test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Frustration with current state of classes

thugmarthugmar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So to start with. I enjoy this game a decent bit. It could certainly still use some polish, and there are a few things I do not think should have made it into even a soft launch of this game, but whatever. So thank you for making a fairly enjoyable PC version of D&D.

That being said in the current state of the game there does not really appear to be a place for GF or GWF. I have my GF following the Conq. spec, and my DMG out is high, generally higher than most of the dps I play with in groups. That being said, there is no real point to bringing me. It is far far better to go with the two cleric, two wizard, one rogue group than anything else I have seen. I realize there are a few niche fights in which that comp struggles a tiny bit more than one that includes a GF or GWF, but it is the exception not the rule.

The problem is that even when I do my job correctly, some other class can provide the same function better. I gather up adds.... but not as well as a well played CW. I can do huge DPS on packs of mobs, but that pales to simply flinging them over the edge and killing multiple enemies at a time. Why bother "tanking" a boss when a TR can handle the same role with a pair of clerics in the group?

It is not that the character is unplayable, it is that it serves no purpose that is not better filled by another well played person of a different role. Specifically the two fighter classes are not bringing to the table what they need to bring, a unique solution to the problems put in front of the group.

I also realize that this becomes less of an issue with better gear for the groups, but the meta of the game has become such that I can not get PuG's in zone chat, because it is far far far easier to do the dungeons with an optimized group of 2 clerics, 2 wizards, 1 rogue, and the masses will simply go the easy way. Again, it is not that I can't do the dungeons, hell I beat T2 dungeons the same day I hit 60. It is that most people do not want to bother including my class. That is a major game concern, and I would argue a flaw, at least from my perspective as a GF.

Dev's please do something to correct this imbalance. The meta of the game is such that unless you run dedicated groups you have a very hard time being included, and honestly even then the easier way to play most of this content completely ignores two of your classes.
Post edited by thugmar on

Comments

• Options
    karandordaockarandordaoc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    2 clerics is something that will probably go away in favour of a GWF or 2nd rogue or 3rd CW for faster clear times. 2 clerics isn't necessary, it just makes everything easy.

GF are currently useless. Unfortunately I have friends that play them and almost always run single cleric +GF groups that have a horrible time in most T2 dungeons.

I've played with some GWFs that were awesome for add killing with "come and get it" and disagree that they are useless. Not quite as good as a second CW for control but the adds die MUCH faster.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Shrug, possibly that is true. I know I seem to out damage the GWF's I have played with, but my experience is limited. And yes, 2 clerics may well go away to make the game faster, but the 2 clerics can be used to gear up in order to hit the thresholds needed to make that faster clear time a reality.

The point remains that the meta pushes people away from the fighter classes, with a possible exception of the GWF if what your suggesting is accurate (admittedly my T2 experience is limited because.... well I am a GF).
  • Options
    thrallgabrielthrallgabriel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the op. Some reworking of the current classes should be done before more are added.
  • Options
    deathyddeathyd Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    10k gs GWF here, I can never find a t2 group unless I use the broken LFG tool. (And 9/10 times in that case I get an all DPS party, which would even be OKAY if they didn't all instantly DC on me.)

I feel GWFs have some nice pbaoe attacks, but their usefulness in dungeons seems much more limited then CWs or TRs.

But to be honest, even if they did buff GWFs I feel like it would take even LONGER for our stigmata to go away in the eyes of the public.

Feels bad man.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Whole system is in a terrible place for the two fighter classes. I rarely get to do groups because of the pure dislike of these classes by the community. I out DPS most of the people I play with, and yet no one is interested in me due to class. I love the toon in pvp, and will continue to try and gear it for that, but in pve I feel largely replaceable.

My GS is now 11k and still not much of a point.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well said OP, I completely agree with you! Nobody wants us :(

It seems all we can do is try to do the content on our own, which is a complete and utter nightmare (I'm convinced the 'difficulty scaling' thingo isn't working at the moment). I really don't know what the answer is, but I'm afraid I'm rapidly losing all interest in playing Neverwinter.
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited May 2013
    I'd be fine if they buffed GF, but nerfed block >:3 i hate you in pvp just soaking up all them pew pews...least in 1v1 situations