test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Problems Testing (Please Read!)

shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I love the foundry as an idea, and have managed to struggle through many hours to get a semi-working version of an adventure out...

The reason it is only semi-working? Because it seems I need to publish and release an adventure to be able to test it correctly. There are several things NOT working properly inside the foundry editor that work absolutely fine when published, this has led me to see certain pros and cons, but would really rather just test something out fully INSIDE the editor before publishing!

A: (severe/critical) When choosing the "play from this spot" option, often times it will put me below the map or in some random location (even if the point in question is a SPAWN point)... when hitting reset map or ctrl-r, it resets it, but about 1 out of 20 times will put me on the spawn point, the only option is to find a way to kill myself which can be very difficult if there is no monsters below the map (good, but bad as well) and no lethal terrain method (like falling)

B: (Fairly major) No way to accelerate the story in the editor. Meaning, if I wish to test a new part in a map, but it requires other parts of the story to have been accomplished prior, then you just have to run the entire story for that map up to that point to test it... cannot just 'skip ahead' to that point and test whether it is working or not.

Example: Story is - 1: talk to NPC; 2: Reach a point; 3: Kill Enemy; 4: Talk to NPC again

If you are testing the dialogue on part 2 of talking to NPC (step 4), but the NPC will not appear until objective complete, or there is a locked door preventing talking to the NPC ahead of time, etc (so many reasons) then you have to either play the entire map, OR get rid of everything preventing it, test it, then go back and reset all of the things you removed... it would be MUCH easier and better if there were a way to advance the story with a command so that you can just test that ONE part... Otherwise, gotta run through the whole thing over and over (instead of spending 3 minutes testing, take 10 minutes each time)

C: (fairly minor) certain animations do not work properly until published. IE. Feign Death on an encounter. If that encounter is spread out some (artillery back a little, soldiers up front, etc) then on trigger, the soldiers will stand up and fight, while the artillery will twitch into a standing position but then lay back down, and will continue to twitch until activated by standing close enough... Once published, the ones close to enough to aggro off the ones you triggered will stand up and begin fighting, the others will just lay there. This is quirky at best, but causes issues in testing that make it near impossible to set up "possum ambushes" without first publishing the adventure to test it!

I have found that when I play the adventure from the beginning inside the editor, it acts completely buggy and sometimes horribly... once published, it is almost perfectly smooth, but any errors/bugs I find mean I now have to log out and back in, go into the editor, change something, TRY to test it, find I cannot, publish it again, then test it once public and hope no more glitches... either way is taking a long long time, and each has benefits the other does not have, but one major CON: Once it is public, you begin to get some reputation based on your adventure, and since it needs so many reviews before being made fully public, if no one wants to try it again due to it being buggy all the time, your adventure will never become an actual published material.

Something needs fixed here. If anyone has any work arounds, let me know, please!