test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(GWF) Anyone tried focusing on a Reaping Strike build?

remmy1313remmy1313 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
So I've seen some At Will discussions and the 3 main build discussions but all of them dont really say anything about Reaping Strike. A few discussions mention it but by how they talk about it they didnt really give it a fighting chance. Is that because it's honestly bad, or has no one really tested it correctly? Done a few T1 runs now using it exclusively and i feel that it puts out great damage. Almost feel like trying out a build around it and seeing how it plays out. When i get enough AD to respec twice (to said spec and then out again if needed) I'll test it more thoroughly.

So while I'm saving up has anyone tried a Reaping Strike build? Or if you were to design one where would you put your points?
Post edited by remmy1313 on

Comments

• Options
    atomicfateatomicfate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    remmy1313 wrote: »
    So I've seen some At Will discussions and the 3 main build discussions but all of them dont really say anything about Reaping Strike. A few discussions mention it but by how they talk about it they didnt really give it a fighting chance. Is that because it's honestly bad, or has no one really tested it correctly? Done a few T1 runs now using it exclusively and i feel that it puts out great damage. Almost feel like trying out a build around it and seeing how it plays out. When i get enough AD to respec twice (to said spec and then out again if needed) I'll test it more thoroughly.

So while I'm saving up has anyone tried a Reaping Strike build? Or if you were to design one where would you put your points?

good luck with it. only way it will work is if you tell the group " HAY GUYS, DONT ATTACK FOR LIKE 10 SECONDS WHILE I SET THIS <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> UP!!" which never ever ever ever evar happens.
  • Options
    ballsackingtonballsackington Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lolknockbacks should suffice as to why this build wont work
  • Options
    remmy1313remmy1313 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i dont PUG and my groups dont use knockbacks at all, so that wont be a huge issue. Not to mention, you'll have a backup At Will to use while the mobs are low health or i need to be more mobile.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reaping Strike works fine for me.

Dunno what all the complaining is about. It takes quite literally 20 minutes to master. Tried the whole WMS/WS left click/right click craptastic spam and all it did was expedite a future case of carpel tunnel. Went right back to WMS/Reaping.

It's not for everyone. Some people just have tunnel vision or can't handle the task of avoiding AoE or blatantly telegraphed KB's or sit on Determination for hours on end for god knows what reason. But for me Reaping stays on my hotbar. It ain't comin' off.

Haters gonna hate.

Personally, don't care. Do your thing and I'll do mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    realpureshadowrealpureshadow Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    Once you do tier 2's everything has knockback. Also you need to not use moves that lock u in place like flourish. It will get you killed on bosses when u get locked in place and have to avoid an attack.
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Reaping Strike is pretty beast for boss fights. Spec'd properly, it allows you to compete with rogue single-target DPS.

I've had mine crit for 22k on boss fights, the trick is to make sure you aren't hitting anything but the boss ;)
  • Options
    krakenaznwkrakenaznw Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wind up time is too long, and it can be interrupted. If they'd either half the windup, or make you immune to CC (or at least knockback), I'd give it another shot.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    asdfasdfgf wrote: »
    Reaping Strike is pretty beast for boss fights. Spec'd properly, it allows you to compete with rogue single-target DPS.

I've had mine crit for 22k on boss fights, the trick is to make sure you aren't hitting anything but the boss ;)

Yeah I saw that feat and was thinking it could be sexy.

Was wondering if Reaping would be used only in single target situations with that build or does it stand up to WMS during aoe as well?
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I usually WMS for AOE for the debuff. Then again our CW gives me very little AOE time in most situations :mad:

Usually only having the boss in your sights isn't an issue due to tanks not tanking and cleric/cw controlling adds in the astral shield.

Karrandax, boss is alone 95% of time(Cleric/CW juggle adds away from boss)
    Spell Plague, boss is alone 95% of time(Cleric/CW knock mobs off)
    Frozen Heart, boss is alone 95% of time(Cleric/CW kite mobs around the room)
    Spider, boss is alone 95% of time(Cleric/CW knock mobs off[or pull boss out of room if playing with exploits])

If you want to compete with rogues auto attacks of 2-3k and BS skills/daily hitting retardedly hard, spec for Reaping Strike and keep with a rotation of Flourish/IBS/Reaping Strike. Or just spam Reaping Strike. It's pretty smexy when Determination is up. The wind up for it isn't nearly as long :).
  • Options
    kwazikwazi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would love to put the reaping strike feat but there aren't enough points for me to justify putting it into a feat that is very narrow. (Have to use reaping strike which means standing still for 3~ seconds, have to strike a target that is alone for bonus damage which might not happen all the time since reaping hits in a huge arc)

Reaping strike in general overperformed for me, even at rank 1 keeping destroyer stacks, WMS debuff, student of the sword debuff up it did a ton of damage and the times where I couldn't use it I just used WMS instead. A spammable attack that does almost (or more) damage than an encounter is pretty good in my book, at least for pve. I wouldn't touch reaping in pvp unless they lowered the charge time to 2.7 or something.

Will definitely put 3 points into reaping the next opportunity I get for a respec.