test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Could the people claiming the economy is utterly destroyed explain...

aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
... why the AD/Zen exchange rate on Dragon dropped from about 430 to 370 over the course of the last two days? Shouldn't it be locked at 500 to 1 with the MASSIVE EXPLOITS BREAKING THE ECONOMY 4EVAR ZOMG!?!??!?

Actually, seriously, anyone know why AD rates dropped that much virtually overnight? I was expecting a gradual decline and 370 within a week or two. Any explanation why?

Seems to me that the sky-is-falling routine is pure histrionics from most people. Much like the game should be flooded with cats, according to this forum, but it's rare I actually see someone with one, the fort knox of illicit astral diamonds are largely fictional or have simply been dealt with *far* better than most people think.

So, seriously, anyone know what caused a 15%'ish percent drop in Zen/AD cost over two days? Is the economy fixing itself that damned fast, or is there some specific event I missed?
Post edited by aftershafter on

Comments

• Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because... uh... PWE is greedy?
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cause purple items go for 100 to 300 AD at AH.
  • Options
    darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This pricing is very comparable to STOs Dilithium pricing on Zen conversion. I don't see the problem. And before you go calling PWE greedy, that is exactly what you all are being by trying to lock it down. You guys are no different on being greedy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Because... uh... PWE is greedy?

Actually, my point is, the rate is getting significantly cheaper for us when everyone was claiming that it should be stuck at or near 500 because the economy is tanked. Also, keep in mind, it's players putting that Zen up for sale and setting that Zen/AD ratio, not PWE. The price they offer is dictated by the mini-market forces present in this game.
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Cause purple items go for 100 to 300 AD at AH.

And djarkaan... Care to explain why cheap epics in the AH would lower the cost of AD? That should be largely tied to whether the economy is flooded with astral diamonds, thus devaluing them. Non cash shop items going cheap in the auction house - how does that affect the AD/Zen exchange rate, exactly? Serious question.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's obvious to me: The economy is broken because ninja'd loot won't sell for as much as they thought it would when they ninja'd it, in some cases. Note that I have actually seen that explanation used in these discussions, so it's not pulling it out of my ***, just something that has been stated to support that the economy is busted, and can only be fixed by a wipe. As things look right now, or rather, as they looked yesterday, when I actually did some browsing on the AH, things are pretty much the same as they were early on; prices are all over the place. Starting bids, despite the people that lost items really cheap when the AH went down with bids on the them, are still being listed for 1 AD with no buyouts. So at this stage, the gloom and doom isn't really coming to fruition.

There have been no mass buyouts of Zen or AD on the exchange, and no mass buyouts, as of last night, on the AH. As the OP pointed out, the conversion rate is, instead of remaining steady at a higher rate, steadily dropping or leveling off much lower than one would think if one was trying to keep the max level of profit off of exploited AD. So really, other than ninja loot not being as profitable as it might have been, I'm not seeing the long term destruction that has been predicted.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It jumps back to near 500 from time to time as well.

The Nashers™ are likely realizing that they cant launder their ill gotten goods on their mule accounts in the same game where it is all being monitored. With ZEN they have the ability to jump games after conversion.

High impact events and their effects will always level off over time, but that doesnt mean we still wont be seeing the effects for weeks or even months. It all depends on the percentage of Nashers™ whose accounts were banned, and how much of the ill gotten goods were nullified.
  • Options
    tonapahtonapah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When people have all the AD they need (due to the glut for whatever reason), there is more zen available than AD. Look at the converse pricing. Buying zen is very pricey right now. It's simple supply and demand.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Note that I was merely jesting about the "greed" reference. I actually told this a few days ago: the gear exploit only makes purples cheaper, it doesn't "ruin" the economy.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tonapah wrote: »
    When people have all the AD they need (due to the glut for whatever reason), there is more zen available than AD. Look at the converse pricing. Buying zen is very pricey right now. It's simple supply and demand.

Tonapah... Actually, the pricing of Zen was higher a few days ago - you know, when everyone said the economy was doomed to have ridiculous Zen/AD prices forever - and is almost to the lowest point I've seen it since the game's release. So, yes, it is supply and demand, but relative to what it has been, it is not very pricey, and is getting less so.

You've got the right mechanic in mind tonapah, but the AD/Zen price is moving exactly the opposite direction you're claiming it is. Buying Zen is cheaper than it was two days ago by a significant margin - not the sign of a flooded economy.

And Steppen... Ah, apologies. Guess I have trouble telling sarcasm any more with the ridiculous way people act in this forum!
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    /tin foil hat

Uhhh, the exchange rate is being manipulated by the developers to make it look like the permanently-broken economy is fine, after they pretended to solve all the problems by taking down the AH and tracking down all the illegitimate diamonds and goods. I don't care what empirical evidence you have, the economy is broken because we say so!

(sarcasm in case it doesn't translate well through text)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ah, I see Rat... Actually, a PWE guy just showed up at my door and told me to put my Zen up for cheap on the AD market... OR ELSE! He then kicked over all my potted plants. Boo hoo :(
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah, I see Rat... Actually, a PWE guy just showed up at my door and told me to put my Zen up for cheap on the AD market... OR ELSE! He then kicked over all my potted plants. Boo hoo :(

Good thing we don't have Druids in game yet, or you could have sic'd one on him...:p
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013
    After people have so much Zen, what is the point of buying more? If I had hundreds of millions of AD hoarded, and had already traded for thousands of dollars of Zen, why would I keep selling it for Zen right now?

Some people will be afraid to draw attention to themselves right now by making large transactions, some will hold the hoarded AD for later so they can use it to manipulate the AH, and others will sell it directly to the gold-selling companies for cash.

The Zen/AD market is not the only aspect of the economy, though it is the one PW cares most about (since it affects their bottom line).
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because uhhh it is... Trust them the economy sucks and will never recover. They are experts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    braddass wrote: »
    After people have so much Zen, what is the point of buying more? If I had hundreds of millions of AD hoarded, and had already traded for thousands of dollars of Zen, why would I keep selling it for Zen right now?

Some people will be afraid to draw attention to themselves right now by making large transactions, some will hold the hoarded AD for later so they can use it to manipulate the AH, and others will sell it directly to the gold-selling companies for cash.

The Zen/AD market is not the only aspect of the economy, though it is the one PW cares most about (since it affects their bottom line).

Haha, exactly the kind of "logic" we've been making fun of in this thread. No evidence and no data, just pure conjecture and guessing.

Also, if the theoretical person you speak of had traded for thousand of dollars of Zen, they would have been investigated and banned by the company, since, as you mentioned, this would greatly affect their bottom line. I know logic doesn't fit into your argument very well, but it's inconveniently (for you) the truth in this case.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    With ZEN they have the ability to jump games after conversion.

No they can not . You can not move zen from one game to another .

Also cheep epics ? I don't see them . I been looking to get 2 pieces of the other set and a set for my alt . All of them are way more expensive then before Caterday .

It is also a holiday weekend , which should inflate zen prices since theoretically more new people playing and trying to buy AD . We shall see what zen rate does come Tuesday .
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So... people are hoarding all their gear/AD with thousands of zen.... and you think they weren't caught? Oh, that's right, they traded it to mule accounts using ninja IP Proxys.... and the devs can't simply trace the trades, right?

Economy is fine. Game is running well. Bug fixes and new content are in the works. Deal with it.
  • Options
    pede1990pede1990 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    All of them are way more expensive then before Caterday.

Caterday. Its my favorite day of the the week!

Edit: Caterday*
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Problem with this idea is that if these people are sitting and waiting, time is not on their side, if it hasn't already turned against them. PWE/Cryptic has access to all of our accounts as well as auction house/Zen transaction histories, and can simply flag and suspend the people who have "thousands of dollars of Zen" or suddenly got millions of AD in one or two auctions and trace the history of their actions. Even if some people do slip by, it seems a bit unrealistic to think that this wouldn't be their top priority when, as you say, it affects their bottom line.

While you've made a good point, hoarding either AD or Zen acquired in a huge burst during a period where PWE/Cryptic will know to flag people who suddenly acquired massive quantities of AD doesn't lend itself to successfully long term hoarding. If someone is sitting on millions/billions of illicit Zen or AD, they'd best be damned sneaky about it, since the powers that be are actively hunting this people now. Since the powers that be have access to all our information and are a database search away from finding the people with massive quantities in store, I doubt this will be the iceberg to sink this economy, or even lead to long term market manipulation of any significance.

And gold sellers? They have accounts too. Someone may make off with real world money over this with the gold seller being the ones ending up holding the bag.
  • Options
    braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013
    I am honestly pleasantly surprised that everything seems stabilized. I hope that means they got most of the exploited AD out of the economy. Also, any increase in the money supply appears to be somewhat offset by the glut of level 60 epics.

The OP asked for an explanation of what could be happening, and I gave a possible explanation of why the Zen Market would be OK. No one knows for sure the amount (if any) of exploited AD still in the economy. I am confident they got all of it on the exploiters accounts, and hope they got most of it on their mule accounts. If so, the only exploited AD still in the economy is the money the exploiters laundered to other players and spent on the AH and Zen Market.
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also cheep epics ? I don't see them . I been looking to get 2 pieces of the other set and a set for my alt . All of them are way more expensive then before Caterday.

The difference between shards is insane though. Mindflayer shard has 8 Adventurers in the AH, with prices varying from 61k - 110k. Dragon shard has 74(!) with the cheapest going for 30k. Everything seems to be ridiculously cheap on Dragon.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Braddass, your effort at a reasonable response was appreciated. I actually do believe that some people would slip through the cracks hoarding, and also that some of the AD/Zen in question has dispersed into the economy and is having an effect on it, though not nearly the massive one some claimed.

End result, the big economic crash everyone was screaming about, oh, two days ago simply will not happen - or what we've already seen was it. Life goes on - enjoy the game, or find a new one.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No they can not . You can not move zen from one game to another .

Also cheep epics ? I don't see them . I been looking to get 2 pieces of the other set and a set for my alt . All of them are way more expensive then before Caterday .

It is also a holiday weekend , which should inflate zen prices since theoretically more new people playing and trying to buy AD . We shall see what zen rate does come Tuesday .

They can, just not directly through the companies system. If they get caught doing it theyd likely receive a ban, but they already took the risk of exploiting in the first place, so they arent adding more risk by laundering their zen.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    The difference between shards is insane though. Mindflayer shard has 8 Adventurers in the AH, with prices varying from 61k - 110k. Dragon shard has 74(!) with the cheapest going for 30k. Everything seems to be ridiculously cheap on Dragon.

yeah , it seems dragon has more serious raiders then mindflayer . We are a casual bunch .
  • Options
    bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Oh no, purples are cheap ! Oh wait. Doesn't that mean we all get purples ?
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Curious, are the other shards experiencing a similar improvement in the AD/Zen rate?
  • Options
    breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am honestly pleasantly surprised that everything seems stabilized. I hope that means they got most of the exploited AD out of the economy. Also, any increase in the money supply appears to be somewhat offset by the glut of level 60 epics.

The OP asked for an explanation of what could be happening, and I gave a possible explanation of why the Zen Market would be OK. No one knows for sure the amount (if any) of exploited AD still in the economy. I am confident they got all of it on the exploiters accounts, and hope they got most of it on their mule accounts. If so, the only exploited AD still in the economy is the money the exploiters laundered to other players and spent on the AH and Zen Market.

I never thought I would see the day when you would lighten your stance and actually look at the numbers in game.

As a side note quoted from the state of the game by devs.

"We believe that we have eliminated the majority of the currency that was earned through these exploits. We’ve also investigated the reports of exploitation or illegitimate currency that our players have sent in. Fortunately, in many of these cases, we found that players who claimed to have retained illegitimate currency in chat or on the forums after the issue was resolved did not truthfully have the items that they claimed to have. Still, we continue to investigate reports of potential exploitation every day."
  • Options
    breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bori4 wrote: »
    Oh no, purples are cheap ! Oh wait. Doesn't that mean we all get purples ?

Eventually yes. This game has allowed for both leveling and gearing up very quickly. They made it where the market will eventually reach a saturation level. Once a majority has T2 gear, T1 will become obsolete like green and blue 60's are now. It will be very interesting to follow. Right now the market can't get enough AD.

Trying to predict where prices and zen to AD will be 6 months from now would be impossible. It will be up to the game developers to make adjustments in AD acquirement and gear availability for anything to continue to retain value. This will be necessary for the game to continue to improve or hang on to its current revenue stream.
  • Options
    raztaxxraztaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Im sure it will take some time for the econ to stabilize. This is really not unusual for a new game...I remember the same 'sky is falling' doomsday predictions when Diablo 3 was released.
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So now you're confident? I'm glad you've finally come over to the side of logic and backed off from the stance you took for days and days(and even earlier in this thread) that the economy is forever ruined by shadow exploiters even though you had no evidence of same.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/