test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Multiple dialogue endings

kelathkelath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Good day to everyone,
I am creating my first foundry quest and I cant figure out one problem. I will try to present it in most basic situations of all. You are speaking with an NPC and you have two dialogue choices [Good day to you] and [DIE YOU PEASANT]. Now obviously first dialogue choice will end with everyone being happy and the quest can go on, but how to do it that if player will choose the second option, that either the NPC or encounter will spawn, become hostile towards player and combat will occur? Thank you for your help.
Post edited by kelath on

Comments

• Options
    yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You would have to set up on the NPC that he disappears when the dialogue [Die you peasant] is reached, and that an encounter (dressed the same as the NPC) appears when the same dialogue is reached. So when the person clicks that option the NPC disappears and reappears as an aggressive mob.
  • Options
    kelathkelath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And how can I do that?
  • Options
    luther8luther8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its easy to do multi dialog if its not story related, the story is linear so it can only follow one path but if you add normal npcs you can do contact then advanced dialog, then spawn or despawn that npc when certain dialogs are triggered but again it can't be story based but you might be able to trick the person playing into thinking it is.
    The Adventures of Sherlock Colms

Quest I
    The Mysteries at Fang Ridge!
    Short code: NW-DGTN72HYL
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That is what I basically planned on doing the quest object would remain the same say...open the locked door and move into next room. And either the door would unlock itself by resolving the dialogue peacefully, or you would have to open it by key that would drop from a enemy that would spawn when player would resolve the dialogue in a hostile manner. Is this how you meant it?
  • Options
    luther8luther8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can use multiple triggers for a single object so it should be vary do able.

Quest I
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Could you recommend to me tutorial that would cover specifically usage of triggers in this situation please?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sorry too tired to load the foundry up, might crash for some sleep right now but i learned everything from experimenting, load up a dummy map with a little room and a door and start messing around, if you can't figure it out by tomorrow i might take a look at it and wright up a how to.

Quest I
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Alright, its a deal, I put several hours into my first project already, and I kept postponing this one dialogue with multiple options, but now that I am doing my first test runs I want to make it work, I will try to fiddle with it and thanks for help.
  • Options
    rathenau15rathenau15 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    This is actually one I'm having trouble with myself. Let's say I want a simple dialogue with the outcome of:

1- The NPC leaves.
    2- The NPC turns hostile and you'll need to fight it.

The problem I'm having here is that you can only select one prompt for a non-story dialogue NPC to disappear. (unlike the story ones where you can set them to disappear when their objective is completed) Multiple prompts do not work as both of them need to be fulfilled in order to make it work.

Currently I'm using a blank dialogue box at the very end to de-spawn the NPC, but this annoys me to no end. Anyone else knows of a better solution?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I tried to fiddle with it but still no solution found unfortunately.
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rathenau15 wrote: »
    This is actually one I'm having trouble with myself. Let's say I want a simple dialogue with the outcome of:

1- The NPC leaves.
    2- The NPC turns hostile and you'll need to fight it.

The problem I'm having here is that you can only select one prompt for a non-story dialogue NPC to disappear. (unlike the story ones where you can set them to disappear when their objective is completed) Multiple prompts do not work as both of them need to be fulfilled in order to make it work.

Currently I'm using a blank dialogue box at the very end to de-spawn the NPC, but this annoys me to no end. Anyone else knows of a better solution?

You could try "This component completes". Any dialog should trigger that which would then despawn your NPC. I believe there is also a "when component begins" which you could set to the mob encounter you are spawning off the dialog. I have a lot of these triggers at use in my story but nothing where the player can be hostile to the NPC so all of this is assumption.

One thing I can say for certain, no matter what it will take more steps than it seems when you first map it out. That has consistently been my experience with it. I'll map something out and think it will take 4 steps and it ends up taking 6. You just have to keep going until you are satisfied with the result.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    juravianjuravian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    With non-story conversations, it's not the dialog ending that triggers the desired response as it is with storyline dialog.

With non-storyline dialog, you have to edit the NPC itself, and tell it to do what you want when "Dialog Prompt is reached"

Create the original NPC and edit it. Using Disappear When. set it to disappear when "This Component Complete"

Then you create a copy of the NPC that looks the same, and an encounter with the skin of that NPC.

1- The NPC leaves. -Have the exact copy of the NPC set to appear when this "Dialog Prompt is Reached", and set to "One Way Patrol" to walk away.

2- The NPC turns hostile and you'll need to fight it. - Set the encounter to appear, when this "Dialog Prompt is Reached".

Hope that makes sense.

Edit: to try and make it clearer.