test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The only "perfect" solution: A partial rollback

sophismsophism Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Losing progress is the least of anyone's worries. If they only do some half-hearted targeted bans, good luck being able to use the AH for anything for the next several months. Good luck buying zen with any AD you do make without paying 495-500 per, and have fun with any zen you do buy with real money being completely worthless, since even 5k zen would only give you 2.5 mil, which sounds great... until you realize people that were smart with their zen laundry will have literally billions, so anything worth having will be selling for dozens of millions.

The economy would recover in time... but we're talking 4-6 months if not more. So I'm honestly praying for that 48 hours rollback. Now, assuming they have the tools to do this properly, they could write a script to do the following in this order:

1. Take the servers down. Yes, it will hurt, but people will get over that aspect fast, since hey, they've had maintenance periods during prime time frequently.
2. Any zen purchased with AD gets refunded and the zen is relisted. No exceptions.
3. Any items purchased with AD from vendors get refunded and taken away. No exceptions.
4. Any AD spent on the AH, be it in-game or through the gateway is refunded. No exceptions.
5. Any AD gained from the AH, be it in-game or through the gateway is taken away. No exceptions.
6. Load up a snapshot of the auction house in its entirety from 48 hours ago starting now.
7. Ban the big and obvious offenders. Period.
8. Think of a cool freebie to give to every account. A small amount of zen, or say... a free respec and a single Lesser Bag of Holding for instance.
9. Write a long damage control article explaining this entire process and why it was needed to the community. This needs to be signed by someone of weight, not the community manager.
10. Put the servers back up.

Bonus: 11. Add a failsafe that detects accounts generating astronomical amounts of AD in a short amount of time. Perhaps make it so when an account like that trips the flag, they can't spend their AD on anything until a GM personally checks them out.

This would be the only way to not inconvenience anyone leveling through the game, would prevent the people that gained AD from praying, crafting and dailies from losing it all, and most importantly, would be absolutely pinpoint perfect in removing any AD laundry efforts from the picture.

Now the chances of Cryptic having the ability to be this precise are super slim. All items generated by the game would need an unique ID and very thorough logs about their origin.
Post edited by sophism on

Comments

• Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    At this point I want a total wipe. I'm thinking about just calling my CC company up and disputing all my charges made to PW. It's idiotic how they aren't gonna perma ban everyone involved in exploiting and cheating. They need to support there players and people that invested money into this game.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Nope it won't do, the exploit has been there all along.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They already have an F rating on BBB.
    Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
  • Options
    krehlmarkrehlmar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Crafting can be leveled by AD.

Sorry rollback only answer... Or you'll have tons of items made from crafting ("Hero"'s etc) circulating as well destroying the economy for ages to come.
  • Options
    soleonesoleone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dont forget it's a day one exploit probably used by a few people and now known to almost all players. It affected game economy from the start, so only a full wipe & refund could help.