test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why there will be no wipe.

cerykceryk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
One simple reason: They gave their word. From a PR stand point, a wipe is the single worst option because it means breaking a promise and coming off as untrustworthy. Better to keep your word and risk alienating the minority than pissing off the majority, which would be a PR nightmare. And let's face it, the forum people are the minority. Vocal minority to be sure, but most of the people who play MMOs don't visit the forums often and never participate. The majority is less likely to quit over an issue like this than the vocal minority. They would, however, by more likely to quit if everything they worked for was taken away from them after being expressly told it wouldn't be.
Post edited by ceryk on

Comments

• amarystaeamarystae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ceryk wrote: »
    One simple reason: They gave their word. From a PR stand point, a wipe is the single worst option because it means breaking a promise and coming off as untrustworthy. Better to keep your word and risk alienating the minority than pissing off the majority, which would be a PR nightmare. And let's face it, the forum people are the minority. Vocal minority to be sure, but most of the people who play MMOs don't visit the forums often and never participate. The majority is less likely to quit over an issue like this than the vocal minority. They would, however, by more likely to quit if everything they worked for was taken away from them after being expressly told it wouldn't be.

You are 100% correct. This is a business and people just don't understand that. They have made numerous, official, public statements saying there would be no wipe. Going against this would completely jenk the masses and would make any future statements untrustworthy. If I can't trust a business, I am not going to sink any more money into them. Everyone makes mistakes, especially in a beta, and I have full confidence PWI will figure this out without completely resetting everything. Hate to break it to you guys, but no one really cares about the 700 people that voted for a wipe. Especially since 300 of them were probably the same 15 year old clicking yes over and over. There are thousands upon thousands of people that never see these forums. Hell, this is my own first visit today. This isn't big oil, I would fully expect PWI to stick to their word.