey after a carrot. This is a fantastic idea (which I shall shamelessly steal one day)! :D

Also, I just checked out your Foundry quest in twitch, and good golliwogs, that's a massive map! You hand-placed all those details? Wow. Just... wow. Really looking forward to when this thing goes live. Only, I have a feeling I'm going to die a million times when I get to that finale encounter with the winged lady.
    edited June 2013
    novalice wrote: »
    To address the side note in the OP: Try using dis-gendered phrasing, instead of young sir, or lady. Use things more like, 'Hey you!' or 'Is that one the hero who saved the Chiefs daughter?'. English was never my strongest subject so I can't be more precise in examples, however I do believe quite a few exist that could meet most your needs.

You're right, that would definitely work in most cases. :) I've seen it put to great effect in the quest text for the main game.

But I'm actually going for a more personal and involved kind of dialogue. I'm also planning for NPCs attitudes to be influenced by the player's gender as well, so a trigger or check is absolutely essential.

Thanks for the feedback, though!
    edited June 2013
    drakesigar wrote: »
    Nonsense. Still hoping to see Family Simulator RPG, an imaginary 60 hour story-driven multiple choice campaign where you raise a family, deal with the day to day issues we all face, and nothing violent ever happens. Ever.

I'd like to see that game come out too. If nothing else, the reviews for it would be hilarious!
    I'd drop my quest but it's only part 1 and the romance bit isn't even remotely developed yet. Plus it's firmly from the perspective of a Rincewind/Roger Wilco style male. I tried to make the gender vague at first but gave up. Would like to think if I did write a female perspective, it would still be better than George R. R. Martin. :p

Are we talking about everybody's favorite wizzard? Hey, I'm in! Also, I like how honest you are (in your sig) about your quest being male-centric. Points for that. ;) And I've just looked at your screenshot with the mystical orbs that-must-not-be-licked, and I definitely, definitely want to play this now, romance or no!
  • revelationmdrevelationmd Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lol, I doubt Mills and Boon ever came out with a storyline involving orcs and drow! (Though it would be great if they did. I could see it now: "Oh darling, I know we had a silly misunderstanding over that homewrecking drow priestess who tried to turn you into her mindless mancandy, but I'm over it now. Embrace me and tear my bodice to shreds!" "Yes, my little lovemunchkin, but first we have to slay this stacked horde of random abolethic monsters!") :p

I hope you had a good time picking brains here. Lots of luck with your quest, and please PM me (if possible) once it comes out!

Well, it got finished and is just out of 'requiring review' - but to be fair I should warn you, it turned out with less romance that I originally intended. There is literally just a hint of 'lost love' which doesn't even involve the PCs.

Anyway if you fancy giving it a review it can be found here: Quest Name: In search of Innocence. Foundry code: NW-DL8DTYYPS.

It's about 45 mins long and is quite heavy on dialogue / story. Would best suit a 2 player team (can be quite tough in places for solo) and will appeal to players that enjoy roleplaying. If it doesn't appeal, I totally understand and as I say, it doesn't have nearly enough romance to even remotely describe it as a 'love story'!

Hope you had luck finding your romance driven quests!
    Quest Name: In search of Innocence | Foundry code: NW-DL8DTYYPS.

Heavy on story/plot. Expect to read (and think) a lot to get the most out of the quest. Will probably appeal to roleplayers though that is not to say that there are no tough fights - could be challenging for solo play.
    Average play time: 45 mins
    edited June 2013
    Absolutely! I love secret items and I love unearthing every single possible thing about NPCs. Trust me, if you link these to a romantic incentive, I'd be after it like a donkey after a carrot. This is a fantastic idea (which I shall shamelessly steal one day)! :D

Also, I just checked out your Foundry quest in twitch, and good golliwogs, that's a massive map! You hand-placed all those details? Wow. Just... wow. Really looking forward to when this thing goes live. Only, I have a feeling I'm going to die a million times when I get to that finale encounter with the winged lady.

Oh my goodness, I forgot I left that up on my Twitch account!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should to take it down!!!! Very spoilery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) And contains some content I took out/fixed. That particular encounter is less crazy now. Hahaha!!! Ah, yes, all hand placed. :) I'm done working on my "carrots" now!

Edit: It's deleted!! NYAAAA~!!!!!
    edited June 2013
    Are we talking about everybody's favorite wizzard? Hey, I'm in! Also, I like how honest you are (in your sig) about your quest being male-centric. Points for that. ;) And I've just looked at your screenshot with the mystical orbs that-must-not-be-licked, and I definitely, definitely want to play this now, romance or no!

If there was one picture that summed up the tone, that was it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
  • oortexploreroortexplorer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    My first quest is a lighthearted dialogue-driven comic adventure, but it is all about romance so it fits right into the theme of this thread. Hopefully you will check it out and let me know what you think!

Title: All's Fair in Love and War
    Code: NW-DJ5BFT52F
    Author: @oortexplorer

Explore the lighter side of Neverwinter! Your choices determine the outcome.

"You've just received a letter from Megan, an old friend you haven't seen in years. Her letter states that an elf and a dwarf, who hate each other, have each asked her to marry them. She is confused, and would like your advice."

- 20 Minutes
    - Solo

#story #humor

Thread Link: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?319352-All-s-Fair-in-Love-and-War-NW-DJ5BFT52F
    All's Fair in Love and War - Explore the lighter side of Neverwinter!
    Now eligible for Daily Foundry!
    edited June 2013
    Short and sweet, but I'm confused about the tigers and random animals. lol!
  • oortexploreroortexplorer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Ha ha, I guess I was feeling a little silly when adding some extra details. A couple of encounter characters were fighting the tigers which I thought was hilarious, until you pointed out that you could run right past them, lol!
    All's Fair in Love and War - Explore the lighter side of Neverwinter!
    Now eligible for Daily Foundry!
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I added romance options to Feast of the Moon.

Try it out! ^^
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You guys are turning this into a Bioware game!
    I'll definitely have to try some of these! :P
    Artificer.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Squeeee, my first review! I was mildly concerned after someone else did a failed playthrough and got lost. Thanks again. ;)
    edited June 2013
    @oortexplorer I will check that out at the next opotunity :)

@xhirt The same for you aswell, it looks good :)

@drakesinger Your quest has been one I've been meaning to play for a a few days now, and is the next one on my list :)
  • lordxoruslordxorus Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    You'll 'Love' my char, does that count? lol ;)
    Wanted: Hero *Lil Chubs*

Foundry Search: Wanted: Hero Lil Chubs
    edited June 2013
    :p:o Hey guys, finished my Foundry quest (with introduction to romance-able characters)! Hah! :o I'm planning on expanding the cast of romance-able characters in Episode 2. :) So don't worry if you don't find your soulmate. lol!

Link: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?322221-My-First-Foundry-Quest-Echoes-of-the-Crown-Wars
    edited June 2013
    I'll check this out as soon as I can runis12 :) Looks amazing, if my quest looks half as good I'll be happy :D