test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Oh Nooo! Dps class is topping the DPS chart" Lolz, let me explain.

berbesberbes Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
In most, if not all, games there are different classes and what they specialize at. The popular classes and their rolls are:
Tank, defender: Guess what? they can take damage, or withstand damage. Think of them as a punching bags with intelligence.

Healers,clerics, etc: Wow, healers heal? Yes, yes they heal; that is they are the nurses and doctors in the game. If you get hurt, you got to a medical practitioner of some sort to heal your wound.

Strikers,Damage Dealers, etc: Yep, they will twice kill your dead body which they killed a second ago. Marines, Seals, Commandos, Assassins, Ninjas, just to name a few.

Other Derived classes combine these role to achieve their goals. Example, the paladin combines tanking and some healing, etc.

Terms, Jargon, Acronyms, etc.
Based on what each class does, the gaming community came up with "words" to easily describe a class. but the younger generation of gamers seem to have missed that class therefore they misuse these great words in the gaming world. The effects? Strikers are killing me, they are OP nerf them. Tanks are withstanding my damage, they are OP nerf them, you get the drift.

I will do my best to explain some of the most common terms related to this game and its classes:

1. DPS: This is the most misunderstood and misused word on this forum, in my opinion.
DPS= Damage Per Second. Meaning if you get 10000 damage in 10 sec, then your DPS is 1000. That is, you deal 1000 damage every second to that particular target. This scenario assumes the target is naked; no resistance, defense, etc. If all those are factored in, then DPS starts to vary depending on the opponent.

2. DPH: Now, i see this phrase less and less on gaming forums. What DPH means is "Damage Per Hit". This is independent of time. If each of your strikes does 10k damage to a target, it doesn't matter how long you hit, your DPH will be 10k.

3. APS: "Attacks Per Second" is the number of hits you can give in a second, and it's independent of damage although it is closely tied to DPS. In a scenario of 2 classes A and B. Class A has APS of 10 and Class B has APS of 5. the table below emulates the possible results each class can get, assuming all necessary conditions are the same.

Class A
Class B
Class A
Class B

Damage Per Hit/Attack

Attacks Per Second

Damage Per Second

Total Damage Output After 2sec

In classic RPGs, those with the big bad-*** weapon has a ton of DPH but are slower than molasses, where as the classes with lighter weapons with low DPH, are faster than light.

thus the conclusion for this class; before you call for a nerf because an AOE class has more mob kills than a Single-target class who tops the DPS chart, think about their roles and their specialty.

In-game, i play a control wizard and in dungeons i mostly rank 2nd or 3rd on damage chart depending on the number of TRs in party. On the mob kill counts, the only times i drop from 1st rank is when im looting chests and other stuff.

PS: LEARN TO PLAY YOUR CLASS
Post edited by berbes on

Comments

• ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    DPH should be the stat used most often in for Neverwinter. It is a much more meaningful stat considering how often the variables change during a fight. Good post despite the slightly condescending tone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Explain this:
    How SINGLE TARGET class outdamages ALWAYS AoE classes in game where every trash pull is about AoE and don't get me started on bosses.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Captain Obvious just made a thread.

who cares?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the problem is that up to the last boss, dungeons arent about damage but about control...while the last boss is about control and single target damage...
  • berbesberbes Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Explain this:
    How SINGLE TARGET class outdamages ALWAYS AoE classes in game where every trash pull is about AoE and don't get me started on bosses.

First off, CWs are not AoE focused. Most of our encounters are single target unless Spell-mastered. even then, the burst and cd are not favorable for AoE style of play.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    berbes wrote: »
    CWs . ... not favorable for AoE style of play.

LOLZ.

Actually before you wrote this I thought your first post was misguided but serious. Now I realise it was actually a parody........
  • ioannides5ioannides5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    berbes all you did was explain why rogues are ****ing OP in this game. Not only do they have the highest APS out of any class, they also have the highest DPH out of any class. Kind of broken if you ask me. GWFs, using those giant 2h-weapons SHOULD ideally have the highest DPH... but i guess the developers of this game have no common sense.
  • distastedistaste Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In most, if not all, games there are different classes and what they specialize at. The popular classes and their rolls are:
    Tank, defender: Guess what? they can take damage, or withstand damage. Think of them as a punching bags with intelligence.

Healers,clerics, etc: Wow, healers heal? Yes, yes they heal; that is they are the nurses and doctors in the game. If you get hurt, you got to a medical practitioner of some sort to heal your wound.

Strikers,Damage Dealers, etc: Yep, they will twice kill your dead body which they killed a second ago. Marines, Seals, Commandos, Assassins, Ninjas, just to name a few.

Other Derived classes combine these role to achieve their goals. Example, the paladin combines tanking and some healing, etc.

Terms, Jargon, Acronyms, etc.
    Based on what each class does, the gaming community came up with "words" to easily describe a class. but the younger generation of gamers seem to have missed that class therefore they misuse these great words in the gaming world. The effects? Strikers are killing me, they are OP nerf them. Tanks are withstanding my damage, they are OP nerf them, you get the drift.

I will do my best to explain some of the most common terms related to this game and its classes:

1. DPS: This is the most misunderstood and misused word on this forum, in my opinion.
    DPS= Damage Per Second. Meaning if you get 10000 damage in 10 sec, then your DPS is 1000. That is, you deal 1000 damage every second to that particular target. This scenario assumes the target is naked; no resistance, defense, etc. If all those are factored in, then DPS starts to vary depending on the opponent.

2. DPH: Now, i see this phrase less and less on gaming forums. What DPH means is "Damage Per Hit". This is independent of time. If each of your strikes does 10k damage to a target, it doesn't matter how long you hit, your DPH will be 10k.

3. APS: "Attacks Per Second" is the number of hits you can give in a second, and it's independent of damage although it is closely tied to DPS. In a scenario of 2 classes A and B. Class A has APS of 10 and Class B has APS of 5. the table below emulates the possible results each class can get, assuming all necessary conditions are the same.

Class A
    Class B
    Class A
    Class B

Damage Per Hit/Attack

Attacks Per Second

Damage Per Second

Total Damage Output After 2sec

In classic RPGs, those with the big bad-*** weapon has a ton of DPH but are slower than molasses, where as the classes with lighter weapons with low DPH, are faster than light.

thus the conclusion for this class; before you call for a nerf because an AOE class has more mob kills than a Single-target class who tops the DPS chart, think about their roles and their specialty.

In-game, i play a control wizard and in dungeons i mostly rank 2nd or 3rd on damage chart depending on the number of TRs in party. On the mob kill counts, the only times i drop from 1st rank is when im looting chests and other stuff.

PS: LEARN TO PLAY YOUR CLASS

What is your post even about? At no point do you make a coherent explanation that ties your post together. You're going off on tangents trying to explain class types, damage types, etc but then make a conclusion that's out of left field. CW/TR probably do need a nerf in PvE as well as PvP(desperately). When the best setup for the endgame raids is 1-2 TR, 2 CW, 1-2 DC there is an issue. Damage classes should get absolutely annihilated the second they gain aggro, if their damage isn't reduced than their survivability needs substantially decreased.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I laughed because he thinks CW has long cooldowns.
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off, CWs are not AoE focused. Most of our encounters are single target unless Spell-mastered. even then, the burst and cd are not favorable for AoE style of play.

he was referruing to Great Weapon fighter, dumbass.
  • omfgvexeromfgvexer Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP you sound like an idiot...rogues are OP stop trying to sugar coat it cause you dont want to get nerfed and enjoy playing a ridiculously easy and powerful class cause you have no skill....any class that can hit a full blown 9k GS tank with 36k HP and 2 shot him needs to be nerfed. Random Rogue crits for 50k in pvp omg lol thats because we have g00d single target DPS haha we so good we no need nerfy that is roleplay of our stylez.....please
  • khazaadkhazaad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    tl;dr please *yawn stretch*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]