test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

All the "hacked" account people

professorzprofessorz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello all.

This is to anyone in the process of getting your account back from whomever has taken it.

There has been a huge amount of accounts that have been compromised within the last two weeks.
Mine included.

What seems to happen is all of a sudden the account email is changed on the account.
Then the password is changed. This all sends the confirmation of the changing of your email and password to be sent to the new email that it was changed to.

This person now has total control over the account.
Logs in and possibly kicks off whoever is playing said account.
The "hacker" then runs directly to the auction house selling whatever zen you had on your account for astral diamonds at whatever the price is at the time on the astral diamond exchange.
They then get to the auction house and purchase some type of insignia auction posted by there "Mule" account.
The price is so outrageous for the insignias that no sane person would possibly buy this auction.
Which makes for easy astral diamond exchange between characters.
Then they go to the mail box and check for any incoming mail which contains diamonds or the auctions they bought in an "attempt" to cover there tracks not allowing you to see the name of the person they bought the auction from.

I have been able to deduce this said path they take by my guildmates tracking the persons moves.
(i was kicked while doing a dungeon with them, they followed him everywhere till he logged off)

I have got my account back now after a lengthly process through support..
Upon logging in to find my zen and diamonds gone i instantly replied to the support email i had been talking to them with to get my account back. Giving them the details of my missing zen and diamonds.

No reply.

so the TL:DR You will get your accounts backs in due time. You will more than likely have no zen or diamonds. your celestial coins are gone.

Sitting tight again on support........

PS. Dont let this thread turn into a "why we were hack or what to do to not be hacked".
This post is to inform of anyone who has been hacked about the process to get your account back.
Post edited by professorz on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That really sucks if that's their support on getting hacked, you should get all your stuff back.
  • Options
    gibby87gibby87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If nothing happens, and since real currency is on the line I'm pretty sure you can file a lawsuit for this. Something a lot of people most likely will if the ad and zen isn't restored.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just cause there was no reply doesn't mean anything. they are still dealing with tickets and they will get back to you.
  • Options
    gibby87gibby87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, as you might have noticed if you had read the op, he got a response, and he got his account back. No sign of the AD and Zen.
  • Options
    darkwars1990darkwars1990 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    That really sucks if that's their support on getting hacked, you should get all your stuff back.

pwe anti hack support sucks *** your lucky if u even get your acc back let alone haveing any items on your acc which the company dealets most said items on a acc when its been reported as hacked
    gibby87 wrote: »
    If nothing happens, and since real currency is on the line I'm pretty sure you can file a lawsuit for this. Something a lot of people most likely will if the ad and zen isn't restored.

as for fileing a lawsuit u cant do it because its the leagal right of the company 2 do anything they see fit with your acc since its a f2p game which technical only means u are renting a char any money u spend 2 better yourself or your char is a complete loss if u lose are hacked or acc share and u lose said stuff

how do i know this lawsuit thing because i have looked into it any u cant get any where on a f2p game with it its completly dif if u are paying a monthy subsription most time but that being said look at your terms of agreement with games because it will tell u who holds the ownership of your char and your acc
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I just really do wonder how all that people "suddenly" get hacked and if it could have anything to do with gold sellers who work exactly that way, but they don't really just hack whatever they can, in most cases players get fished and give themselves their acc details.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, as you might have noticed if you had read the op, he got a response, and he got his account back. No sign of the AD and Zen.

Do you think I am blind. I read the whole post. Yes I saw he got his account back but because he has replied about missing stuff he has to wait for them to respond again.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Do you think I am blind. I read the whole post. Yes I saw he got his account back but because he has replied about missing stuff he has to wait for them to respond again.

Getting your account hacked and losing your stuff kinda... goes hand in hand. In any other mmo they FULLY resolve your issue at once, which is why I highly doubt (but still hope) that the currency will get returned.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    And I just really do wonder how all that people "suddenly" get hacked and if it could have anything to do with gold sellers who work exactly that way, but they don't really just hack whatever they can, in most cases players get fished and give themselves their acc details.

I have scanned for trojans and everything like that, nothing. I have a different password for nw from any other application and I have never typed it in anywhere other than on this website and in the launcher.
  • Options
    badatmathbadatmath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please keep us posted if you get all your belongings returned.

Be aware that in other games, players sometimes did this and logged in through a proxy on mule accounts to see if they could dupe their Zen so to speak.
    Not saying you are or did, just saying if they don't return it, this might be why.

Still im interested to see how they handle this.
  • Options
    watever2watever2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have scanned for trojans and everything like that, nothing. I have a different password for nw from any other application and I have never typed it in anywhere other than on this website and in the launcher.
    You should NEVER type your password anywhere. Put it on a notepad file and copy and paste it. You probably need to do some more vigorous security scans. Have you checked for malware? Done any registry scans? The only way someone could steal your info is if you have been lax in your pc security. I'm sorry you lost your stuff though.
  • Options
    mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    pwe anti hack support sucks *** your lucky if u even get your acc back let alone haveing any items on your acc which the company dealets most said items on a acc when its been reported as hacked

as for fileing a lawsuit u cant do it because its the leagal right of the company 2 do anything they see fit with your acc since its a f2p game which technical only means u are renting a char any money u spend 2 better yourself or your char is a complete loss if u lose are hacked or acc share and u lose said stuff

how do i know this lawsuit thing because i have looked into it any u cant get any where on a f2p game with it its completly dif if u are paying a monthy subsription most time but that being said look at your terms of agreement with games because it will tell u who holds the ownership of your char and your acc
    And on that not when playing in closed beta or alpha or even open beta for the first time, you click accept on the terms and use when starting a fresh game with a fresh account. And if you read it like I did you would see that by clicking accept, that you can not sue nor are they responsable for any loss due to outside sources.

Just throwing that in there.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    watever2 wrote: »
    You should NEVER type your password anywhere. Put it on a notepad file and copy and paste it. You probably need to do some more vigorous security scans. Have you checked for malware? Done any registry scans? The only way someone could steal your info is if you have been lax in your pc security. I'm sorry you lost your stuff though.

Yeah, I have done scans of registry and my antivirus went through an extensive scan over night, found nothing at all. Thanks for your suggestion about the notepad, though I'm quite uneasy with having passwords written down.
  • Options
    watever2watever2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I have done scans of registry and my antivirus went through an extensive scan over night, found nothing at all. Thanks for your suggestion about the notepad, though I'm quite uneasy with having passwords written down.
    Antivirus programs won't find malware, you need to download an anti malware program. You were probably hacked by a key logger and if you continue to type your passwords you will be again. You should be more uneasy about typing personal info than copying and pasting while you have a key logger. If someone can get at a notepad file you have more serious issues than key loggers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Antivirus programs won't find malware, you need to download an anti malware program. You were probably hacked by a key logger and if you continue to type your passwords you will be again. You should be more uneasy about typing personal info than copying and pasting while you have a key logger. If someone can get at a notepad file you have more serious issues than key loggers.

I scanned with Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool (not sure if it's good enough), but yeah, nothing.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Doesn't need to be that. All it takes is fake login site, browsing gold selling sites and clicking links in fake emails from PW.
  • Options
    cierdwyncierdwyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My account was hacked last Saturday night. I went to the forums trying to get support to help, after I put a ticket in, but when I got the system message for the ticket, I couldn't see the ticket from the email.

I thought I would try to find out anything about how long it would be, or even just try to find out that it is actually in cue.

To be honest, I've never much liked Perfect World since the beginning to Perfect World Online. I went into the beta and there were a few big problems that happened so I put a ticket in, and I have never heard back about them. That ticket just disappeared years ago, so I had decided PW didn't like me, so I would not like them back. I have been a Cryptic gamer from back when City of Heroes was in Alpha, so I was hoping nothing would happen that i would need help.

Zeb saw my post in general chat, because a lot of people and I kept it up on the top. He changed things in the support cue for myself, and then a lot of other people to try to get our accounts back. I am very very grateful for Zeb.

I got an email on Monday at 11:55 PM telling me I got my account back and I could change my password. It told me that as soon as I did that, I should then reply to the message, and they would then unban my account. I checked my account email, then I changed my password, and then I replied to the email.

I am still waiting for any other word. I have replied a total of 16 times. I have called support from Tuesday through Friday 10 am-6PM Pacific and I have never been able to get a person at all. (actually, I think I sort of got someone 3 times. The phone automated messages stopped and the line when so quiet for 1 minute, then there was a few clicks, then I was disconnected)

Funny enough, they have also banned me from getting back into my account on their website, but again, I was already logged in from way back before I got hacked, and all the things I did to try to get it back. If I try to log in on a different web browser than the one I am using now, I get amessage that I am banned from doing anything with my account. I also get that with Neverwinter, Champions Online, Gateway, or Cryptics special account password double system.

I had no friends in game, so I am just assuming all my stuff (from Founders) is long gone. I hadn't used any of Astral or Zen that was on my account, so...I dunno what to do now.
  • Options
    cierdwyncierdwyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Actually, this is why Perfect World is bad.

I have been in IT for longer than 20 years, and I have been a cleaner for 10. There was not even a whiff of anything on my computer. I don't read any email that looks like it is an ad, or anything that looks odd. The only sites I ever use for any online game are from the actual company, and MMORPG.com. I don't even go to other guild sites.

However, I use the same account name. I then use one of 104 passwords I have, using different numbers and special characters and uppercase to create a new password regularly.

My account name "shows up" in a lot of games, so people have wanted to get into my accounts for years, but the security must other companies have in place, with my password system, and my security on my PC has meant they have never been able to take my accounts from me up until this.

PW does not have any security for using an Account and other passwords on their website. If you try your password on either Champions, or Neverwinter on the GAME, after try 10, you can't try it again for 1 hour. That is Cryptic. PW website, you can try brute force passwords for DAYS.

As near as I can tell, the guy that did this to me, and the OP, used a brute force app to get in to a lot of accounts. Specifically, in 4-5 accounts at a time.
  • Options
    professorzprofessorz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speculation on to how we were hacked is not what this post was about.
    We can sit here all week and point the finger as to what happened.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Rift, Diablo III are two recent games that had "hacked" accounts in the beginning. Everyone blamed the users.

Seems like we can add NWO to the list.

To those that have had their accounts compromised and returned and you have verified that you have no keylogger or virus...change your password. That is the best you can do and that is all it should take.
  • Options
    mast1catormast1cator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Had my ticket open for 14 hours now but no reply so far. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some weaknesses in the launcher or the website that leaked the passwords since the password I used in Neverwinter is unique and I don't use it in other games. Also I've done several scans with different programs and found no malicious software. When I eventually get my account back and if I've lost all the zen and crystals I had and I don't get those back I'm done with PW and Cryptic for good.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mast1cator wrote: »
    Had my ticket open for 14 hours now but no reply so far. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some weaknesses in the launcher or the website that leaked the passwords since the password I used in Neverwinter is unique and I don't use it in other games. Also I've done several scans with different programs and found no malicious software. When I eventually get my account back and if I've lost all the zen and crystals I had and I don't get those back I'm done with PW and Cryptic for good.

Like i said. im still in queue for a reply about the diamonds and zen.
    I will update the post as i progress..
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Just cause there was no reply doesn't mean anything. they are still dealing with tickets and they will get back to you.

That is true, but then again.... how do you know? If we ok that as customer service for '13, we get what we deserve. I say, always give them respectable amount of time (24 hours) to keep you updated/answer. If they were to say 72 hours to do something, give them that +24. If we don't hold them to some type of standard it will just dwindle to nothing. We can't help it they don't sustain proper support, that isn't our bad.

If business had there way there wouldn't be such a thing known as support and this is why there are regulations in place, they complain about them, they have no problem taking in money but hate paying it out, that is all part of biz my friends. Without regulations they will simply run right over customers and rights. Proven over and over with death even as it's stamp, but we still get swayed into thinking all gov't is bad. Laws are the only thing that gives and protects rights and at the end of the day, that is almost everything and that is what we fought over, not off-shore accounts. Just reminding you, that we do have to be squeaky from time to time, it's just how business works.
  • Options
    krayzeeonekrayzeeone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013
    professorz wrote: »
    Hello all.

This is to anyone in the process of getting your account back from whomever has taken it.

There has been a huge amount of accounts that have been compromised within the last two weeks.
    Mine included.

What seems to happen is all of a sudden the account email is changed on the account.
    Then the password is changed. This all sends the confirmation of the changing of your email and password to be sent to the new email that it was changed to.

This person now has total control over the account.
    Logs in and possibly kicks off whoever is playing said account.
    The "hacker" then runs directly to the auction house selling whatever zen you had on your account for astral diamonds at whatever the price is at the time on the astral diamond exchange.
    They then get to the auction house and purchase some type of insignia auction posted by there "Mule" account.
    The price is so outrageous for the insignias that no sane person would possibly buy this auction.
    Which makes for easy astral diamond exchange between characters.
    Then they go to the mail box and check for any incoming mail which contains diamonds or the auctions they bought in an "attempt" to cover there tracks not allowing you to see the name of the person they bought the auction from.

I have been able to deduce this said path they take by my guildmates tracking the persons moves.
    (i was kicked while doing a dungeon with them, they followed him everywhere till he logged off)

I have got my account back now after a lengthly process through support..
    Upon logging in to find my zen and diamonds gone i instantly replied to the support email i had been talking to them with to get my account back. Giving them the details of my missing zen and diamonds.

No reply.

so the TL:DR You will get your accounts backs in due time. You will more than likely have no zen or diamonds. your celestial coins are gone.

Sitting tight again on support........

PS. Dont let this thread turn into a "why we were hack or what to do to not be hacked".
    This post is to inform of anyone who has been hacked about the process to get your account back.

On day 5 here and not a single word from PWE/Cryptic. I'm not holding out hope. Sad thing is that this is likely going to kill this game.
  • Options
    nakkychannakkychan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What seems weird to me is that they can just change the email the account is bound to without any notice what so ever. Whenever the email gets changed, send a confirmation email to the mail address currently bound to the account asking whether or not the actual owner approves of this change.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I checked for this and there's no keylogger. Don't just assume it's the user that's at fault here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nakkychan wrote: »
    What seems weird to me is that they can just change the email the account is bound to without any notice what so ever. Whenever the email gets changed, send a confirmation email to the mail address currently bound to the account asking whether or not the actual owner approves of this change.

Yeah this is a major security flaw.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nakkychan wrote: »

if you read my whole post you would see that i stated the confirmation email is sent to the NEW email.
    this is one of the flaws in the current system.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wow. could a mod just ban that guy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    professorz wrote: »
    if you read my whole post you would see that i stated the confirmation email is sent to the NEW email.
    this is one of the flaws in the current system.

You're both right. It IS sent to the new email address, but his point is that they should require the existing account owner to verify as well. The only time this doesn't work is when someone has lost access to their email account but that's the minority of cases I'm sure.
This discussion has been closed.