test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Companion for CW and why ???

redincibleredincible Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Library
Like the tittle says i want to know whats the best companion for cw and why, some ppl says its a small ball some says its the cat, just want to spend my AD in something.
Post edited by redincible on

Comments

• quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At the moment, the cat is your only option, as it's available with straight AD; the Ioun stone requires the exchange to Zen, which isn't up.

I'd say cat is overall better for a CW, anyway. More Crit and Recovery.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How do I get a Cat? I only have the free companion healer.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • nixpix76nixpix76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From the companion vendor I would guess, its roughly 1Million AD.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How do I get a Cat? I only have the free companion healer.

It costs 980,000 AD. You buy it from the AD vendor (or the companion vendor).
  • redincibleredincible Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    whats the stats that the Ioun stone gives to you ?
  • wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I got the stone golem guy.. i love him very dearly :D
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • frostii0frostii0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cat only counts crit and recovery.
    Ioun stone of Allure gives you all stats you give on your pet
    ATM my ioun stone is giving me like 1K pwr 700 crit 700 recovery and some random stat on the ancient stuff i put on it.

so best pet? for end game, atm its ioun stone, for early game? cleric.

if your good at the game, you wont need to tank too much.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you buy Zen and convert to AD or do you have to earn AD thru Quests etc?
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • clacksonclackson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When the exchange is up, you can swap zen for ad if there are purchase orders up, yes.
  • ciopenhauerciopenhauer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    frostii0 wrote: »
    ATM my ioun stone is giving me like 1K pwr 700 crit 700 recovery and some random stat on the ancient stuff i put on it.

This is incorrect. Whatever you equip the cat with you will get as well. The only difference is that you get less base crit/recovery on the Ioun because you also get power.
  • wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

The problem is my opinion is this.. a CW is made for CC/teleporting and thats how alot of people level. They build and act around not getting any damage or avoiding as much damage as possible. In my opinion this makes clerics usability waaaaay lower then when you use it with any other class.

Thats why i would still say either a tank to keep mobs aggrod while you dps .. or a dps to help you kill mobs.

Ofcourse different people can have different strategies so perhaps cleric does work for some
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
    edited May 2013
    ~what about the Ioun stone of might? the one you can buy with bars.. have 3 offense slots when Ioun stone of Allure have only 2..
  • knightmaxwellknightmaxwell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would the cat be better then the founder pets? They have the same number of slots available to them. Is there some base stats per pet?
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would the cat be better then the founder pets? They have the same number of slots available to them. Is there some base stats per pet?
    The Cat (and both Ioun Stones) transfers all stats to the player and can't be killed outside weird situations. It basically acts as 3* extra equipment slots and 3 "extra" Runestone slots to directly boost your character. It doesn't fight, tank or heal, it's "merely" added equipment slots. However, since it doesn't fight it also doesn't get insta-gibbed in Epic dungeons and it doesn't mess up aggro (the tank types) or positioning (with knockback) either.

The other companions are great for solo and ok for non-Epic dungeons.

*Ioun Stone of Might is capped at Rank 20 and thus only has 2 slots until they let us purchase training manuals.
    edited May 2013
    The Cat (and both Ioun Stones) transfers all stats to the player and can't be killed outside weird situations. It basically acts as 3* extra equipment slots and 3 "extra" Runestone slots to directly boost your character. It doesn't fight, tank or heal, it's "merely" added equipment slots. However, since it doesn't fight it also doesn't get insta-gibbed in Epic dungeons and it doesn't mess up aggro (the tank types) or positioning (with knockback) either.

The other companions are great for solo and ok for non-Epic dungeons.

*Ioun Stone of Might is capped at Rank 20 and thus only has 2 slots until they let us purchase training manuals.

what do you man capped at rank 20? cat and the other ioun stone are not capped?
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    redincible wrote: »
    what do you man capped at rank 20? cat and the other ioun stone are not capped?
    Cat and Ioun Stone of Allure are capped at 25, which unlocks the 3rd equipment slot.
  • khazaadkhazaad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    I got the stone golem and i love him very dearly :D

I got him too except he seems a little attention deficit. Daydreams a lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Cat and Ioun Stone of Allure are capped at 25, which unlocks the 3rd equipment slot.

So what do you think is the best choice for my cw ?
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just finished my second 60 wizard and used the ioun stone of allure the entire way up. All companions can use any level range of gear (so load them up with 60 blues/purples) but the real benefit of the stones/cat is transferring those stats right to you. So I was pretty overpowered for most of the levelling trek and always top damage in instances I did even though pretty much all my powers were control abilities and not pure damage ones.

Of course I used more potions than I would have with a cleric, but I killed stuff WAY faster and often without taking any damage at all.
  • ttnugettnuge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Definitely challenging right now with the AH down for someone to gear out their stone to help with leveling. Any advice on which gear and/or prices an aspiring CW should be paying for some decent equipment for their stone?
  • gallantflamegallantflame Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm I certainly have a LOT to learn about this game!
    What are AD Quests and at what level do you get them?
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm I certainly have a LOT to learn about this game!
    What are AD Quests and at what level do you get them?

Those are your daily quests. Also leadership profession has tasks that can get AD as well. And thirdly invocations often grant AD. Using these three sources you can acquire significant AD.
  • zanthe25zanthe25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    considering power has much less diminishing returns than crit/recovery I think I will likely favor Ioun Stone, especially if your using eye of the storm in your build
  • excaliderpexcaliderp Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have to also note that the stone has an icon instead of a belt slot so that means you can have another offense enchant for more crit/recov/power.
  • lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The stone may be better once they come out with companion upgrades because of the Icon slot instead of the belt from the Cat, but right now, the Cat is better, crit and recovery both scale better than power does, and the Cat gives you more of those two stats.
  • zierzozierzo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Leaving the cat aside as an endgame / best absolute option, for non zen spending and getting all the way to 60, which one would you preffeer ... wizard companion or cleric?

At first glance cleric would seem to complement better the CW with that 20%life 30CD heal, basically to save up life pots, but looking closer the wizard seems it could work out better slowing mobs in addtition to your own cc, avoiding hits is always better than mitigate them and cc is never enough. Also could synergyse better specially with a frost based CW (me) slowing the mobs that resisted your own chill. (teorhycrafting the companion chills could count towards for your skills that take into accound chill stacks ?)

Thanks you ;)
  • chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    One thing to note is that your augment companion is not level restricted on gear. What I mean by that is as soon as you open a slot (Ring / neck / belt / icon /etc) you can put in a level 60 epic item right away, dont matter what level you are, your pet can use anything available. Makes leveling an alt a breeze if you dump some decent level 60 items onto thier augment pets :)
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The cleric companion for leveling. Simply because there are already many ways (bugged or otherwise) for you to ramp up your DPS, but you'll have very little control over how CWs have limited staying power.

While leveling to 60 your are at your most vulnerable while your encounter powers are on CD. The cleric helps with this, significantly improving your survivability while you dance around waiting for your 1-shot skills to finally become castable again. She also helps cut down on healing potion spam.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • fogalmamsincsfogalmamsincs Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can anybody tell me whats the difference between green and blue stone? They have almost same slots, but price is 500k vs. 720k AD atm.
  • chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Can anybody tell me whats the difference between green and blue stone? They have almost same slots, but price is 500k vs. 720k AD atm.

Diff base stat allocation (The green stone has some def on it iirc?) and the green stone is capped at level 20 meaing you cant unlock the 3rd item slot until the training manuals become available. The blue stone has a level 25 cap and will unlock all equipment / runestone slots at 25.