test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: GF Threat

amentti1amentti1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hello all,

I thought I should give a simple suggestion to help with the ongoing threat issues that GF experience. So without further ado here it is:
  • Mark: Now can also be used on up to # ally party member(s). A % of the threat generated by the marked ally is transferred to the GF.

This could help even out the threat generated by clerics as I've read somewhere on the forums their threat is generated by visibility, as in heals visible by mobs will generate threat, while the GF has to physically move and damage the enemy in order to build or sustain threat.

This change can also be a double edged sword as multiple enemies can chew through Guard pretty easily.

Now let me just mention that I currently have a level 40 GF and I don’t have experience with end game content, however I’m very satisfied with how tanking is handled in this game. It forces you to pull with your Mark mechanic (very old school WoW-esque) while at the same time it forces you to manage both the mob pack and your available Guard.

I hope my post can spark an interesting discussion.

Thanks,
Luke.
Post edited by amentti1 on

Comments

• supp1shsupp1sh Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    that's a fresh one. mine is in my signature. your's would be fine except that you face anywhere from 5-15 enemies all the time late game (which i know you pointed out you haven't played yet). so we need more stuff to keep threat on multiple targets, not just one in particular.
    MAKE MARK HIT ENEMY AND ALL ENEMIES AROUND IT.
    MAKE THREATENING RUSH A 2-3 SECOND TAUNT THAT STILL MARKS THE SAME WAY.
    REMOVE HEALING AGGRO.
  • blehme255blehme255 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    supp1sh wrote: »
    that's a fresh one. mine is in my signature. your's would be fine except that you face anywhere from 5-15 enemies all the time late game (which i know you pointed out you haven't played yet). so we need more stuff to keep threat on multiple targets, not just one in particular.

The suggestion he gave actually would help with multiple mob threat. He is asking to be able to mark an ally or 2, and all threat generated by that ally, is shared with the GF. So if a cleric AoE heals, then the GF gains threat for all agroed mobs.
  • uhdonauhdona Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds a lot like how Amends originally worked in Everquest 2. How i miss that skill.
  • surv1vor1surv1vor1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It sounds like you guys know what you are talking about, so I will ask here. Is end game tanking as bad as I am reading? It really sounds like I made a mistake going GF as someone who likes to be in charge of pulling and tanking.

Should I reroll a Cleric and build him as a tank?
  • blahlblahl Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've held aggro here and there with mobs, but it seems the cleric's healing aggro stacks a lot more quicker than GF's aggro. It's possible, but most of the time it just doesn't work. We shouldn't take out Cleric's healing aggro, but tone it down then turn up GF's aggro.
  • khail33khail33 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    blahl wrote: »
    I've held aggro here and there with mobs, but it seems the cleric's healing aggro stacks a lot more quicker than GF's aggro. It's possible, but most of the time it just doesn't work. We shouldn't take out Cleric's healing aggro, but tone it down then turn up GF's aggro.

Did you spec into Battlewise?
    edited May 2013
    blehme255 wrote: »
    The suggestion he gave actually would help with multiple mob threat. He is asking to be able to mark an ally or 2, and all threat generated by that ally, is shared with the GF. So if a cleric AoE heals, then the GF gains threat for all agroed mobs.

mmm didnt think of that. so a reactive skill. i can like that. fits into the game well
    surv1vor1 wrote: »
    It sounds like you guys know what you are talking about, so I will ask here. Is end game tanking as bad as I am reading? It really sounds like I made a mistake going GF as someone who likes to be in charge of pulling and tanking.

Should I reroll a Cleric and build him as a tank?

keep the gf for in case they fix the issues, but yeah right now it's pretty much no tanking for us. we just add dps and some stuns into the mix.

can't help you on whether to roll cleric, havent played the class myself
    REMOVE HEALING AGGRO.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Removing the healing aggro is the dumbest idea ever .
    edited May 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    Removing the healing aggro is the dumbest idea ever .

well do tell why

why should our clerics make everything attack him from one healing spell and make the rest of the party useless except to nuke down/cc the mobs off the cleric? oh and let's not forget that the cleric can be one-shot by the amount of mobs and once the cleric is dead, so is the rest of the group.

I SMELL A TROLL:cool:
    REMOVE HEALING AGGRO.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In 4E all attacks from a fighter applied/refreshed marks, I wonder why they didn't go that route here.
  • kirkhodgeskirkhodges Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What's threat? I thought GF was a jester class; here for community amusement.
  • amentti1amentti1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After running the Gray Wolf Den dungeon the other day I felt the need for an extra mechanic although it is of course debatable. It looks to me like the TAB ability that the GF has is seriously lacking, as such I feel that it could be improved as mentioned in my first post.

So here are my final thoughts on the ability itself after running the above mentioned dungeon:
    • Mark: Marks the enemy target damaging it over a period of time while also forcing the marked target to attack the Guardian Fighter for up to # seconds. Now can also be used on up to # ally party member(s). A % of the threat generated by the marked ally is transferred to the GF.

The ability works as such:
    1. It is a pull mechanic, as it was originally intended.
    2. It is a way to mark a target, on demand, as it was originally intended.
    3. Now acts as an emergency ranged taunt. (Some of the mobs in the above mentioned dungeon have a tendency to leap away from the GF thus making threat generation an issue).
    4. Now also transfers some of the threat generated by a # of ally(s), helping with overall threat management.

There it is, an ability that should complement the GF’s threat generation tools.

Thoughts?