test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Portal/Door Transitions

teamcatteamcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I've been toying with the Foundry--tons of fun with a lot of cool possibilities. I've kinda hit a roadblock though with portals and doors that is severely limiting what I want to do with quests. Haven't been able to find any answers from searches and guides so I figured I'd ask. Two things I assume are possible (or at least should be possible) but I can't seem to do:

1) Make a portal or door transition the player from one map to an entirely new map, i.e. outdoor map to indoor, cave to mountainside, etc. It seems like it's probably possible if it's done through your main quest objectives, but I'd like to add doors that are entirely optional--say you find a door in a back alleyway that opens up to a little shop or something with an NPC who offers hints about the main quest but doesn't actually offer any necessary quest objective, that sort of stuff.

2) Make portals that only activate AFTER you speak with an NPC or interact with an object of some kind. This seems like a no-brainer that it should be possible, because how often in quests in RPGs are portals just sitting there. You typically have to trigger them somehow.

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on these things. I appreciate any ideas or answers tremendously. :)
Post edited by teamcat on

Comments

• crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You cannot send someone to another map and not have it be part of the story, as a rule... However if you were a crazy nutter you could hand make your entire map and mix indoor and outdoor in which case you could get something like that to work... See the quest The Beast Within or B2 Borderlands. Those quests are handmade. For the Beast within notice you can mount up inside the building that has 3 levels? Yeah.. totally handmade on an outdoor map/ B2 Borderlands indoor caves also totally hand made.

edit: Oh, and to make portals activate 'when', most people choose to hide the portal behind a wall or w/e and have the wall reveal it /disappear 'when'.
  • krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    teamcat wrote: »
    ... Two things I assume are possible (or at least should be possible) but I can't seem to do:

1) Make a portal or door transition the player from one map to an entirely new map, i.e. outdoor map to indoor, cave to mountainside, etc. It seems like it's probably possible if it's done through your main quest objectives, but I'd like to add doors that are entirely optional--say you find a door in a back alleyway that opens up to a little shop or something with an NPC who offers hints about the main quest but doesn't actually offer any necessary quest objective, that sort of stuff.

I'd like to know that as well... but so far, I can only open doors if I place an "Unlock door" objective (with or without required key quest item)
    teamcat wrote: »
    2) Make portals that only activate AFTER you speak with an NPC or interact with an object of some kind. This seems like a no-brainer that it should be possible, because how often in quests in RPGs are portals just sitting there. You typically have to trigger them somehow.

I think until you make an objective of the "Interact with object" kind, that portal will be visible but with no effect. (by default, it will be visible immediately I think)
  • goregutgoregut Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

My solution here was pop a small invis wall over the spot where the portal is. I linked the map transition to the invis wall. That way the portal was still linked to the response of the NPC, but wasn't kept visible due to the map transition. Then when the player got close enough they could click the wall to go to the next map, but it was close enough to the portal it feels like you're clicking on it.
  • teamcatteamcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crok2 wrote: »
    You cannot send someone to another map and not have it be part of the story, as a rule... However if you were a crazy nutter you could hand make your entire map and mix indoor and outdoor in which case you could get something like that to work... See the quest The Beast Within or B2 Borderlands. Those quests are handmade. For the Beast within notice you can mount up inside the building that has 3 levels? Yeah.. totally handmade on an outdoor map/ B2 Borderlands indoor caves also totally hand made.

edit: Oh, and to make portals activate 'when', most people choose to hide the portal behind a wall or w/e and have the wall reveal it /disappear 'when'.

Thanks for the replies, folks. These were two work-arounds I was considering, but was hoping there was a more elegant solution I was just overlooking. I am just crazy enough to build my own indoor room, it's just unfortunate I'll have to go that route because the pre-fab rooms in the indoor kit look a lot snazzier than anything I'll likely stitch together myself.

Also, my biggest hangup with just leaving the portal out there and revealing it by removing a wall or something is that portals are SO DANG LOUD. I can hear them from halfway across my map and it kinda ruins the surprise when you can hear the portal long before it's revealed. I may just change my portals to simple glittery door transitions that are less flashy but don't make any noise.

This whole issue would be made so much simpler if portals had the same visibility options that every other object has... :/
    goregut wrote: »
    My solution here was pop a small invis wall over the spot where the portal is. I linked the map transition to the invis wall. That way the portal was still linked to the response of the NPC, but wasn't kept visible due to the map transition. Then when the player got close enough they could click the wall to go to the next map, but it was close enough to the portal it feels like you're clicking on it.

This sounds intriguing but I'm confused what you mean by map transition. Is that something that's tied to the quest objectives when you load up a map? What I'm hoping for is an entirely unnecessary but super helpful portal to pop open if a player talks to an out-of-the-way NPC. So it can't activate through a quest objective, just if the player explores enough to find the right folks.
  • krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I brought up this issue weeks ago but it seems if the game is patched quite often, the foundry issues are probably not a priority, unfortunately.

I would love to get some feedback about foundry patches.... Pleaseeeeee?