test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guardian Threat

divolas05divolas05 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hullo! I just started playing Guardian, and I'm only level 17 and done a couple dungeons so far....and I seem to have a lot of problems holding threat. The mark seems to fall off rather quickly, and I know that's a must for threat but...does it get better as we level up? Kinda feel like I'm a third wheel. :/
Post edited by divolas05 on

Comments

• perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GFs aren't aggro magnets like in other MMOs. There's nothing you can do to get all the mobs to focus you so that you can position them. It's not that kind of game, and threat is kind of broken anyway.

However, GFs can still be effective. Check out the Master List of Class Builds sticky thread to save yourself some frustration and find out what works.
  • clevizzyclevizzy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If GFs are not aggro magnets then what is the point for rolling the character?

I have a Dwarf GF right now in 3/4 Stalwart armor, EPIC helm/sword/shield and vendor EPIC jewelry. Towards the higher end of the gameplay, the face-tanking seems to be the only working strategy. Most encounters destroy the shield guard in 1-2 hits. The encounter abilities don't generate enough threat to keep the encounter (mobs) off the cleric. The cleric can't stop healing because the incoming damage on the tank is too great, its not winnable.

You'd think the Dwarf race would get a nice bonus to make it the premier race for the GF class but that seems to be the HUMAN ... WTF. The Dwarf race is hearty and built for the abuse of mob control. What is Neverwinter thinking here? Humans got the 3 extra heroic points and it does actually make difference I don't really care what anyone says.

In my opinion, the threat Mark "X"s duration is too short and doesn't generate enough threat. Even with enchanced Mark, threat is shakey. I find myself throwing single target threat Mark "X"s on a handful of mobs only for the first X to disappear before I can hit the mob with "Tide of Iron" or any other encounter ability. There are so many mobs in the encounters at the T1-T2 level that targeting the mob with the Mark a painful exercise. the encounter threat ability would be nicer if it generated more threat. It barely works to gain the focus of mobs during an encounter and that's with an 11 second reuse.

The pain/annoyance in Dungeon running is slightly mitigated as the GF gains EPIC armor (T1) because the reuse timers are less annoying with 700-ish recovery. The reuse of abilities goes from 20+ seconds to 6-12 depending on the ability. At least the GF is doing something rather than sitting there watching a mob beat the group's cleric to death. Yay the GF gets to cleave the mob from behind as the Cleric tanks the mob ... /sigh

There's ZERO standing in one place at the end-game content. The entire group is constantly moving during boss encounters. The abilities of the Boss encounters have an insane damage potential that no character can be caught in a red shaded area or risk serious health reduction even death. The constant movement means any attempt to encounter threat the majority of the mobs is foolish.

Lets talk about solo-ing, without a player cleric I LOATHE to venture out on my own because the GF has zero survivability when it comes to killing a mob before the mob kills the GF. Questing to level 60 was a horrendous, time-consuming experience that if you're not already level 60, re-roll to a Great Weapon Fighter. Having a merc Cleric is ZERO help as the merc heals are worthless at the level 60 content and that the mobs instantly go over to the cleric and destroy it while the GF foolishly attempts to generate threat and keep the merc alive.

Honestly, I'm super disappointed with this class. If the strategy is to face-tank and DPS then be a GWF instead. The frustrations while playing this class is not worth it. I don't view the play experience getting any better for the GF with T2 gear upgrades because the content to obtain the T2 upgrades is extremely difficult.
  • hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    clevizzy wrote: »

I have a Dwarf GF right now in 3/4 Stalwart armor, EPIC helm/sword/shield and vendor EPIC jewelry. Towards the higher end of the gameplay, the face-tanking seems to be the only working strategy. Most encounters destroy the shield guard in 1-2 hits. The encounter abilities don't generate enough threat to keep the encounter (mobs) off the cleric. The cleric can't stop healing because the incoming damage on the tank is too great, its not winnable.

It's a terrible truth. Guard go down immediately in pvp and pve. The encounter abilites are really weak and slow. I'm thinking about enforced threat. I see mobs coming toward us, click E button and see my toon moving his slow leg to stomp on the floor, but mobs jumps on the cleric when gf is still animating. Second: all the bosses in this game are designed in the same way. They spawn billions of adds and i have always my threat skill in cd and cannot generate threat. It was supposed a gf should tank the boss, but no, it is the rogue that thank boss (gf deal too low damage) and we are forced to "defend" healer for "group strategy" but impossible because of millions of adds that spawn when skills are in CD.
    Also I hate the fact that the most important/powerful skill of gf have very low animation that make them uselss in pvp and against boss fight.
    You'd think the Dwarf race would get a nice bonus to make it the premier race for the GF class but that seems to be the HUMAN ... WTF. The Dwarf race is hearty and built for the abuse of mob control. What is Neverwinter thinking here? Humans got the 3 extra heroic points and it does actually make difference I don't really care what anyone says.
    I don't agree with you. I see a lot of gf dwarf really good.
    In my opinion, the threat Mark "X"s duration is too short and doesn't generate enough threat. Even with enchanced Mark, threat is shakey. I find myself throwing single target threat Mark "X"s on a handful of mobs only for the first X to disappear before I can hit the mob with "Tide of Iron" or any other encounter ability. There are so many mobs in the encounters at the T1-T2 level that targeting the mob with the Mark a painful exercise. the encounter threat ability would be nicer if it generated more threat. It barely works to gain the focus of mobs during an encounter and that's with an 11 second reuse.
    agree... see above about enforced threat's problems, imho.
    The pain/annoyance in Dungeon running is slightly mitigated as the GF gains EPIC armor (T1) because the reuse timers are less annoying with 700-ish recovery. The reuse of abilities goes from 20+ seconds to 6-12 depending on the ability. At least the GF is doing something rather than sitting there watching a mob beat the group's cleric to death. Yay the GF gets to cleave the mob from behind as the Cleric tanks the mob ... /sigh
    why did i choose gf? It's a very broken class. Useless, bugged and... not tank!!
    The entire group is constantly moving during boss encounters. The abilities of the Boss encounters have an insane damage potential that no character can be caught in a red shaded area or risk serious health reduction even death. The constant movement means any attempt to encounter threat the majority of the mobs is foolish.
    Right.
    Lets talk about solo-ing, without a player cleric I LOATHE to venture out on my own because the GF has zero survivability when it comes to killing a mob before the mob kills the GF. Questing to level 60 was a horrendous, time-consuming experience that if you're not already level 60, re-roll to a Great Weapon Fighter. Having a merc Cleric is ZERO help as the merc heals are worthless at the level 60 content and that the mobs instantly go over to the cleric and destroy it while the GF foolishly attempts to generate threat and keep the merc alive.
    Same experience. The level 58-60 was terrible for me. Cleric companion is worthless and I was constantly killed by mobs when more than 1vs1, just 2vs1 was sure death.
    Honestly, I'm super disappointed with this class. If the strategy is to face-tank and DPS then be a GWF instead. The frustrations while playing this class is not worth it. I don't view the play experience getting any better for the GF with T2 gear upgrades because the content to obtain the T2 upgrades is extremely difficult.
    [/QUOTE]
    Same.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

There's ZERO standing in one place at the end-game content. The entire group is constantly moving during boss encounters. The abilities of the Boss encounters have an insane damage potential that no character can be caught in a red shaded area or risk serious health reduction even death. The constant movement means any attempt to encounter threat the majority of the mobs is foolish.

^ This, some of it is silly, like the assumption that dwarves should be amazing tanks lol, but in general all those issues are real enough and make the class the least sought after third wheel piece of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ever.
  • demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hello, please read the other 999 thread's about this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • arkitan2arkitan2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello, please read the other 999 thread's about this.
    would be nice if PWE did.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    arkitan2 wrote: »
    would be nice if PWE did.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQX9-5s22zXe4vV84v_B3KLZd12-NsPItUnVBLltStbO77w2l6R
  • blackhawke90blackhawke90 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you're standing in one spot and holding your shield up expecting to actually tank, this is not the class for you. It works at low levels, but in the endgame mobs will shred through you so fast you'll think you were made of paper. Instead, Guardian Fighter is meant to be extremely mobile, now more than ever now that responsive blocking is out of the picture. Into the Fray is our number one most important ability in PvE right now. Blocking should be used sparingly, your main role is to get Daunting Challenge (10% Less damage from marked targets for your party members) in addition to whatever tree you decided to roll with and lay down marks on everything with Threatening Rush/ Enforced threat. When your marks expire, just lay down more of them. You could also roll with Knight's Valor for a 50% Damage reduction for all your party members. It's still very much a tank class, but standing still isn't gonna get you anywhere except killed. There are a lot of things that need to be fixed, but until they are, this is the most viable solution I can think of.
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For solo I actually had the opposite experience with GF. I loved it the shield works great, the powers have great CC and Area. THe single target moves do respectable damage and cleave is a very good damage for aoe and single target. Everything the GF has is better than the GWF. the GWF being the first class I played and I toughed it out.

Now the third class I play is Cleric and clerics are even goonier than the GF. There damage is off the scale compared to GF's plus they can heal while still doing there full DPS build. The get free heal over times just by criting a mob with any attack.

I'm no tsurrised Clerics draw all the aggro with how powerful they are. But I would not call for a huge nerf to clerics. I have seen them in end game dungeons and they need everything they get. GF Needs a huge buff to his guard meter threat and over all damage resistance. maybe making defense better as a stat in general. GWF Need all that plus there base moves damage on there 900 dmg greatswords NEED to be higher than the GFs base move damage with a 600 damage longsword. It is not, not by a long shot.