test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This game is not in open beta

13»

Comments

• hakawnehakawne Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ITT: People not understanding capitalism, game phases, and depreciation of words or phrases these days.

Most of it is just people not understanding capitalism.
    Go to school, folks.

This just in: forums don't like the degree symbol.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited May 2013
    Agreed which is why I wont be spending money on this game. (One of the reasons) very enjoyable game, and I'd love to support it. But the massive downtime of the servers during prime time, as well as the broken Zen prices makes me unable to do so. 20 bucks for a mount thats not Char Bound I can understand, 10 for bound mounts...40 on the other hand...beyond silly
  • dracothdracoth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    I think everyone is thinking about this a little too hard and should instead consider some simple facts.
    So we have a game that's in beta with obvious bugs and exploits that need addressed coupled with a working cash shop whose stock of items work as intended upon purchase.

I really don't see the issue here.

Clearly the game is in beta so if you're aware that things are broken (feats for example), you're not gonna buy a respec are you? That would be a waste and it would be YOUR fault.

Complaining that there's a working cash shop during a beta............soooo.............don't buy from the cash shop until the game reaches a state you deem worthy of buying from a cash shop.

Why is this hard?

Yea I was pretty much aware from the start... I won't lose money if I don't pay in something that isn't completed. Major components here is handling your money and understanding how the game works when playing it... I would rather play it first during testing without testing and at least try to inform PWE of bugs in order to complete the game to a point where bugs won't be a problem and paying is much safer...

When game is finished and is no longer in testing... With the feeling of able to pay the company safely without having to be screwed by it then you may do so... Just DONT pay during a beta...
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed which is why I wont be spending money on this game. (One of the reasons) very enjoyable game, and I'd love to support it. But the massive downtime of the servers during prime time, as well as the broken Zen prices makes me unable to do so. 20 bucks for a mount thats not Char Bound I can understand, 10 for bound mounts...40 on the other hand...beyond silly

That's why the game is free, and in open beta. To give you the chance to try before you buy....But Cryptic makes awesome stuff, so you will probably eventually buy something. Their tools are only getting better, as a person who was around PRE-STO well...leaps and bounds my friend.
    lunapic-125788638858106.gif
    edited May 2013
    dracoth wrote: »
    I won't lose money if I don't pay in something that isn't completed.

Just DONT pay during a beta...

This is the gist of it. The option to pay for something is available. If you pay, the payee gains a profit and that money's out of your pocket. If you take no money out of your pocket, you are not paying for anything, and there is no payee.

PWE micro-produces items that you can buy. You have no guarantee you are going to be refunded if/when the game gets wiped for a launch. It is your duty, as a consumer, to make an intelligent and informed decision.

Meanwhile, as oreoz2573 points out just a few posts back, the game itself is still functioning (however efficiently) independently of the store; the store can be completely removed from the equation.
  • hiroprotagonistshiroprotagonists Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arrowmatic wrote: »
    I'll never understand why anyone tries to use the strawman fallacy when it's so easily defeated. All you have to do is read what I wrote and your response. You ignored what I actually said and instead made up another argument and attacked it, as if it had anything to do with my post. Your strawman is both textbook and transparent.

What I actually said was, if you insist that this is a beta then kindly explain the actual, functional difference between the game as it's operating now and the game as it will operate after this hypothetical "launch" date. To reiterate, Cryptic themselves have already said that the time of test, change, wipe, deploy phases is over. So explain how the game can be any more live than it is now. I'm all ears.

Live games have bugs, so that's not solid criteria for calling anything beta. Live games get patches and updates all the time, so that doesn't work, either. If that's your definition then every MMO that ever existed was "beta" from the moment it launched to the moment the plug was pulled. Surely that much is obvious to you.

So what does that leave? What will be the actual difference? What to your mind makes this game unreleased?

Well said. 2 years from now, when pw still says this game is still in beta, ill bring this thread from the dead and laugh at all the naysayers. I'm sure some will even try o defend that it is still in open beta. Lol.
    edited May 2013
    Those of you who compare live launches and "supposed beta phases" by saying they all have bugs, downtime, patches, et al, need to realize: a beta is intrinsically unstable. Is the game unstable in its current iteration?

-Downtime during prime time is a sign of excess population and strain on server capacity.
    -I'm prone to doubting three servers are the maximum allowable options for players.
    -Grim exploits, bugged encounters, various errors, having to make a NEW new account to play.
    -I'm also rubberbanding; I rarely have connection issues except promptly +/-6AM CST. So there's that.

I'd say yes, it's unstable, or is "in beta."[1]

Can a beta phase be indefinite?
    Yeah, actually. It can be. How it's handled for that amount of time and afterward is all up to the company, not the players who are arguing whether or not it is in beta.

Keep in mind the definition of "indefinite."
    Well said. 2 years from now, when pw still says this game is still in beta, ill bring this thread from the dead and laugh at all the naysayers. I'm sure some will even try o defend that it is still in open beta. Lol.

I'll be sure to congratulate you on your tremendous[2] victory.

• forumname012forumname012 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    So we have a game that's in beta with obvious bugs and exploits that need addressed coupled with a working cash shop

Clearly the game is in beta so if you're aware that things are broken (feats for example), you're not gonna buy a respec are you? That would be a waste and it would be YOUR fault.

Complaining that there's a working cash shop during a beta............soooo.............don't buy from the cash shop until the game reaches a state you deem worthy of buying from a cash shop.

Why is this hard?

This. They said the game is in open beta. I didn't expect a Live game. I was surprised to see a cash shop that used people's real money - I was expecting to be able to beta test.
  • doctahgdoctahg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They are technically NOT accespting money for the game. Cryptic allows you to buy ZEN for use in any of their products, and then transfer it to whichever game you wish. Not necessarily NW...therefore..still Beta! if that is your requirement of course!