test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I actually like Shard of Endless Avalanche

speedrope01speedrope01 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Library
Its a fun power. While its pretty clumsy to use on a regular encounter key, putting it on tab is pretty neat.

You can drop it directly on stuff to knock them down, then use tab and target where you want it to go to mow down stuff. The damage is pretty good too when it detonates...but its arcane instead of ice damage, contrary to the name.

I dont think it deserves such a bad rap.
Post edited by speedrope01 on

Comments

• capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think its more about what to remove to include it. chillstrike tabbed does a lot of damage and gives combat advantage to your group on a targeted mob. ROE, ST and Shield are too good IMO to sacrifice for shard. Ray of enfeeblement just melts mobs and IMO has to be used on bosses. Its a great group buff because it increases everyones damage.

Shield and stealtime build massive AP. Chillstrike is a handy snare for an elite mob harrassing the healer. It casts where you point it. It rarely misses due to the mobs moving or getting bounced around (GWF and GF or CW shield burst use)

Not that it means much but i do top damage meters with those encounters and rarely if ever feel like i lack control. The encounters build AP so quickly you are ASing almost non stop in boss encounters.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its a fun power. While its pretty clumsy to use on a regular encounter key, putting it on tab is pretty neat.

You can drop it directly on stuff to knock them down, then use tab and target where you want it to go to mow down stuff. The damage is pretty good too when it detonates...but its arcane instead of ice damage, contrary to the name.

I dont think it deserves such a bad rap.

I like it too, it is a good AoE damage and knock up as long as you line it up. It does pretty brutal damage if you get both parts to deal damage too. Between it, steal time, shield and singularity, some really mean AoE controls with good damage too.

To speak to the post above about what to replace, my tab slot changes situationally from RoE, Chill Strike, and Repel, so Shield, Steal, and Avalanche usually occupy my encounter slots.
  • khazaadkhazaad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Oh it's fun as hell ain't it? :D Especially when you're elevated. I feel like a golfer trying to chip up to the green! I use it in PVE and PvP. It actually seems indispensable in PVE. Seems like a no brainer. The only thing I don't like is how easy it is inadvertently cancel the casting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This power has definitely grown on me. Once I figured out how to aim it, it became a "blast" to use.

Think of it like a giant arcane bowling ball.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I use it in the Spellmastery slot when we do Kurrandax along with Frozen Soil, Steal Time and Shield. Between those 4 powers (and Singularity) can roll out near infinite CC out on a constant stream of targets to protect the Clerics while the other 2 DPS take down the boss. The shard is actually really good because if you miss dropping it on a pack of targets which blows up and knocks them prone then you can just roll it (where ever you target so you don't have to "push" it) and blow it up that way.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    I love it. It adds skill to the whole button facerolling. I gotta try it out tabbed, I guess it's even better :).

Best regards,
    Kalantris
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bowling Ball of the Endless Avalanche is both fun and great control. Just use it with care as it does do some knockback upon shattering.
  • demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It sits in my built perm, standing next to hit gives you stacks of AM, its nice if you need a longer cc on a pull, pop, stand next to it for a few sec, cc then launch it at enemies, my Never group uses it well, AOE CC - Hole - DC (flame strikes hole loc) throw shard at enemies, aoe cc - Conduit of ice - Hole again hello perma cc with dps :) (additional if you have a rogue smokebomb hole location)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • backbite44backbite44 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fun factor it prolly tops the list imo. It took a little practice using it at first but I think its great now. I'm not a damage calc guy but I can say that, as a power/crit spec'ed CW I have had a pretty smooth ride packing all AOE powers, even with green gear. I think I actually like that it isn't simply a point and click power, it has some adaptability. Im a fan.:)
    Saved!
  • bluereverendbluereverend Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    i just got it myself and replace entangle for it, i just think at this point its better than just CC 1 enemy mob. Currently I have Chill Strike tabbed, shard of endless avalanche, sudden storm and steal time. btw, Is mealstorm of chaos worth investing into?
  • vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    i just got it myself and replace entangle for it, i just think at this point its better than just CC 1 enemy mob. Currently I have Chill Strike tabbed, shard of endless avalanche, sudden storm and steal time. btw, Is mealstorm of chaos worth investing into?

It's worth at least 1 point. Any more is questionable imo simply because it CAN stun bosses and normally un-CCable mobs. That and, by means anecdote, it seems to reduce damage by 90% and you're able to cast it while dazed... so it's a useful PvP desperation tool.
  • bluereverendbluereverend Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    It's worth at least 1 point. Any more is questionable imo simply because it CAN stun bosses and normally un-CCable mobs. That and, by means anecdote, it seems to reduce damage by 90% and you're able to cast it while dazed... so it's a useful PvP desperation tool.

sounds AWESOME, thanks :)
  • demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shard is REALLY fun to use.
  • d9934k46d9934k46 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's ugly and I hate how it works I would love to see it replaced with a mechanic and effect more appealing.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Please don't respond to threads which haven't been posted on in over 30 days let alone over nine months.
    If you would like to continue such a discussion please make a new thread to do so.

It is very unlikely the information and reasoning for the opinions within this thread are still pertinent today nor is it likely many people in this discussion will see it after so long.

Thread Closed for Necromancy.
This discussion has been closed.