test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Pack Man (short adventure, will trade reviews)

zefrimexzefrimex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
This is another thread requesting reviews. This quest is only about 20-25 minutes, short and sweet. If you review please post here with your own quest for review and I will be sure to return the favor. Thanks!

The Pack man

NW-DE76NJPYV

This is an updated version of the quest "Ghosts of Arcadis" Based on feedback I have added some additional encounters to increase the length some. It is still a fairly short quest.

A strange merchant known as The Pack Man hires you to exterminate some ghosts that have been haunting a nearby castle. But this castle is a unique one, and not everything is as it seems.

Enjoy this short adventure for 1-2 players that pays homage to a classic arcade game. I'm sure you will be able to guess which one.
The Pack Man
NW-DE76NJPYV

A mysterious merchant hires you to dispose of four ghosts haunting a nearby castle. Enjoy this short adventure that pays homage to a classic arcade game. I'm sure you will be able to guess which one.
Post edited by zefrimex on

Comments

• zefrimexzefrimex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There seemed to be an issue with it republishing, probably related to the downtime yesterday. It should be up and running now!
    The Pack Man
    NW-DE76NJPYV

A mysterious merchant hires you to dispose of four ghosts haunting a nearby castle. Enjoy this short adventure that pays homage to a classic arcade game. I'm sure you will be able to guess which one.
  • todocaldotodocaldo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll check yours out and post my review in game and here.

Please review mine as well and we can help each other get out of Review Hell. NW-DFGF2UXQH

REVIEW: 5/5

Great for what it is, a fun romp through a decent maze. Brought back some good memories but I'm not going to spoil it :)

Nailed what you were going for so I gave it full marks. Had some trouble seeing the red essence but otherwise fantastic job.
  • tabris82tabris82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heya!

I'll review yours, going to duo it since you say its a 1-2 players adventure ^_^

Mine:
    Short code: NW-DLNI2LJDW
    Name: Tale of a key-losing Rat
    Author: @tabris82
    Est. Time: 19min Solo mode.
    Url: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...key-losing-Rat

Thank you!
  • tabris82tabris82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very nice homage quest. I had fun doing it and the orb trails were a nice touch.

Little things you could add:
    When speaking to Pack man, he has no animation whatsoever, so the whole conversation he just stands there.
    There is almost nothing outside the castle, better just close the gate and populate what we can see from inside.
    At the end, you have a go to the next map, you can add a transition to it like Go back to Protector's Enclave.

All and all a fun quest! Good job.
    edited May 2013
    Great feedback guys, thank you!

tabris, I will play your quest tonight.
    The Pack Man
    NW-DE76NJPYV

• atiaxiatiaxi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    My quest is in my sig :)

This quest was, in my opinion, great. I didn't really think something like what you did would even work, much less be entertaining and have a plot. Even little touches like "Insert coin", the disappearing pellets, and the high score bit were spot on. Some of my notes:

- Very nice costume for the Pack Man

- Pack Man: "I own a castle in the nearby mountains called Arcadis" is a bit of a garden-path sentence. Can't tell if the mountains are called Arcadis or the castle is

- Castle entrance has default "Press F to go to next map"

- I wasn't expecting monsters who weren't the ghosts to be there, but it works

- Very dark in the blue ghost's corner (until the fight). Ditto red and pink. Nice FX work blue and red fights, though!

- I laughed out loud at "but this was a linear quest, so I had little choice"

- Nice choice on the underlying monster for Pack Man - his attacks even looked like he was siphoning energy
    --
    My foundry campaign "In Thrall to the God of Rage":
    Crumorn the Spiked: NW-DCDX6KMED
    Nerisatis the Cold: NW-DNIEWE95D
  • nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It was a very cute take on the classic arcade game, but the dungeon had a pretty simple design and the story was predictable. It could use some work, you could probably tie in the fact that the ghosts respawn somehow like in the arcade game besides just having them all appear at the end.

You could also add more details into the dungeon part, the glowing orbs were cool but other than that the dungeon design was very simplistic.

Gave ya 3 stars, but still tipped.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
    edited May 2013
    Thank you very much for the kind words Atiaxi. I will review your quest as soon as I get a chance, most likely tonight.

Noketurnel, I hear what you are saying. I feel like the nature of the dungeon being a homage to a very simple arcade game makes it difficult to strike a balance between not enough detail and adding too much detail that it detracts from the basic idea I am going for.

I tried having the ghosts respawn and patrol but it didn't playtest well for me. Thanks for the feedback, and the tip!
    The Pack Man
    NW-DE76NJPYV

• dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok I thought this was a cute premise, and some of the elements were nice - like the cherries and gobbling dots and high score.

Where it falls short IMO is in some of the execution. Like some of the backstory...do we really need to go to two maps first? Just keep it on the arcade game and weave it in there if you really need to create some elaborate story.

Also maybe shrink up the map a bit.

I gave you a tip & an extra star just because I think this could be pretty cool with some tightening up.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
    edited May 2013
    dzogen wrote: »
    Ok I thought this was a cute premise, and some of the elements were nice - like the cherries and gobbling dots and high score.

Where it falls short IMO is in some of the execution. Like some of the backstory...do we really need to go to two maps first? Just keep it on the arcade game and weave it in there if you really need to create some elaborate story.

Also maybe shrink up the map a bit.

I gave you a tip & an extra star just because I think this could be pretty cool with some tightening up.

Hmm, interesting. My quest is more straight forward than most. It seems pretty standard to have a few maps of setup. I suppose I could edit out the exterior of the castle, but to me it seems like an important part of establishing the flow of the journey. Kind of like an establishing shot in a movie. I feel like it would be weird to jump right from the tavern to the interior of the castle.
    The Pack Man
    NW-DE76NJPYV

• squareslugxsquareslugx Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice quest. I rated and reviewed. I would have liked to see a way to just keep killing the ghosts and have them respawn and leave the big area in the middle and wander off again lol. Maybe fog it up to have illusions play tricks on you as you try to find them. I'm not sure if setting up paths for them would be a nightmare though. It would at least get rid of the random enemies that don't fit. Then at the end have a big battle against all four to finish them off for good. Then after that, the usual ending (tweaked a bit I'm sure) you had. Well ... just some thoughts.

Would appreciate if you played any one of my quests in the sig, whichever sounds more interesting. First one pertains to the souls of the dead and breaking the curse. The second one is the beginning of a sea adventure, mainly a setup for things to come.
    Check out my first Foundry Quest - Remnants of a Mad Wizard (Short Code): nw-dbfw3znul
    Check out my second Foundry Quest - Dreaming of a Sea Adventure (Short Code): nw-debgs4mnr
    edited May 2013
    Nice quest. I rated and reviewed. I would have liked to see a way to just keep killing the ghosts and have them respawn and leave the big area in the middle and wander off again lol. Maybe fog it up to have illusions play tricks on you as you try to find them. I'm not sure if setting up paths for them would be a nightmare though. It would at least get rid of the random enemies that don't fit. Then at the end have a big battle against all four to finish them off for good. Then after that, the usual ending (tweaked a bit I'm sure) you had. Well ... just some thoughts.

Would appreciate if you played any one of my quests in the sig, whichever sounds more interesting. First one pertains to the souls of the dead and breaking the curse. The second one is the beginning of a sea adventure, mainly a setup for things to come.

I just played Remnants of Mad Wizard and I have to say Wow! I love the dark mood you are able to set. I gave ti 5 stars and a tip. I think the only thing to improve would be to make the combat encounters themselves tie more into the main quest. they seemed kind of random and only tied loosely to the common theme of "avenging the fallen."
    The Pack Man
    NW-DE76NJPYV

• pavvopavvo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Love the quest! Especially the AAA bit, I LOLed!

Appreciate a review in return if you have the time

Campaign Name: The Tale of the 3 Suns
    Campaign short code: NWS-DA9XX8WIV
    Quest Short code: NW-DFEKZANXF
    Quest Name: 3 Suns Aligned
    Author: @pavvo
    Est. Time: 19min Solo mode. Can be duoed.
    Url: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?256451-3-Suns-Aligned-Part-1-of-the-Amulet-of-the-Suns-campaign

Campaign Name:The Legend of Khyber
    Campaign short code: NWS-DK33EIYMY
    Short Code: NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    Name: Holy Symbol of Khyber
    Est Time: 15 min solo. Can be duoed
    Url: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?256431-Holy-Symbol-of-Khyber-A-short-quest
    The Tale of the 3 Suns - NWS-DA9XX8WIV
    #1: 3 Suns Aligned NW-DFEKZANXF
    #2: The Amulet of the Shining Sun NW-DRKKGUI26
    #2 has choices that give a high amount of replayability

The Legend of Khyber - NWS-DK33EIYMY
    #1: The Holy Symbol of Khyber NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    #2: The Gauntlets of Khyber NW-DN0006FAZ
    Heavy combat/light story
    edited May 2013
    pavvo wrote: »
    Love the quest! Especially the AAA bit, I LOLed!

Appreciate a review in return if you have the time

Campaign Name: The Tale of the 3 Suns
    Campaign short code: NWS-DA9XX8WIV
    Quest Short code: NW-DFEKZANXF
    Quest Name: 3 Suns Aligned
    Est. Time: 19min Solo mode. Can be duoed.
    Url: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?256451-3-Suns-Aligned-Part-1-of-the-Amulet-of-the-Suns-campaign

Campaign Name:The Legend of Khyber
    Campaign short code: NWS-DK33EIYMY
    Short Code: NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    Name: Holy Symbol of Khyber
    Est Time: 15 min solo. Can be duoed
    Url: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?256431-Holy-Symbol-of-Khyber-A-short-quest

Thanks! I will review yours today.
    The Pack Man
    NW-DE76NJPYV

edited May 2013
    Updated my quest based on more feedback. Among the changes: the ghosts will now respawn from the center room and roam the halls after their initial defeat. Just like good Pacman ghosts should!
    The Pack Man
    NW-DE76NJPYV

edited May 2013
    zefrimex wrote: »
    Thanks! I will review yours today.

The rating screen bugged out on me and so I missed rating it, but I played your Tale of the 3 Suns quest. I will post details on that thread.
    The Pack Man
    NW-DE76NJPYV

• mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This one was too hard for me, sorry. I tried for over an hour, but I couldn't get past the guards in the top right (Pink one I think). Got the other three okay, but died many times when the 3 ghosts found me. They could kill me before I could bring one of them down.

I'm a 59 TR, with mediocre (green) gear. I might try again with a friend, or once I get some blue or purple gear.

I like the idea of the quest, and I thought starting it by putting a coin in the fountain was pretty funny. I was expecting something a little more casual though, so I didn't have enough pots and healing kits.

The only typo I noticed was in the Pack Man dialogue, where he said "it's unique" instead of "its unique".

How did you do the vanishing yellow orbs? I know the ghost orb will vanish, but I have not seen a yellow one do that.

Also - you might want to add a bit more light. Once all the orbs are gone, it's hard to get away in the dark when the ghosts are after you. :)
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • fallensbanefallensbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I am gearing up to run through this on my CW, my quest is in my siggy :)

EDIT: Played it, was very funny would run it again. AAA lol
  • mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Went back in (with a 55 CW friend), and we finished it. Very fun! Lots of amusing parts. I gave it 5 stars - it's different and creative.

I do think the stacked encounter (the Pink Ghost guards) should be toned down a bit. The final fight against the Pack Man and his minions was also quite hard (whatever those mobs are, they sure do a lot of damage!). The patrolling ghosts are not bad, as long as you kill them before they can gang up on you :)
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4