test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NW seems to have deleted itself...

brachra200brachra200 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I launched NW, i got a quick error that closed itself almost immediately, then I went to check my game folder to launch the game that way,

Now my entire game folder seems to be gone.

i cant find it anywhere, it seems the game has uninstalled itself.

Any ideas on this one guys?

NO ANTIVIRUS WAS RUNNING (none are even installed)
Mumble was running
Steam was running

thats all.
Post edited by brachra200 on

Comments

• Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why are you even running without some kind of antivirus?
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »

Someones like Avast mess with your games.
  • Options
    kulottikulotti Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Dunno why someone wouldn't have one installed at all, but my antivirus just claimed this game to be a virus and my desktop shortcut for the game dissappeared. Can't login to the servers now neither. Guess I know a reason for not running one atleast.
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right, there's another thread here about 'Avast' anti virus and a false positive.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    johnstamoslivesjohnstamoslives Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I really hope this is some kind of a troll.

Anti-virus software OFTEN conflicts with software installations. As a result, when giving technical support to someone regarding software, it's requested that they turn off and even uninstall (in cases like McAfee) the anti-virus program.

Don't give technical support or respond to technical supprot-esque questions if you don't even know the most basic of tech. You'll just confuse the situation unnecessarily.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    brachra200 wrote: »
    *snip*

..... it seems the game has uninstalled itself.

*snip*

Hehe I laughed really hard when I read the title! Hmm maybe it's a "sign" ? lolz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Anti-virus software OFTEN conflicts with software installations. As a result, when giving technical support to someone regarding software, it's requested that they turn off and even uninstall (in cases like McAfee) the anti-virus program.

Don't give technical support or respond to technical supprot-esque questions if you don't even know the most basic of tech. You'll just confuse the situation unnecessarily.

So your professional advice is to NOT run a anti-virus on a system?
  • Options
    ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I've had 0 programs conflict with anti-viruses. Usually the false positives (and not always false) show up with inferior software, and sometimes software tries to install some things people flag as no-no's. (ie punkbuster, rootkits (drm natured), prism, etc) Network rules (I don't allow anything to "call home" without asking me) and enforce ownership once Ive added serial keys/registration info. If I wanted them to see if I had a legal copy, they can call me. Memory is even a no no unless I say so.

AV publishers do often work with developers to minimize the conflicts, but more often than not its a simple whitelisting, which can be revoked (if your software is good enough). These partnerships often cost the developers a little cash, which I'd venture to guess some companies dont, or wont pay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • Options
    llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    So your professional advice is to NOT run a anti-virus on a system?

antivirus is like a placebo. it makes you feel good because you think its doing something, but its really not.

there are some options on the software that are useful for people who are not very educated about computers, like scanning for malware and keyloggers and things of that nature, but as far as protecting you from an actual virus most will fail.

its simply because if someone comes out with a new virus, it is new, which means it is not in their database so it gets ignored.

the best antivirus in the world is simply educating yourself on what types of websites and downloads to ignore. the most common infestation comes from the 'adult' sites which people seem to love. i know when friends of mine get a problem and ask me to fix it 99% of the time it came from an adult site.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    llfritzll wrote: »
    antivirus is like a placebo. it makes you feel good because you think its doing something, but its really not.

there are some options on the software that are useful for people who are not very educated about computers, like scanning for malware and keyloggers and things of that nature, but as far as protecting you from an actual virus most will fail.

its simply because if someone comes out with a new virus, it is new, which means it is not in their database so it gets ignored.

the best antivirus in the world is simply educating yourself on what types of websites and downloads to ignore. the most common infestation comes from the 'adult' sites which people seem to love. i know when friends of mine get a problem and ask me to fix it 99% of the time it came from an adult site.

Stop using crappy anti-virus and pay for something decent like NOD32
  • Options
    vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have bitdefender total security 2010, and I've never had a problem with any game; the false positives occur when I dl some stuff that really does have dirty coding in it. So, get a good AV, delete the viruses and then re-install.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Grant it being educated is the best defense, but only really crappy av's are placebo's...and that's because they don't work. And people for the most part don't want to be educated. I ask anyone who's been a tech for a while...how many times have you seen the same person, with the same problem, no matter what you've told them? I know I've had many of these people, and I think most techs have, too.

The myth that most websites that get infected are adult sites is just that now-a-days, a myth. Fact of the matter is sites like CNN, Adobe, FOX, ESPN, ect, all get hit with infections too on a regular basis. It just a question of timing...the sites themselves finding the infections before the customer actually clicks (or in some cases, just drags their cursor across an infected ad) on them. But that also has alot to do with your client base.......many of the infections I see come from those cheesy coupon and car parts sites....but most of my clients are either soccer moms or the elderly.

IMHO, the only tech who would recommend not using an av is just trying to get repeat business. Any good tech will at least try and have their clients protected with at the very least a free AV & a helper (Malwarebyte's lifetime subscription, $20. Easy to set up so the customer never has to think about it.)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    I have bitdefender total security 2010, and I've never had a problem with any game; the false positives occur when I dl some stuff that really does have dirty coding in it. So, get a good AV, delete the viruses and then re-install.

That's because since 2010, Bit Defender has be one of the best av's available. I also use it, no problems what-so-ever....except it frequently wants a reboot after an update.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Someones like Avast mess with your games.

Who is this Avast and why is he/she messing with our games?
    D:<
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    reeferdtrinireeferdtrini Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hmmm i just encountered this problem after playing for weeks with avast installed. the game disconnected me and when i tried to relog it began to reinstall the game, never loled so hard...anyway i guess avast was the casue so will delete it now..
  • Options
    onikum0onikum0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013

BUT! You can disable anti-virus for a certain program, i believe the correct question is (Why Don't you have a anti-virus at all?)