test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts from a level 60 Sab rogue

dasblackmandasblackman Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Thieves' Den
While playing and reading the forums, I notice a lot of us tend to pick an exec build. That wasn't really my playstyle, so I decided to try sab. The build is all about maximizing time in stealth and using combat advantage to the fullest. Of course, I'm not going to get the crazy crits and dps of an exec, but I take the least damage while dealing out a consistent and significant amount, a skill that's valuable in difficult dungeons with overtaxed healers.
Some people might disagree with me, but I choose to have charisma as my highest stat. Better bonus from combat advantage, better deflection chance. This helps and I think stacks with crits. Right now power is my highest stat, but I'm trying to see if crit would be better to see if it stacks with combat advantage.
It's hard to see if I'm doing the right thing since not many other rogues I know play like this, but do any other sab or non-sab rogues have any input?
I'd appreciate it
Post edited by dasblackman on

Comments

• zalathorm7zalathorm7 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If only a respec was reasonable, I'd love to try out the other feat trees. The progression in the rogue community was pretty typical (myself included).

1. "Hey look, crit spec. I bet it's beast"
    2. "Hi guys, wuts best feat spec"
    1. "I went crit"
    2. "Ok, looks good to me"

Repeat that over and over, and make people pay out the *** for respecs, and what you get is an entire community pigeonholed into one spec.

Since so few people will either go for a non executioner spec to begin with, OR so few people will switch to try it out, I would love to hear the experiences of the non-exe group.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frivolifrivoli Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    das: I'm a lvl 31 Rogue going for a Stealther build. At first I was looking at the Scoundrel tree thinking it was exactly what I wanted... but then I started doing the math and realized it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I'm thinking now of going Sab mostly.

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me though:

1) Did you get all the Stamina feats (+10% Regen, -10/20% Cost, +Stealth on Dodge)? Do you find them all useful?
    2) Do you use Gloaming Strike? Is it effective as a gap closer?
    3) I want to be mostly PvP... I should avoid the capstone right?
    4) What did you do with your other 10/11 pts?
    5) If you run Shadow Strike and Bait 'n Switch can you stay in Stealth permanently?
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    frivoli wrote: »
    das: I'm a lvl 31 Rogue going for a Stealther build. At first I was looking at the Scoundrel tree thinking it was exactly what I wanted... but then I started doing the math and realized it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I'm thinking now of going Sab mostly.

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me though:

1) Did you get all the Stamina feats (+10% Regen, -10/20% Cost, +Stealth on Dodge)? Do you find them all useful?
    2) Do you use Gloaming Strike? Is it effective as a gap closer?
    3) I want to be mostly PvP... I should avoid the capstone right?
    4) What did you do with your other 10/11 pts?
    5) If you run Shadow Strike and Bait 'n Switch can you stay in Stealth permanently?

I went Saboteur on my first Tiefling TR, got it to 60 and then read all about crit. Respecced a couple of times (ok, quite a few actually) but I never really got the hang or feel of it. Didn't want to spend more money than I already had, so I went ahead with the Drow and got it in it's 50's now, mostly saboteur.

So I can only answer some from my 2cents worth of experience.

1) Yes, and possibly. I still only get 2 dodges in a row, but if I time them carefully, I do get to do more of them.
    - as a note, it seems to me the %return is based on the total of stealth you have left, so it's not a fixed number. Meaning a dodge will restore more stealth when your stealth bar is still pretty full. I haven't tested this, just a hunch. It is possible to stealth, dodge to a target and have (near) full stealth remaining.
    2) I did, never again. I tried it with the feature that returns %stealth with each strike. I tried to maximize stealth with the Bait dummy, Shadow Strike and Gloaming Cut. It's possible to remain in stealth almost indefinitely that way, but it's boring as watching hedges grow, and trim them. Because that's what GC looks like, it's slow to execute, a decent gap closer, but without much impact.
    3) no clue, newest rumor I believe is that armor penetration is the way to go, at least for TR's. And looking at the math, AP scales wonderful.
    4)maxed gain from Combat Advantage... and I'm not sure yet, either Deft and Daze doing more damage from stealth or the 5% chance the recharge on encounters drops a second. I've tried that one too (told you I respecced a lot), and while it's usefull, I personally prefer to know exactly when I can use a power. But with all the attacks per second of a TR, I reckon it can shave of a few seconds from the powers with 5+ second cooldowns.
    5)If you want to trim hedges with Cloaming Cut and have decent timing, yes. But probably not in PvP, as this tactic relies heavily on the dummy.

But don't overlook Shadow Strike, it only needs one point (it does ridiculous damage either way) but the short daze it offers when you apply it from stealth is a great setup to benefit from the extra damage from stealth of the Saboteur path. And Wicked Reminder applies three stacks then... :)

my 2cents worth
  • frivolifrivoli Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Yerune for the answers!

Everyone seems to say the same thing - GC sucks. I'm disappointed. I was hoping to be able to stick to people with GC to free up the Encounter slot dedicated to Deft Strike. You pretty much always have to run Deft Strike in PvP, right?

FYI, 5% chance on AWs to remove 1 second from Encounters = once every 20 attacks. When using Deft Strike, you get ~2 attacks per second which means in 10 seconds you can remove 1 second from your encounters... which works out to roughly a 10% reduction to your Encounter power cooldowns (assuming you attack for the whole time your encounters are cooling down).
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zalathorm7 wrote: »
    If only a respec was reasonable, I'd love to try out the other feat trees. The progression in the rogue community was pretty typical (myself included).

1. "Hey look, crit spec. I bet it's beast"
    2. "Hi guys, wuts best feat spec"
    1. "I went crit"
    2. "Ok, looks good to me"

Repeat that over and over, and make people pay out the *** for respecs, and what you get is an entire community pigeonholed into one spec.

Since so few people will either go for a non executioner spec to begin with, OR so few people will switch to try it out, I would love to hear the experiences of the non-exe group.

Or you read through all the Feats, research if there's any testing done on their mechanics and then make a informed decision based on available facts.

All evidence points to Executioner being the best PvE spec and a decent PvP spec.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte