test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rimehound trouble

kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
I like a challenge, seriously I do, but this Rimehound is giving my cleric fits. Its bad enough he has 2 attacks that do a combined insane damage that pretty much insta-kill me, never mind the fact I have gone through serious amounts of healing potions already (I think their timer is way too high BTW), but his little buddies that are along do damage and things like knock you prone, and whats the worst thing? The synergy of their abilities, and I am not sure if its just great coding or just how things line up, but it almost seems they line up their line and AOE abilities to be angled for maximum and most synergistic effect. I try to move and dodge (which is limited due to stamina) and many other things. It just seems, I end up making a mistake which is very unforgiving in this game and the Rimehound does a lunge attack that does insane damage knocks you down and then he has like a 10K AoE attack.

I don't ask for help unless I need it, and this one is the first mob that has seriously just kicked my tail up and down the map and kicked me in the Ice-hole good. The rest sucks bad, I kill 2 wolves, and Rimehound kills me, they get to respawn. Then I am back to square one.

Is there something I am just missing with my cleric? My companion (Guardian Defender type) goes down pretty quick, I have him slotted with teir 4 runes too.

Very frustrating... Only a couple in my guild can help me and they are not logged on ATM.

any help?
Post edited by kabothoriginal on

Comments

• varwevarwe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On my CW after a couple of deaths I tried pulling him into the previous room. You still have to deal with him, but his adds spawn in the original room and are far enough away that they don't aggro. So you still have a tough boss fight, but at least you can focus all of your attention only on him.

Hope that helps a little.
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yea, of all five classes that I did this on the Cleric was the most difficult.
    I even had a bug during this that spawned two Rimehounds after death #1. The Rimehound that killed me and waited for me where I left him and another back in his den with the two adds.

I managed to kill him using the Guardian Defender after I (luckily) dinged level 50 during the fiasco and slotted Astral Shield.
    I had less than 5% health left when I downed him... definitely a challenge with the Righteousness debuff but certainly doable with proper timing. He seemed to hit much harder on my cleric than both my Rogue and Wizard.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I tried Kiting him to the other room, 2 of the dogs came with. I dunno, it is a level 48 quest and thus far. Sigh, maybe I have to wait till 50 to finish... I mean if I was twinked like a year from now in all blue and purple gear I might be able to do it. But most of my stuff is green.
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    [Combat (Self)] Rime Hound deals 2548 (3190) Physical to you with Lunging Bite.
    [Combat (Self)] Rime Hound deals 7079 (8863) Cold to you with Ice Spikes.

Yeaaaaaa that's not OP at all, short timer, prone effects, etc...

Sometimes I want to shake a programmers or two, especially how insane healer agro is, even reduce agro feats.
  • llewelyn89llewelyn89 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dragged him back a couple of rooms - there's a big one with quite a few traps. He's big & smacks hard, but fortunately is as dumb as a post & will constantly run over his own traps. It was like hit, block, bolt (jumping trap) - rinse & repeat. I'm sure the traps would have topped the damage table there on my run through.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fights like these are what <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> me off.

There's too much artificial difficulty in this game.

Spawn ridiculous adds, or have a ton of instant unavoidable/unpredictable attacks that do a ton of dmg.

Weak minions that run at light speed and hit you for 1k repeatedly, there's no way to avoid that besides just killing them really quick. Just frustrating.

They should atleast make the animation for his lunge more obvious so you atleast have a chance to dodge the **** thing.

I finally beat it though, by just kiting him out the room where he spawns so many god **** adds. Then all you have to worry about is the high dmg lunge you have to heal through...

Pseudo-action RPG BS.

I literally just did that mission like 10 minutes ago, so I'm a bit irate lol.
    edited May 2013
    Well I figured something out, I am sure the fight wasn't meant to go this way, but I beat him through mechanics. Lets just say I died like 40 times before killing him off.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh, the extra dogs are annoying, but when they come out, focus on killing them fast and dodging their attacks. Use potions, no matter what class, and you should be fine. I've done him on two characters so far, and only died once. Didn't have a healer companion or anything like that, and i did fine. I'm not even that great a player.
  • banshisbanshis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The fight was very hard for me as a cleric, but I pulled him into the previous room and then he charged me, but fell off the cliff and he died so I got a win. That was on my 3rd or 4th try. The fight itself when you have to go through it all is a pain for a cleric.
  • seattlegator43seattlegator43 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With Guardian Fighter: Tried several times to beat it in the "normal" combat. So... I marked him to make him chase me, ran back to previous room near the ledge. Got him between me and the ledge then used a knockback power. Done.
  • agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Probably the most annoying and frustrating part of the game so far. There's not nearly enough time between his specials to even execute solid tactics in this fight. It's basically just hope you can chug pots fast enough to not die and hope you don't get unlucky enough to be stunned into the big damage attacks. Hate it.
  • demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pull him back 1 room and knock him into the pit on the left. hes kmockable when not casting his line attack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • atompenguinatompenguin Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He... wasn't that hard for me.

Killed him first try on my cleric. At level or one below.

Edit: He was even easier on my GWF.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • nexdinenexdine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    He... wasn't that hard for me.
    Killed him first try on my cleric. At level or one below.
    Edit: He was even easier on my GWF.

It's slightly luck-based, if you run into the big room and try to deal with the aggro and stuff. The ice wolves in general are super-annoying with the freeze and the knockdown stuff they do, and if you get them working in sync against you you'll be frozen and immovable right when the Rimehound hits you with his big whammy.

They also aggro like mad on any clerics. The best tactic I've found on this (not that I've done it more than a few times) is to run in, get aggro from him, and drag him and the original smaller wolves to the next room. That way you'll have a sporting chance and can actually use some tactics.

This one actually leveled my GWF and a Cleric party member twice due to the stun-hit-stun-hit-stun rhythm they managed to set up/got out of luck before we pulled into the next room.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    He is very hard.

Died a couple of times, then tried pulling him and the one add he had spawned when I came back into the room with the traps. Killed the add, then my healer companion went down, and I was able to deal with the boss one on one in a slow and hard but doable fight. This was on a CW. Entangling force is a must for CW in this fight I think. Lots of pots, too, he hits hard when he does hit. One of the harder boss fights up to this point and I was slightly overleveled for it, too.
  • ohvictoryohvictory Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    **Solution**

Take the rimehound all the way to the initial room. You know the one you've probably spawned into a million times because you kept dying?

You will constantly die (just have that shift + 2 button ready) BUT the rimehound's health will not reset and you can just wear it down. I died like 10 times before I killed it.

I had solo'd (and enjoyed soloing) the game up until that point. It was just impossible to kill it. Then after a month of a break and wanting to get back into the game, I tackled the problem and came up with that solution.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You don't have to stay in red, especially as a cleric. You can dodge quite a lot of stuff, so you should do it. If you can't escape the tiny AOEs the Rimehoud does, there's no way you do fine in epic dungeons later.

NB: a tank pet can help.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In the room before the hound, the one with the goblins and the traps...the top right is a ledge. Pull the hound into that room, dodge behind him then use a divinity-powered Sunburst to knock him off the ledge. One hit kill. Collect loot.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • greyslayer11greyslayer11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    llewelyn89 wrote: »
    I dragged him back a couple of rooms - there's a big one with quite a few traps. He's big & smacks hard, but fortunately is as dumb as a post & will constantly run over his own traps. It was like hit, block, bolt (jumping trap) - rinse & repeat. I'm sure the traps would have topped the damage table there on my run through.

This works very well.
  • seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    llewelyn89 wrote: »

I took him back into the room with the traps, and it turned into a great silliness: I just ran in circles around the edge of the room, I didn't fight at all. He ran after me, but I was always outside of his red, and he hit the traps again and again, when he was at 1% health I turned, cow-tipped him over, and declared my glorious victory!
  • gardhullgardhull Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Eh, the extra dogs are annoying, but when they come out, focus on killing them fast and dodging their attacks. Use potions, no matter what class, and you should be fine. I've done him on two characters so far, and only died once. Didn't have a healer companion or anything like that, and i did fine. I'm not even that great a player.

No video -> didn't happen
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was overleveled (56 IIRC) on my DC when I did this, with phoera companion and buff potions, and STILL almost died a dozen times during the fight. Only reason I didn't actually die was because I blew through a stack of 20 greater healing potions and would run in circles dodging around him, and getting off a quick Forgemaster's when I could, while waiting for cooldown so I could use another. Only thing that saved me from adds was Hammer of Fate which could reliably weaken or kill one wolf at a time -- don't even get me started on how HoF would work in that fight now.

(spoiler: it wouldn't work and that's the problem)
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    pull him back 1 room and knock him into the pit on the left. hes kmockable when not casting his line attack.

This. Easiest boss to fight with my DC.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • rabbituprabbitup Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I tred doing the mission today, and apart from a few visual bugs here and there (the textures would disappear and I was walking on air), my problem was that even though I walked outside of the red area on time, I would still get hit. There were times I was standing at the edge of the red area and managed to run to the other side of the room before the attack finished, yet I still received full damage and CC. Basically, unless I dodged these, or I was standing outside of the area when the red lines appeared, they were auto-hit. But I only get 2 dodges, and with the wolf spamming these attacks non-stop, one of them would connect dealing 8000 damage and I would die as soon as I stood up when the wolf did the Run-and-Bite attack.

I still haven't managed to beat it :/
This discussion has been closed.