test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stop calling it Open Beta!!!

2»

Comments

• hyttehanshyttehans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    nevfe wrote: »
    Ok, so if this really is an 'open beta' what differences can we expect when it's 'launched'? The prices go up???

You can expect a more polished game, with only few bugs, MUCH less downtime, and my guess more content, and if devs are smart lower zen shop costs.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Stop making these threads!
  • renshaw1renshaw1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nevfe wrote: »
    Ok, so if this really is an 'open beta' what differences can we expect when it's 'launched'? The prices go up???

Well by that time I expect there will only be the "it's beta" people left, then they will have to find new excuses as to why the same things are still broken. So yes prices will need to go up to makeup the difference in lost customers. /sarcasm

I don't think we will be seeing the official "live" label for a long time, and if we even do the only difference will be (hopefully) fixed bugs and more content.
  • crowflcrowfl Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have open beta, and closed beta most of the known game's ever released. When the game went live you started from lvl 1 with empty bags and empty bank, period. Its the only fair way to release a new game.
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am fine with them doing things how they are. Would I like a wipe? Yes I would. But just because you or I want something does not mean it is going to happen. I could also care less about what they call things and how they approach the launch of their game. Anyone with a brain knows that this is a beta, because they say it is a beta. If it was not, they would not. Sadly, they care more about the business side of things and the short term cash grab than the economy or health of the game. Cryptic is not a game purist and they are hardly fans of anything other than making a dollar. Much like WotC with the DnD IP. They could care less about the history, keeping things pure and true to the ideals that things were founded on. All they care about is making the next dollar. Bring PWE into the mix and it just keeps going downhill from there. Bethesda is probably the only game company with enough heart or guts to do something like a wipe because it is the right thing to do, regardless of the dollars lost over short sighted players leaving.

But even the almighty Bethesda who walks on water and turns turds into bread is likely to be much different than what people think when ESO hits the market. Just look at what happened with SWtOR and Bioware. A company that everyone thought was one thing, turned out to be another. Sadly, none of these MMO companies make something because of some higher calling or an ideal of being true to an art form. There is no reverence or respect, just doing whatever makes them have the highest possible quarterly profit margin.

So, OP, your heart might be in the right place, but you are looking to an ideal, not something that will ever be real. There is also a whole slew of legal issues, because Cryptic and PWE came out and said "there will be no wipes". I guess they have not yet learned about painting themselves in corners and running their mouths. Quite ironic when you consider the spirit of why they are calling it an open beta for sure, but nonetheless, things are what they are.

The best solution in the end, is to allow players to choose a fresh, wiped shard to play on that is never merged into the exploited, cluster FAQ that Neverwinter has currently become. That way, players who do want a wipe, can choose a self wipe. Players who choose this would have all Zen and AD restored to the accounts in a "virgin" status. No money would be refunded, just accounts set to base values. All characters on other shards would be deleted and players who choose to play this new shard would not be able to create characters on them other shards. Early access and all could be reiterated on this new shard.

What people who give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> should be advocating is not a server wipe, but just an option, to choose, a voluntary account reset to the base Zen purchased and base account state prior to open beta. Of course all zen purchases post beta would be reset, to original values before players ever spent anything in game, but no money would be refunded. Then as stated there would be a separate shard permanently created for these players to play on. By making it a voluntary choice, there would be no legal issues, and no loss of legit paying customers. Players could choose to play with exploiters or choose to walk away and leave them and their fake AD behind. Sure the exploiters will follow to the new shard, however they would hopefully be kept in check by Cryptic in the future.

Even this solution or work around should not happen now though. There are more exploits to be found and when the game is ready for "official" launch that would be the time to do such a thing. Call it the Rebirth of Neverwinter Grass Roots Restart Program, or whatever catchy market jingle suits them. Everyone is happy, no lawsuits ensue, no legit players leave the game, win / win.
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is not Open Beta, this is a launched game. The lack of a wipe proves it. In beta it's about finding bugs and exploits to ensure a smooth launch and when you find as many bugs and exploits as you can you WIPE THE SERVERS. Nope, no wipes here, let's just keep the hyper-inflated AD and allow many of the exploiters to keep their tens of millions (sometimes billions) of AD while the rest of us have to deal with hyperinflation. I feel bad for the founders who are still holding on to their 2Mil AD as it's worth much much less than what it used to be valued at.

The point its, call it what it is. A launched MMO that didn't go through an open beta phase. Period.
    (yes this is a rage thread feel free to call me a troll all you want)

Stop giving us a bad name, Penn State Alum 93 here.... and still in State College.
    Feel free to stop down the creamery so I can buy you a cup of Peachy Paterno to go with your tears.
  • hyttehanshyttehans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    crowfl wrote: »
    I have open beta, and closed beta most of the known game's ever released. When the game went live you started from lvl 1 with empty bags and empty bank, period. Its the only fair way to release a new game.

But we cant dictate how game developers run their games, we can either chose to enjoy them, or not.

the Neverwinter crew chose to not have wipes, we all knew that before we created chars on their servers.
  • donfernandodonfernando Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is not Open Beta, this is a launched game. The lack of a wipe proves it. In beta it's about finding bugs and exploits to ensure a smooth launch and when you find as many bugs and exploits as you can you WIPE THE SERVERS. Nope, no wipes here, let's just keep the hyper-inflated AD and allow many of the exploiters to keep their tens of millions (sometimes billions) of AD while the rest of us have to deal with hyperinflation. I feel bad for the founders who are still holding on to their 2Mil AD as it's worth much much less than what it used to be valued at.

The point its, call it what it is. A launched MMO that didn't go through an open beta phase. Period.
    (yes this is a rage thread feel free to call me a troll all you want)

5tzzwy.jpg

you not a troll, you idiot like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzAufWvuXEk
  • azithothazithoth Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    I agree. Open Beta is a semantic adjective and no more. Once money began changing hands the term beta no longer applied.

^ this ^ .
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am enjoying this open beta, when does this game release?
  • rolltide13rolltide13 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is release not open beta fools.
  • preludeiipreludeii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://www.perfectworld.com/

all you need to do is look at the handy little game status key they give you
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The drooling fanboys will continue to ignore all logic and just take Cryptics word for it.
    edited May 2013
    The drooling fanboys will continue to ignore all logic and just take Cryptics word for it.

Yes cause its a conspiracy right! they make you think its beta and then its realy not, and aliens and stuff right?