test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boss CC immunity and damage spells

khakiasskhakiass Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Library
In a dungeon / skirmish, if a boss cannot be controlled, is it worth it to continue to cast spells like Entangling Force and Arcane Singularity? Does the damage portion of these spells continue to be applied, even if the CC aspects of the spell cannot?
Post edited by khakiass on

Comments

• bluereverendbluereverend Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    From what i've seen yes, you still do the dmg even if the controlling effect doesn't apply
  • griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited May 2013
    I don't think Entangling Force damages dungeon bosses. I've never seen it proc a damage number on a dungeon boss.

I'm not too sure about Arcane Singularity. When I've used it, there's been too many damage numbers from other mobs to notice if it's damaging the boss. Anyone know for sure if Arcane Singularity damages dungeon bosses ?
  • vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Entangling should still give you AP though, a lot less than usual so just throw it out anyways.
  • vudujuicevudujuice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's why they are called encounter powers, you only use them in encounters they are needed. While I understand that there are times when you need CC on adds I could also say that damage creates action points which allows you to use dailies more often. Arcane singularity can be used more often when you are doing more damage to build more action points.

When not needed I would use another more damaging spell (yes I know Entangling does damage to other mobs I don't believe it does on bosses ) and that creates a negative as you create less action points. Not to mention you should always have Chill strike on you bar which is hard hitting AoE dmg and single target CC.

My main point though was that your spells can be replaced for certain fights. Finding that mix is completely up to you.
    Slater - Mindflayer - Control Wizard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluereverendbluereverend Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    vudujuice wrote: »
    That's why they are called encounter powers, you only use them in encounters they are needed.

Wrong actually, they're called encounters because the game is based on D&D 4e and in there there are some Encounter powers that you can only use once per encounter (At-wills: however you like, Dailies: once per day).
    So.....thats why :P
  • vudujuicevudujuice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wrong actually, they're called encounters because the game is based on D&D 4e and in there there are some Encounter powers that you can only use once per encounter (At-wills: however you like, Dailies: once per day).
    So.....thats why :P

I dont care if im "wrong actually" the point remains, spells are interchangable for a reason.
    Slater - Mindflayer - Control Wizard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    no it doesnt do dmg and is a wasted power in the fight, except you're the cc-bot that has to handle the 10000000000 add waves so your group doesnt get overrun by them.

thats why they're called encounters. you choose them for every encounter you.. encounter.
  • mosheblackaddermosheblackadder Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chill strike is effective I use it a lot on the boss as well as conduit of ice to build ap to use the daily powers more often but any aeo that does damage to those irritating adds is welcome imo