test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This is driving me crazy, and I need to say it.

2»

Comments

• stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    "Soft launches are incredibly confusing to old school gamers who are used to a certain kind of testing and release cycle, the uncomplicated kind that involves, you know, some testing and a release"

That about sums it up.

I really feel sorry for these new gamers that feel this "new norm" is acceptable. You've only accepted their drivel and lowed the bar on yourselves.
  • mythrid101mythrid101 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the OP is new to mmos. Anyone who has been playing for a while can see this for what it is. Just read opinions on any mmo writer that's been doing it for a while and they'll tell you... this is a release. Betas are for testing... there would be a wipe after a beta because of issues like what we've seen already.
  • arrowmaticarrowmatic Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game is not in a testing phase that will end with a reset. There will be no more resets/wipes. The cash shop is online and purchases will not be credited to your account or refunded at some later date.

Saying "it's not done yet" is not solid criteria for legitimately calling it a beta, unless you also believe that every MMO that ever existed was in beta from the moment it launched to the moment it received its last patch and/or went offline.

This game is as live as it ever will be. Launching a f2p micro-transaction game and calling it "beta" is simply a marketing trick employed by people who make such games. It's a good trick, obviously, because people fall for it. But make no mistake, this game is as live as it ever will be.
  • sanctifieddevilsanctifieddevil Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would be more likely to consider it a Beta if there was a character wipe on release..
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If it isn't launch, why did they do the head-start for the Founders? Huh? HUH?

This is what drives me crazy:
    Being in a group and you go to pick up loot and then it asks if you want to interact with a team-member because they are very close to the loot and picks them instead. FOR THE LOVE OF ANYTHING HOLY. Make it two separate keys, one to interact with loot/objects and another to interact with players for trading etc. I know this won't happen because that is how life goes, but I dream of craftsmanship.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syrum wrote: »
    I don't care what they are calling it. Fact is, if they have a cash shop open, we are beyond the "founder" or "pre-order" beta phase of the game. Of course, this IS just MY opinion on the matter. I honestly feel this is a launch. If they called it a head-start, I'd feel a bit better about it.
    arrowmatic wrote: »
    This game is not in a testing phase that will end with a reset. There will be no more resets/wipes. The cash shop is online and purchases will not be credited to your account or refunded at some later date.

Saying "it's not done yet" is not solid criteria for legitimately calling it a beta, unless you also believe that every MMO that ever existed was in beta from the moment it launched to the moment it received its last patch and/or went offline.

This game is as live as it ever will be. Launching a f2p micro-transaction game and calling it "beta" is simply a marketing trick employed by people who make such games. It's a good trick, obviously, because people fall for it. But make no mistake, this game is as live as it ever will be.

So, what do you call it when the cash shop is available in closed beta? Closed launch?
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sers1 wrote: »
    Soft launch - the release of a product or service to a limited audience. Soft-launching is a method for gathering data on a product's usage and acceptance in the marketplace, before making it generally available as a hard launch or grand opening. Companies may choose a soft launch to test the viability of a product or to fine tune a product before implementing a larger marketing effort.
    sers1 wrote: »
    i'm just going by the wikipedia definition of it - shaky, i know, but in situations like this at least somewhat viable. It is what it is, but considering the precedent set by other games that have had "extended open betas", I doubt any number of definitions are going to convince one side to relent and give up their views on this game - good or bad.

Also lets be honest - Open Beta, Soft Launch, what ever - once a game reaches even the later stage of closed beta the main systems are pretty much set, so aside from bugs (which will always exist, especially in a cryptic title - and i say that with all the fondness of someone that loyally played Champions from launch pretty much until the release of vehicles), the game is pretty much done.

So they made it available to anyone that wanted to play, but it's a limited distribution? Isn't it funny that you conveniently overlooked that part of your definition to maintain viability on your position?
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • errornametaken69errornametaken69 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    [rant]
    *snip*

If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, sound like a duck and taste like a duck then we call it a duck. Even if they try to sell it as a camel. Stop acting like a drone.
  • stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    psst... OP, you've got something sticking out of your mouth.. looks like a hook. Wait! I think I see some line and a sinker too! Might want to get that looked at.
  • kejser91kejser91 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    lets hope they dont fail like blizzard

they are really greedy with the zen prices
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kejser91 wrote: »
    lets hope they dont fail like blizzard

I'd love to 'fail' like Blizzard.
  • vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    Why is this even a debate?!? Its mind blowing how much ranting this has brought up. Lead Designer stated its in Open Beta, the homepage says its in Open Beta, the main Forum Mod just said yesterday they are close to "Launch"... we are in Open Beta.

Are you blind or stupid? I just posted a picture that says it's Live.
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    Why is this even a debate?!? Its mind blowing how much ranting this has brought up. Lead Designer stated its in Open Beta, the homepage says its in Open Beta, the main Forum Mod just said yesterday they are close to "Launch"... we are in Open Beta.

Check their homepage again. Head to perfectworld.com and look right on the homepage. Neverwinter is listed as Live not Open Beta (which is what the screenshot in post 21 shows). So you are right, why is this even a debate? Even the homepage says it is live and not open beta.

Beta ends when the wipes are over and the money collecting begins. If this game were still going to wipe or were not yet collecting money there would be room for debate, but as it stands now the game has clearly launched in typical F2P style.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Member Posts: 2,617 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OH, cool. So in betas when they find game halting bugs, they wipe all the characters after they fix it, so the issues created don't go live.

So can we get that wipe now?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine