test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TAB not a fun button for Guardian Fighters.

kerch80kerch80 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
All threat issues people are having aside, one complaint I have about the GF class involves the mark button. I've played CW and GWF so far, in addition to GF, and the abilities they have bound to that key are much more interesting and fun. I haven't played a Cleric or Rogue yet, but I understand that is where stealth and channel divinity are bound for those classes (fun and useful buttons).

I often feel like I'm playing a class with one less keybinding, since I almost never use the ability. Marking a target, on its own, doesn't seem to do much. And I'd much rather use Enforced Threat or Threatening Rush to apply my marks. I use Enhanced Mark as a class feature, so I care about marking my target and building threat from there. I find that using the Tab button is clunky and slow, preventing me from using my more useful attacks while I apply a single target ineffective debuff.

I'm not sure if there are any small tweaks that can save this button for me, it kinda feels like it needs a complete overhaul. Just have tab do something else entirely, and leaving marking enemies as a function of our attacks. 4th Edition fighters passively apply their mark by attacking anyways. It was the other Defenders that used an action to apply marks on enemies.
Post edited by kerch80 on

Comments

• royceerockroyceerock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My problem is the amount of time it stays on the target i can hit it and within a second its gone WTF. I have to keep reapplying it many time on one target, I feel the timer needs to be looked at. Its our main go to button yould think we have more that one second of use.
  • kerch80kerch80 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My understanding is that the mark only lasts until the target hits you. So you have to keep guarding his attacks, so that the target stays marked. It wouldn't be so bad, except the only two attacks you have while guarding are single target and kinda slow. Attempting to build threat on multiple marked targets is almost a complete waste of time.

I've given up on using the button altogether, and found my performance has increased. I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels this way, but maybe I'm missing something.
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To make your Mark stick to the target better, don't take health damage while you have a target marked. The mark lasts quite a while if you successfully evade or block everything thrown at you. This is why it's essential, for effective taunting of a boss, to keep all the spam off the tank. For minor groups Enforced Threat is not as "fragile" and lasts long enough.
    edited May 2013
    kerch80 wrote: »
    the only two attacks you have while guarding are single target and kinda slow.

There's nothing stopping you from using other abilities, you just have to do it between the target's attacks so you can safely put your shield down. Lunging Strike is a great one for that because you can back away during attacks and then zip back as soon as you get a window.
  • blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    To make your Mark stick to the target better, don't take health damage while you have a target marked. The mark lasts quite a while if you successfully evade or block everything thrown at you. This is why it's essential, for effective taunting of a boss, to keep all the spam off the tank. For minor groups Enforced Threat is not as "fragile" and lasts long enough.

This is true, it's pretty much what it takes to make it work.

I also agree, though, that it's just not a fun button, and frankly it doesn't work very well. On the doesn't work very well front, the other two mark delivery modes work better because they apply damage(read: threat) simultaneously. This is relevant even if their damage threat is contributed before the mark modifier that they give(I don't know which order the math is applied in). Even when "peeling" a single mob, I often find it more effective to use threatening rush or enforced threat, then follow it up with a griffon strike or other quick encounter hit before tossing up guard.

I'd much rather have Enforced Threat on my tab key--even better if that tossed it on a shorter cooldown, such as ten seconds. If given the choice as to what to use on that key, I'd virtually always have that there, opening up an encounter spot for something like frontline rush or a team oriented buff ability.

Even better yet would be to allow that slot to use an encounter ability in the same manner as the Control Wizard does----placing a skill in that slot gives it an additional ability, in the case of the Guardian Fighter this ability could almost universally be mark. Putting a charge style skill in that slot would help alleviate the need to carry Threatening Rush, for example. Putting an AE style ability may alleviate the need to carry Enforced Threat. Tying it to something like Anvil of Doom could allow it to be a truly useful single target threat attack, dropping a massive threatbomb on the target while simultaneously marking it to receive a real boost.
  • fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mark = Garbage

And that is not a troll, I am being dead serious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now that I've played more, I only use tab marking to initiate combat slightly faster. Threatening Rush is both much better and required. It's like tab, except I put it in another slot and lose a skill to have it. I don't always have room for Enforced Threat but make room when I'm trying to tank. You're right that there's nothing fun about GF tab. It's slow, barely does anything, and becomes irrelevant.

Micromanaging a tab mark means that I can't turn my back or take any damage from a boss. This isn't worth it, because I need to spend most of my time ignoring the boss and running after whatever is on the cleric magnet. Threatening Rush matches GF playstyle better, because I'm going from enemy to enemy, not stance dancing with one enemy at a time.

However, the lunge attack while holding guard isn't single attack. It has a small cone. If things line up correctly, you can stab several things at once, which is nice if you're guarding in slow-mo attack form. The animation looks like it would only hit one thing, but it's better than it looks. :)

Tab marking should be replaced by something better and at least a little fun. Maybe it would be too powerful to replace Mark with Enforced Threat, but I like the idea of pressing Tab to yell at things, maybe generate threat and either mark things nearby or surrounding the enemy I targeted with Tab. Perhaps Tab can be a downgraded version of Enforced Threat, and Enforced Threat can be upgraded to interrupt or slow nearby enemies.

There's also the problem that part of Tab's utility is threat generation, which means it is incredibly weak as a pvp skill. It seems like whatever it does, it should be useful to both PvE and PvP.
  • argan77argan77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tab should do high threat (extra) if the target is not already marked. We should even have an option to charge it up (hold down tab) for either extra threat or AE threat/mark for the start of a fight (AE mark if fully charged). Another option would be to have it put a 15s mark that doesn't go away when hit (should stay like the current mark if not taking damage from the target).
  • kerch80kerch80 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's also the problem that part of Tab's utility is threat generation, which means it is incredibly weak as a pvp skill. It seems like whatever it does, it should be useful to both PvE and PvP.

This is another issue with the ability. Every other class' Tab ability is useful in all aspects of play. Even if it worked, it has negligible usefulness in both solo play and pvp.

I think this boils down to two separate issues. First, marking alone isn't especially useful. It isn't a button I enjoy pushing, even when tanking. Second, the ability is almost solely designed for tanking (I know it applies a damage resistance debuff, but I find you're better off just doing damage). It's just not good in pvp or solo play. Even if the skill was totally awesome at what it did, it would still be poorly designed overall.

I'd rather see the button used as a mark punishment mechanic, maybe allowing fighters to deliver damage to marked targets that aren't focused on us. Seems more useful overall, and more in line with how 4th edition fighters actually work.
  • mitletmitlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mark overall seems a bit clunky to me as a "Class feature". To be able to get good threat on one TAB press, you need to dump 3 power points on enhanced mark and then take up one passive slot, only to have it disappear once you get hit.

I never even use it in PVP anymore, its almost impossible to keep it up and the only reason you would want it in PVP is the damage resistance shred which is about 5%-10% ish I think.
  • rahama2forumrahama2forum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    I agree. We need something fun. I never bloody use the tab....E V E R and heck I've been playing since beta weekend 3.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    wasn't this originally a D.O.T skill with enhanced threat generation?

Did they break it?

And that's one of the main reasons GF are in a bad way really, their control scheme is HORRIBLE!
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Trying to mark a boss or mob that teleports behind you = haha.

You can actually Mark and then be hit before managing to guard. Marking while tanking multiple mobs is also a pain in the *** since they will chew through your guard quickly and then you're unable to mark for an extended period of time.

No good reason for mark to go away when you get hit. None at all.

Change enhanced mark to grant 100% increase in personal DPS and maybe I will like that button :P
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • mahlataamahlataa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just think they should remove that skill , and put enforced thread on the tab button. That way , GF's will have some freedom in PvE and not be so useless (in the tanking role) . I just can't believe someone made that mark cast time so long ?!!?!? The only use i have for it is long range pulls. NOTHING ELSE !!
  • desmurgiadesmurgia Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 for long range pulls. But this is all. I leveled to 60 with my GF and used mark only during short window of level when I do not have threating rush but have mark. This is sum it up. All other classes have TAB with excellent class specific ability.

What GF have? Some useless mark... You even need to spend feat points +1 class feature to make at least something so small as 10% DR + extra threat from it. And still in boss fight / combat threating rush take care of mark much better. Damage + AOE mark...

If this TAB skill marks all targets in the area around fighter + generate some initial threat and w/o this ridiculos CD it will be worth at least something.

Or, as already suggested, allow us to put encounter there. This encounter now marks target + generate 2x threat - problem solved.
    edited May 2013
    To make it all better?

1.) Add the performance metrics of Enhanced Mark into basic mark, i.e. by default and without further investment, you get the doubled threat generation and automatically building threat. This is the only way Mark actually works. It's kind of crummy that Guardian currently needs to spend points just to make a basic class ability do what it's supposed to do.

2.) Mark is not cleared by being hit, only by:
    a.) dropping below 25% health.
    b.) time, divided among targets marked. That is, a single target mark might last a minute but marking half a dozen targets only lasts seconds.
    c.) being stunned or disabled

3.) Targets are Marked by using Stab on them, corresponding to the way this at-will's description says that it's a taunt.

4.) The Shield Talent class feature adds a large portion of Deflection value to Guard capacity when slotted. If you want people to draw tons of aggro, then they need to be able to survive it. Which means Guard needs to not be a lousy defense if players build for it. (Deflection, not Defense, because guardian gear already comes with gobs of Defense and it's not exactly a challenge to get high Defense)

5.) Change obsolete Enhanced Mark's class feature slot to "Enraged Weakness". This class feature further reduces the enemy's defense value when they are marked. Gives solo players, and players in teams that don't necessarily need a straight tank, something useful to contribute. Currently I can't even tell the difference in damage between marked/not-marked targets except with statistical analysis of combat logs.
  • waradimwaradim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    make the tab feature like the wizzies, slot a encouter there, and when used apply mark that cannot be removed under said condition in the post above, makes the tab button usefull and fun, instead of obsolete for half the time.
  • robyngatrobyngat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't even used the Mark ability, just hack at the monsters with my at-will and encounter powers.
  • slicerdiceroldslicerdicerold Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    I only use Tab at range to potentially split a group. Other then that it takes too long and is poor at building threat.