test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If Mad Dragon is any indication of things to come you can have it...

dogasidogasi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
A few groups later and many many potions, I don't like it. I struggled as a lvl 34 cleric with a solid group helping all they could but at the last 25% or so it just got stupid with the adds. Anyone else getting crushed there? Im sure I can level up and go back at 38 but what happens with the endgame?
It's hard for me to trust those who made it played it and said "thats great!" Maybe that dungeon isn't as intended. Are Higher level dungeons similar? same? worse?
Post edited by dogasi on

Comments

• l3uck3tl3uck3t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    Nope.. Kill the Magus first. Gets pretty easy.
    ReignesLegacy_zpsb47e1102.png
  • murpalmurpal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Worse...last 5 Dungeons I played at lvl 60 the groups quit after a few wipes, never getting the mob below 75%. Absolutely rediculous experience that costs a lot of coin in repairs. Not likely to enjoy this game much more.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    murpal wrote: »
    costs a lot of coin in repairs.

Um... your gear doesn't get worn, so...
  • vexedeamonvexedeamon Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Um... your gear doesn't get worn, so...

your injury kits cost gold, quite abit @ 60....
  • thefyfethefyfe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad I'm not the only one here who has been struggling. I normally only play dungeons during the events for the chests at the end. I have done the Mad Dragon dungeon about three times now without being able to get him below 50%. Most parties that form always have at least two players at level 30. I don't think the low level helps.

The spike in difficulty is insane. Even worse, it takes on average 30-45 minutes in queue to get inside, then another 30-45 minutes to get to the boss. I feel like that is too much time being wasted for a failed run.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mad Dragon is not for pugs. We did it with a guild group, one of each class, with voice coms. It was still tough, but doable. No all content should be faceroll. Coordination and teamwork are key, which is something I'm glad they kept from D&D
  • xcreepingxcreeping Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't wanna hear ****, ive spent two 30-40mins ques just to get qued into this dungeon with all dps + a tank and no healer. Why does it que groups into this dungeon without a healer?
  • megamanx7megamanx7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Mad Dragon is not for pugs. We did it with a guild group, one of each class, with voice coms. It was still tough, but doable. No all content should be faceroll. Coordination and teamwork are key, which is something I'm glad they kept from D&D

i managed to pass it with a pug so i think your kind of wrong about that its just not likely but still...possible
  • valeri0wnvaleri0wn Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is going to sound harsh and I'm sorry if anyone gets offended. Mad Dragon is hard(compared to most t1 instances) but perfectly doable with pugs if you are struggeling with it (majorly) and not just a little then it is a l2p issue. Either with them, the group as whole or you. I've killed Mad dragon a 2-3 times now with only 4 in the group because someone left or went afk. Not saying I'm good because I think think I'm not. I'm just saying that if they were to nerf this encounter it would just become way to easy.

Since I joined a guild and have been doing it with a group with voice communication it just became to easy infact it's pretty boring. Again maybe you should look over what goes wrong. Try to understand -What went wrong, Why did it go wrong, How can we fix it''. It will solve any issue in life.

Regards
    Valerion
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
    The only time I've ever failed this dungeon in a PUG was when 1 or more players quit after the first wipe, saying "OMG IMPOSSIBRU."

And even then I've 4 manned it after someone dropped before.

Many times it has taken 2-3 tries.

I like the difficulty where it's at. Most of the dungeon delves in this game are pretty easy - and in fact, Throne of Idris, which I believe is next in the chain, is also not at all difficult. Most PUGs will beat it the first try.

Pretty much 95% of this game is faceroll easy. Let us who enjoy difficult content keep at least a few dungeons, like Mad Dragon and Wolf Den.
  • redwaterxredwaterx Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Your life would be easier if you weren't a cleric, unfortunately. Broken threat + Righteousness makes for a pretty miserable play experience.
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I suppose Mad Dragon is the first Reality Check in this game?

I haven't done it yet, just hit 35, looking forward to it.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    I suppose Mad Dragon is the first Reality Check in this game?

I haven't done it yet, just hit 35, looking forward to it.

Pretty much, the tutorial ends at level 30 and it hits a lot of people by surprise.
  • lordtureilimlordtureilim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    I pugged it on my first go. Our healer even died at the last push but we pulled through gloriously with much celebration.

2 CW, one GF, TR, and DC. best Pug to date. No ninjas or nothing. The Golden Standard.
    "The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time. "
    What better happen when Paladins are introduced someday...A glorious union it shall be.
  • pungkapungka Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Beat it my first try with a pug. People are more worried about DPSing the boss I instead of managing adds. At that level, broken threat has nothing to do with it. It's all L2P. I found the fight hectic and fun.
  • callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    learn
    play
  • trickyflokitrickyfloki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fight is easy if you know the mechanics. Do not just go to town dpsing boss like other fights. Adds come every bubble of health and large waves at 66% and 33%. Take it slow with just GF on boss if you have to. Kill magus as priority (2 spawn each time) and enjoy your loots.
  • apocalypseincapocalypseinc Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think dragon and wolf den could use some slight adjustments.

The problems I've had on dragon are more because of the game's targeting mechanics. Woe betide if a Magus gets anywhere near the dragon because then it's nearly impossible to target him.

I find Marrowslake to be particularly frustrating. What are you supposed to do when he charges you out of nowhere and then slashes you? I've only been able to teleport out of that charge once or twice by sheer luck. If a wolf is there, then you're dead since 1 hit from the wolf is a huge chunk of health.
  • omenophis118omenophis118 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a more of a real issue than the difficulty of a dungeon. Mad dragon is hard...but i see it doable if the group communicates I mean voice chat is included with the game. My issue is with the class of cleric. You automatically get stuck as the role of a healer when they are REALLY awesome damage dealers. I should be allowed to play my character how I want and not how someone else thinks I should play my character. That's what D&D is all about. Making your character all your own. So my suggestion is to put in a job selection in when joining a que. Tank, Healer, or Damage. A lot of MMO's do this and it works wondrously.

And about the dungeon difficulty Please don't listen to the farmers that just want to speed trough a dungeon for loot and diamonds. Mad dragon is fine in difficulty. It was an epic and awesome fight... like it's supposed to be. (although the adds are kind of pointless when fighting a green dragon.) Not saying make it easier, just lighten up on the adds and make the dragon difficult but doable fight. Like giving it a tail swipe or bite attack. That way it's still a thinking fight and not a face roll or a healers and ranged to run for their lives for most of the encounter fight. I would love to see that instance with just the dragon at the end and it be an epic fight without the need for adds. Cause well in D&D Dragons are usually encountered alone cause.... they're freaking dragons.
    edited May 2013
    You really don't need to heal. All the classes were designed to have self sufficient healing.
    I've done mad dragon at level, and all the entry level epics, without a cleric.
    Chances are your DPS spells and astral seal are all you need to heal with.
    edited May 2013
    but the targeting could use some work as stated above. :D
    edited May 2013
    it's kinda hard to tell people that that are used to the holy trinity. -.-
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Took my first shot at Chartifilax(spelling?). Didn't go so well. but I'm pretty sure I know what the issue was.

we didn't bring enough AOE/control to deal with the adds. It was me (35 Guardian Fighter), another GF, a TR, a GWF, and a Cleric. for a PUG, most of which was doing this fight for the first time, I think we did pretty well, despite not beating him.

I did pretty decently tanking the boss for my first shot, but eventually my HP gave out when I was chain-snared by Imps, and couldn't avoid enough damage. after I died, the rest of the fight pretty much went to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I found it fun, challenging, not at all "faceroll" like the Forum Superstars would like to tell you(the ones who did it first time, blindfolded while using their toes to control the characters). The difficulty is fine. It's the first wake-up call telling you that it is time to get your sh*t together, playtime is over. and thats what I'm gonna do.

gonna re-up my gear and give it another shot.
    edited May 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    gonna re-up my gear and give it another shot.

It's amazing how many people would rather come to the forums to complain about it being too hard than do this.

My first failure in the Mad Dragon, I decided I would gain a few more levels before trying it again (first try at 31).

But apparently, for some reason, it should be easy enough for everyone to beat first try, as soon as you can queue for it, without gear?

I like it the way it is.
  • othmirguardianothmirguardian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this was the first challenging event i have seen. reminded me so much of eq with the adds and loot nobody could use. i loved it. wiped the first two times but with a skilled pug we learned and won. if this is any indication of how things to come are then i will be very pleased.
  • boilinghandsboilinghands Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not that Mad Dragon is unforgivable (although frankly anything wherein you can be arbitrarily stunned while multiple knockup AoEs blossom under your feet ticks me off on reflex,) but it is very much out of sequence. The next three dungeons are a breeze by comparison, I practically sleepwalked through Idris but still get PTSD attacks thinking about MD. Placing it where it is results in a vertical learning curve, and that's why so many people are jarred by it.

But yeah that freaking Popemobile hitbox he walks around in. Seriously, do something about that.
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've only ever done this dungeon once and that was with a pug. I did it as a TR and much like the cleric, I kept finding myself chased by the adds. My group kept doing the same thing over again "We need to focus more on the boss!" And I'd reply with "%#*&$ that, get the darn adds!" and no one listened to me. Three fights later I told them to grow a brain and left.

I absolutely refuse to do that fight with a pug ever again. I've held to that across 3 characters. I knew what needed to be done to beat him, but no one else seemed to care. For a game that otherwise is so casual friendly the subtle hints at what to do here are just to subtle.
  • royceerockroyceerock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dude that Dragon is hard for level 34ish. Theres no way it should be that hard, its insane and pisses people off. I been with a few parties and beating on the thing forever. Its no fun they need to tweak it and ya know they do. Im not saying make it easy but least make it so where ya can use some tactics and stack or something. Orange <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> all over the floor adds everywhere its not even fun.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xcreeping wrote: »
    I don't wanna hear ****, ive spent two 30-40mins ques just to get qued into this dungeon with all dps + a tank and no healer. Why does it que groups into this dungeon without a healer?

Because, as usual, everyone wants to be leet dps and there is just a handful of healers.
  • gillityrgillityr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Because, as usual, everyone wants to be leet dps and there is just a handful of healers.

Bingo. I too, play a healer as a main.