test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

so rather than address the problem

ashkedawnashkedawn Member Posts: 113 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
so let me see if I have this right....

you were aware of the exploit, because it happened in another game your company runs
you were aware of the exploit in this game since alpha testing, but did nothing to address it
you were aware of this exploit and the danger it posed to the game world economy but went ahead and promised no wipes
so when the inevitable happened and the economy is borked, your solution was roll back 7 hours, let those with equipment, mounts and cats keep their items gained through this exploit, ignore the damage to the economy and say oh and here's a little giftie for everyone's troubles.

so instead of doing the right thing, the correct thing, and wiping everything in order to get rid of the items, ad and zen that was gotten through an exploit, and resetting the economy....you took the easy way out and left the game unbalanced with no economy.

well done, truly stellar job

cya
Post edited by ashkedawn on

Comments

• Options
    epictrilogyepictrilogy Member Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    well said sir
  • Options
    dakaiezdakaiez Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup it's a joke to be honest, all you have to do is look around and see that people still have ill gotten goods. It has done nothing at all considering this has been around since Closed Beta, meaning people have done it subtly since "open beta" release hence why the market is so saturated with ill gotten items and AD now.
  • Options
    slumpywpgslumpywpg Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That's Cryptic for you. Is this your first rodeo? :P
  • Options
    ashkedawnashkedawn Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    first rodeo? no

first rodeo where the rodeo clowns held me down to be f'ed by the bull? yes

no matter though. I have just finished deleting my characters and the game itself. sent out emails to every gaming website, magazine and blog I could find detailing the colossal idiocy of PWE, and now calling it quits with anything related to PWE.
  • Options
    trollsparrowtrollsparrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    Mind was blown this morning.
  • Options
    granville7482granville7482 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I expect the Kotaku story up by the morning.

All I can say is this is my first rodeo. It felt like I was going to a shady downtown game of poker when I started investing. But then I realized it was a shady downtown game of poker in an opium den. Now I just want to quietly cash out and step away, then warm my friends about that place.
  • Options
    kyxoankyxoan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know a phone number for support? I was banned and I didn't do anything, I can't contact support because I'm banned, thank you!
  • Options
    meshooflakesmeshooflakes Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    I see so much egg on faces I feel like cooking an omelette right now.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashkedawn wrote: »
    so let me see if I have this right....

you were aware of the exploit, because it happened in another game your company runs
    you were aware of the exploit in this game since alpha testing, but did nothing to address it
    you were aware of this exploit and the danger it posed to the game world economy but went ahead and promised no wipes
    so when the inevitable happened and the economy is borked, your solution was roll back 7 hours, let those with equipment, mounts and cats keep their items gained through this exploit, ignore the damage to the economy and say oh and here's a little giftie for everyone's troubles.

so instead of doing the right thing, the correct thing, and wiping everything in order to get rid of the items, ad and zen that was gotten through an exploit, and resetting the economy....you took the easy way out and left the game unbalanced with no economy.

well done, truly stellar job

cya

The right thing according to you and many others wasn't considered the right thing by many others. There was no universal agreement between the players how this issue should be handled.

I'm glad I'm not in their position. It's an easy thing to make potshots from the peanut gallery, but not so easy to come up with a universally satisfying solution to a problem that has no solution that will be felt to be satisfying by all.
  • Options
    czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    The right thing according to you and many others wasn't considered the right thing by many others. There was no universal agreement between the players how this issue should be handled.

I'm glad I'm not in their position. It's an easy thing to make potshots from the peanut gallery, but not so easy to come up with a universally satisfying solution to a problem that has no solution that will be felt to be satisfying by all.

The funny thing about people saying that is that they don't realise, that the satisfying solution is plain and simple. The problem is time. It should have been done weeks ago, before the game went live or just when the game went live and the bug was reported. It's undeniable, that:
    1. Bug reporting system was broken and all tickets were removed at some points.
    2. It's the developers' fault it worked wrong.
    3. The bug has been reported, but the ticket got "lost".
    4. It's the GMs'/developers' responsibility to handle bug tickets.

Ergo: It could have and should have been avoided. Talking about satisfying solutions now is pointless. There were such solutions only they don't exist anymore and it's PWE's fault.

Regards,
    Kalantris
  • Options
    xylithanxylithan Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    What it is, is lazy programming. They've clearly copied and pasted code from a previous game, without really implementing it properly. From what people have said, this problem existed in one of their previous games. You've got to be a special kind of developer that doesn't fix said problem before implementing it into a new game.
  • Options
    iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And since bug reporting was broken, some people decided to go to the forums to tell them about the exploits, so that in the off chance it wasn't getting through with the bug report system, it would get through on the forums where nothing could possibly cause the devs to not be able to see it, other than someone coming by and [Post deleted for detailing an exploit]

Piece of advice- next time, if we detail an exploit for you guys... send the details to your bug squashing team before you go ban happy on the people trying to help you. It's pretty sad when you guys are more concerned with banning the helpful people trying to tell you about these exploits than the people ruining your economy by using them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The funny thing about people saying that is that they don't realise, that the satisfying solution is plain and simple. The problem is time. It should have been done weeks ago, before the game went live or just when the game went live and the bug was reported. It's undeniable, that:

Ergo: It could have and should have been avoided. Talking about satisfying solutions now is pointless. There were such solutions only they don't exist anymore and it's PWE's fault.

Regards,
    Kalantris

^ This post, yes. Finally an argument I can agree with.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xylithan wrote: »
    What it is, is lazy programming. They've clearly copied and pasted code from a previous game, without really implementing it properly. From what people have said, this problem existed in one of their previous games. You've got to be a special kind of developer that doesn't fix said problem before implementing it into a new game.

NWO was in development for ages. I saw the first blue dragon video years ago. Chances are, they ALREADY had the issue in their codebase and didn't migrate over.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Regards,
    Kalantris

Could have, should have, would have... are all irrelevant phrases.

It is always too late to take actions in the past.
  • Options
    mojodammmojodamm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Could have, should have, would have... are all irrelevant phrases.

It is always too late to take actions in the past.

Never too late to question 'why' though.
    "The Grey has Risen, Book One" - NW-DDK8N6EYP
    "No Prey, No Pay" - NW-DG2XDJH84

Coming soon, "The Infinite" - NW-DMOHSQHM5