test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Respecs should be free

Comments

• lymprechtlymprecht Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    anashim wrote: »
    LOL. I even consider the bags a legitimate realmoney value. Bags determine the number of items a hero can have at one time. While having access to many bags is definitely nice - and worth spending money on - strictly speaking, it isnt necessary "2 Win". I feel comfortable with spending money on bags.

... At the same time, I am kicking myself for somehow missing the opportunity to get a free bag from one of the quests, Close to the Crown. Im sure I even went on that quest, but for whatever reason, I missed it. Now my hero is too high a level to take it again. Oh well. My loss, but I still think it is "fair".

I wouldn't mind spending 200z on a bag, especially for the sizes available. 200z for a tiny 12 slot bag sounds reasonable. That's currently about 75k AD.
  • uristqwertyuristqwerty Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    It has been mentioned elsewhere, but you can still take the quests by talking to the NPCs involved. However, you won't get an indicator on your map about where that NPC is once you are past some maximum level.
  • battlechantbattlechant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    I disagree with the OP, this should not be free.

I would not want to spend RL$ if not needed.

But at least a Quest line or perhaps resources we can collect to do a respect. If not already available, that would be cool.
    BattleChant
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think I just convinced myself to buy a "Bag of Holes" from the Auction House. Even the bargains seem to go for somewhere between 1500 to 2000 Astral Diamonds. At low level this price is prohibitive, but at Level 30ish, it is reasonable.
  • battlechantbattlechant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    I think I just convinced myself to buy a "Holey Bag" from the Auction House. Even the bargains seem to go for somewhere between 1500 to 2000 Astral Diamonds. At low level this price is prohibitive, but at Level 30ish, it is reasonable.

I have to ask .... How does this pertain to this topic?
    BattleChant
    edited May 2013
    I have to ask .... How does this pertain to this topic?
    The topic requires a discussion of what is legitimate for a "Free-2-Play" game to charge reallife money for, versus what seems ultimately better to be free.

The bag is an example of something on the cusp. A lot players pay realmoney for a bag, and it seems fair. At the same time, there are some reasonable workarounds for enterprising Free-2-Players to get a hold of a bag.

The extra bag might be a good example of a threshold between a basic need and a legitimate expense.

At L30, I feel a need for an extra bag. I regret missing the opportunity for a free bag. The Auction House is "fair" at this point for a basic bag. But the bottom line is, if I spend reallife money to get a bag - certainly to get an excellent magical bag - I wont regret the expense.

In sum:

- Respecification is something that shouldnt cost reallife money - but should cost reallife effort - in the context of a narrative that makes sense.

- The bag is a good example of something in between necessary versus luxurious. It isnt necessary "2 win" but is worth spending money on. At the same time, there are reasonable ways to get a free bag to meet need.

- The mount is a good example of something that is definitely unnecessary "2 win" but is definitely necessary to spend money on.
    edited May 2013
    Anyway, respecs need to be free.
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not free but it shouldn't cost real money - how about charging GOLD there is so little you can use it for anyway.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • necrodaggernecrodagger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say at least first respec should be free, and maybe also one free respec a month
    edited May 2013
    Heh, talk about the need to respec ...

I just realized now you can only have two "Class Features" at any one time. So, I literally have invested 9 points while leveling for features that I have (without realizing it) NEVER USED.

Cry.
    edited May 2013
    If you could respec for free today, what would you change?
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've always liked Dual Spec and Multi-Spec systems, where switching specs is as easy as hitting a button while not in combat. It baffles me why game companies feel the need to charge anything for respecs, much less offer the feature as a microtransaction.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Certain feats arent even working/working as described

I have litteraly put some points in paragon feats that are unused atm, and know i now why they are unused, they do nothing il repeat NOTHING at all. i wouldent mind if they were gimped feats at best, but a mechanical flaw that leaves the feat doing nothing, and not refunding it,patching it....seriuesly?

Try the clerics paragon feat "second sight" should heal when PoD deals damage, instead u invest 5 points for nothing, what a joy...
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • pwiratgirlpwiratgirl Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you could respec for free today, what would you change?

On my guardian fighter I'd take all the points out of the +threat talents, since most of them don't work, and put them into +dps and +defense talents, because if I can't tank properly, I'd at least be able to kill stuff more efficiently. And I don't particularly want to start over AGAIN (this would be a third time, if I did).
    edited May 2013
    Besides all the useless "extra" Class Features, I find Storm Fury seems to do nothing. I dont see any difference between it being active or not. Swarms never die from it, or anything.
  • skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I bought 2 respecs on my DC and don't regret it. One of them was literally to change one point, I messed up I should pay $6 is not that much everyone acts like they are asking for $20 everytime to respect. I should not I have deleted my cleric as well and still don't regret that $12.

Now of course if they add a different paragon path besides the current one then yes they should give everyone 1 free respec in case they want to try the other path but other than that you want to change something you should have to pay for it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • teseratorteserator Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really you need a setup for solo, one for group. And another for PVP. There should be something to be able to switch
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hi guys!

a lot of people have been fighting for the addition of race changes and the inclusion of re-rolling ability rolls in respec tokens in this thread -> http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?248972-Include-Ability-Score-Rolling-When-Using-Respec-Tokens

please help us if you also feel that these should be included in-game. We feel that our current inability to rework the ability score rolls and change races contradicts the whole idea of respeccing, we can't fully commit to a new build if our stats and race bonuses are still focused on our previous build. Please support us, bookmark us and keep the bumps up so our devs may notice :)
    edited May 2013
    I bought 2 respecs on my DC and don't regret it. One of them was literally to change one point, I messed up I should pay $6 is not that much everyone acts like they are asking for $20 everytime to respect. I should not I have deleted my cleric as well and still don't regret that $12.

Now of course if they add a different paragon path besides the current one then yes they should give everyone 1 free respec in case they want to try the other path but other than that you want to change something you should have to pay for it

Except there are cases where powers and feats just aren't working properly. On my guardian fighter, for instance, the feats and powers that generate +threat aren't functioning. Should I have to pay $6 to fix a problem that THEY caused? I'd rather put those points into something else until they get around to fixing it. THEN, at that point, I MIGHT consider switching back. But to expect people to pay cash to fix problems that are caused by faulty code on their end is ridiculous.
  • craftchest72craftchest72 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I kind of agree with the this to a certain extent but I do have an overall comment. During beta whether open or closed the respect should be provided to a certain extent. Let's say up to five times or what ever. Six dollars a pop if you didn't buy a founders pack.(1)
    But respec-ing is not a new concept to mmo's and to be fair I have seen them be forty dollars so six dollars isn't bad. BUT, not during beta. At release fine you have had time to test builds and learn the game. This goes for the Devs as well mind you, you are learning the players as well as the game and how to balance it, them, what ever.
    But at full release NO it should not be free or even cheap. Stop being lazy and research the build that is right for your team comp period the end.

Thanks and have a great day :D
    CC
    edited May 2013
    But at full release NO it should not be free or even cheap. Stop being lazy and research the build that is right for your team comp period the end.

This is such a bizarre attitude. "Yes, new players should have to scour the forums and go through spreadsheets to figure out what the best setups are, or they'll have to pay money! Hah!"

There's nothing "lazy" about it. Just about every game out there provides at least one free respec to allow people to correct problems with their build, or try something different after setting themselves up, if they discover it doesn't work as well as they wanted.

And considering how fast the AD costs for respeccing ramp up (20k at 28th, almost 45k at 36th), you'd have to dedicate some time to farming if you want to correct things, which can turn off new players.
  • craftchest72craftchest72 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes and if you quote my entire post your reply is exactly what I said. I even stated that maybe up to five respecs to learn the game. After full release its all on you for not either learning how to play or just LAZY. My post was agreeing with you and giving an opinion at the same time not bashing gawwww
  • kaelspriestkaelspriest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ratrail wrote: »
    Well take that money that you didn't spend on the game and/or don't spend on a monthly subscription, and that should give you plenty of funds to play around with respecs. As much as we all enjoy it, everything can't be free.
    ...not even close. I'd want to respec probably 50+ times in the first week after I hit 60 in order to try different builds, see what everything does, test how modifiers are applied, test the marginal gain from subsequent points in each power/feat, and test that all the powers and feats are working correctly (you know, that thing beta testers are supposed to be doing?)

So we're talking on the order of $300+ just for me to test the game properly, not counting any changes I might want to make when I'm actually playing the game. Just to beta test properly, I'd have to pay the equivalent of a $60 box and 16 months of subscription fees. Not cool.
    edited May 2013
    Yes and if you quote my entire post your reply is exactly what I said. I even stated that maybe up to five respecs to learn the game. After full release its all on you for not either learning how to play or just LAZY. My post was agreeing with you and giving an opinion at the same time not bashing gawwww

I'm not talking about beta. I'm talking about someone picking the game up, say, in a month or two. After it's gone to "launch" as opposed to "open beta", which is exactly why I quoted that part -- where you said "after launch". Do you still think a brand new player would be "lazy" for not delving through forums, researching tons of different builds, and working out a spreadsheet for all of their abilities before spending any points? That's not how most people play games.

Don't assume someone is "lazy" just because they weren't in the beta.

When almost EVERY other game offers at least one free respec for every character, and this game decides not to in favor of monetizing it in the cash shop, that just seems wrong.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why stop at charging for respecs? Why not charge for using abilities? PWE's gotta eat right?
    /sarcasm

Respec is a core fundamental part of choosing a class in a game that's not released yet with a system that has exploits and needs tweaking. You shouldn't be able to do it every day, but you should be able to do it in game without the use of Zen.

The white knights on this issue are just wrong. That simple.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, let us pretend for a minute.

Pretend Cryptic decides to "balance" skills and feats a bit more than they already are, or perhaps even some day fix the way threat is generated.

Let's pretend the threat thing. This would make a lot of Guardian Fighters perhaps reconsider their roles in teams and combats and open up another whole aspect of the archetype to play.

In said pretend case, Cryptic should in fact, give out free respecs simply because they've changed some part of a character class's feats/skills/powersets.

It wouldn't really be good form to change certain aspects of a character's build entirely and then CHARGE them to "fix" their builds to be in line with the new changes, now would it?

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Well, let us pretend for a minute.

Pretend Cryptic decides to "balance" skills and feats a bit more than they already are, or perhaps even some day fix the way threat is generated.

Let's pretend the threat thing. This would make a lot of Guardian Fighters perhaps reconsider their roles in teams and combats and open up another whole aspect of the archetype to play.

In said pretend case, Cryptic should in fact, give out free respecs simply because they've changed some part of a character class's feats/skills/powersets.

It wouldn't really be good form to change certain aspects of a character's build entirely and then CHARGE them to "fix" their builds to be in line with the new changes, now would it?

Got an example for you that actually will happen. What are they going to do when they implement more paragon paths for the classes? Will the white knights still think people should have to pay Zen for a respec? Or should they role a new character or make a new account or just quit? Which is what everyone is doing right now anyways. Arguing for a zen respec option only is just stupid. It makes no sense and doesn't help the game. If anything, it hurts it. You would think fanboys would be for other options to do a respec.
  • protocol87protocol87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    bump for free, proper guides weren't offered by the game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Loki < The Illuminati > 60 - Control Wizard
    Protocol 60 - Great Weapon Fighter
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shouldnt be free at all if you dont want to pay just delete and start a fresh
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013

But it's not "lazy". Some people just like to experiment with their own builds and shouldn't be penalized for it. If the game had expensive respecs (I'm not saying it's expensive, I'm just speaking hypothetically) then that pretty much forces you into picking the "right" min/max build that everyone else is using. It's boring and sort of defeats the entire purpose of allowing you to assign points and make your character an individual in the first place. The game should award experimentation.