test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maze builders: a question

notauriousnotaurious Member Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
What is your maze strategy for building and troubleshooting walls?

I have a maze that no matter what I do, mobs aggro from some spot(s) and pull the whole thing. I haven't seen any gaps in walls, no rounded wall meeting rounded wall... I notices places where the screen flickers when I walk by, but that even seems to happen on solid wall components.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Short Code Copy/Paste: NW-DJC4R9H3R
Post edited by notaurious on

Comments

• Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not your fault. Aggro and pathing AI in Neverwinter is atrocious. It's especially bad when you mix in height (eg: Y axis in external map).

They'll often aggro through Foundry-placed walls, etc. Your best bet is to user larger maps and treat point to point range as the aggro range from the blue aggro sphere, ie: circle. Even then I've seen mobs not aggro until very close to them or aggro from too far away. Aggro is just a PITA in the foundry.

But there is hope! :) Your best work-around is to not show the encounter until the player reaches a certain spot. Spawning triggers are your only salvation there.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I thought this was only an issue in the Foundry, but when you publish it then they dont clip through walls?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's not your fault. Aggro and pathing AI in Neverwinter is atrocious. It's especially bad when you mix in height (eg: Y axis in external map).

They'll often aggro through Foundry-placed walls, etc. Your best bet is to user larger maps and treat point to point range as the aggro range from the blue aggro sphere, ie: circle. Even then I've seen mobs not aggro until very close to them or aggro from too far away. Aggro is just a PITA in the foundry.

But there is hope! :) Your best work-around is to not show the encounter until the player reaches a certain spot. Spawning triggers are your only salvation there.

I didn't think it was so much my design. When I first made the map, it was fine. Then I discovered where I placed a mob in the wall, ergo had issues. I also fixed any rounded-rounded edges. Perfect. Then last night someone commented on aggro issues. I go in today, get to one point, and for the first time ever, EVERYTHING aggros. I just deleted the maze and am rebuilding it with wider halls.

Excellent idea on the pathing/spawning... however, what is your strategy for this if you do not want to set objective components? They need a spawn button that doesn't require objective pathing, or perhaps I am missing that...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    NM, am tinkering with the marker now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
    One of the things I learned when I made my first maze is that tight corridors are not a good idea. Place it in a nice, big, outdoor map and make sure the corridors are plenty wide. This should eliminate at least some of the pathing and aggro problems.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    notaurious wrote: »
    Excellent idea on the pathing/spawning... however, what is your strategy for this if you do not want to set objective components? They need a spawn button that doesn't require objective pathing, or perhaps I am missing that...

Just add a marker to your map, set its location and radius. Set the encounter to be visible when the player "reached" that "component".
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    yospeck wrote: »
    I thought this was only an issue in the Foundry, but when you publish it then they dont clip through walls?

I think it was the inverse for me. I had nothing going on in foundry, then when I played the quest in-game, I hit all the mobs. I had a guy that could not trigger a door for the same reason. I am going to put a bypass option in this maze just for safety measures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]