test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I have a few questions to ask.

baemothbaemoth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Alright, my first module is live and I've been asking guildies to play it.

I have some questions and thoughts I would love some of the more experienced creators to give some input on.

I've been lurking the forums for a while, I learned to make a difficulty slider, so I put that in and try to make the dungeon fun for a solo player first. Made a bunch of bosses, and didn't stack encounters for them. I think they work fine for solo now.

My questions is, should I just stack more encounters on the bosses for higher difficulties? Are there some more interesting options?

The dungeon as of right now is only the boss fights. Should I go for a lot of trash mobs? I can justify going one way or the other in the "story". I'm just trying to decide if a dungeon that is fairly big and does have so much to explore will benefit from plenty of trash encounters.

I made the dungeon fairly big, as such I have plenty of walking, while I love the sense of wonder you can create with dramatic passages and the exploration, I've been told the last section is perhaps to long, is there a way to create something fun that is not necessarily combat that can happen in that section? Perhaps npcs fighting npcs?

I made all my boss fights except the last optional, I was thinking to make the last fight easier the more bosses you fight before, any ideas on this? Perhaps reducing encounter numbers if the bosses before are defeated?

Another question, is there a way to create something like the lore bits that cryptic does have ingame? I assume there's no way to have the player keep them in any way after the quest is done, am I right?

That is all I can think atm.
Here's the short code if you are interested in giving it a go, be warned I think it's very much incomplete right now. Any feedback is however, much appreciated.
NW-DTKAKAB63
Post edited by baemoth on

Comments

• Options
    baemothbaemoth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bump
    10char
  • Options
    chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    baemoth wrote: »
    Alright, my first module is live and I've been asking guildies to play it.

I have some questions and thoughts I would love some of the more experienced creators to give some input on.

I've been lurking the forums for a while, I learned to make a difficulty slider, so I put that in and try to make the dungeon fun for a solo player first. Made a bunch of bosses, and didn't stack encounters for them. I think they work fine for solo now.

My questions is, should I just stack more encounters on the bosses for higher difficulties? Are there some more interesting options?
    No try phases, i.e. one dies and respawns. Stacking is hard because you cannot dodge etc.

The dungeon as of right now is only the boss fights. Should I go for a lot of trash mobs? I can justify going one way or the other in the "story". I'm just trying to decide if a dungeon that is fairly big and does have so much to explore will benefit from plenty of trash encounters. Depends what you want, trash is good for that sensation of running through an area.

I made the dungeon fairly big, as such I have plenty of walking, while I love the sense of wonder you can create with dramatic passages and the exploration, I've been told the last section is perhaps to long, is there a way to create something fun that is not necessarily combat that can happen in that section? Perhaps npcs fighting npcs? Use guards (friendly npc's)

I made all my boss fights except the last optional, I was thinking to make the last fight easier the more bosses you fight before, any ideas on this? Perhaps reducing encounter numbers if the bosses before are defeated? It is difficult to make 'or' options, best to try once you get a grip of it.

Another question, is there a way to create something like the lore bits that cryptic does have ingame? I assume there's no way to have the player keep them in any way after the quest is done, am I right? correct

That is all I can think atm.
    Here's the short code if you are interested in giving it a go, be warned I think it's very much incomplete right now. Any feedback is however, much appreciated.
    NW-DTKAKAB63

My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    baemoth wrote: »
    I made all my boss fights except the last optional, I was thinking to make the last fight easier the more bosses you fight before, any ideas on this? Perhaps reducing encounter numbers if the bosses before are defeated?

That's not too hard, you can stack different difficulties of optional encounters on the boss and have different ones spawn depending on which optional encounters the player defeated. Use the appear/disappear in visibility on the encounters you combine with the boss.

As far as using "trash" mobs vs using bosses. Killing bosses non-stop gets old for 2 reasons.

-The inability for us to create unique bosses. There's only like 5 unique solo encounters to pick from or we just stack mobs ontop of each other to create bosses.
    - Enemies who have too much health become very boring to kill in succession, especially for classes who aren't awesome at pure dps.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nokturnel wrote: »
    That's not too hard, you can stack different difficulties of optional encounters on the boss and have different ones spawn depending on which optional encounters the player defeated. Use the appear/disappear in visibility on the encounters you combine with the boss.

Please do not advocate stacking.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Please do not advocate stacking.

I didn't lol, he's talking about removing encounters and making the boss easier. I'm telling him how to despawn encounters.

As far as not stacking any encounters on a boss mob period. You gotta be crazy, the hardest single encounter we can add to a map is a joke for any class at any level. You just have to understand how much each class can preform and create a difficulty slider so no matter your level/class you can handle it solo.

(Unless you're trying to design a group foundry quest which I suggest not doing, due to our inability to create challenging group content without just stacking tons of mobs)
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nokturnel wrote: »
    I didn't lol, he's talking about removing encounters and making the boss easier. I'm telling him how to despawn encounters.

sorry, maybe I misread.
    My new quest:

WIP