test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Striker companion not worth it?

jamezwithazjamezwithaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I got the Fire Archon pet a few days ago and I'm having doubts about whether it's worth it to continue to use it. Before I purchased it I had been using a tank and cleric pet.

Now, the cleric is amazing as most people know. The 20% heal is great no matter what level you are. The only downside is it is capped at rank 15 at the moment but most people will continue with her until they either release a cash shop equivalent or get the Angel.

I've also used a tank pet and they are very durable and soak up a lot of damage I'd otherwise take.

My Fire Archon, currently at rank 15 right now, feels very weak and useless. It seems the higher the rank it goes, the less damage it is doing because monsters are out-scaling whatever damage it gains with more HP and defense. I feel like I made a bad purchase, but I can't be totally sure as it's not rank 30 yet.

So for anyone using the Archon, or any striker pet for that matter, is it worth using them endgame?
Post edited by jamezwithaz on

Comments

• Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My pet hits for 135-190 at level 18 and I gave it 2 empowered runestones rank 5 and 2 epic sword knots with rank 4 offensive enchants in them. I have another epic sword knot and runestone ready for 25 :P

At this point I'm looking to see how much I can waste on the pet and it still be horribly useless :D

Either companions need a serious revamp or they need to share stats as a default ability.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    olvanatorolvanator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honey badger does respectable dmg at 30. I'd say any pet with a % increase at 30 should do well enough.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, the thing with pets and companions is simple-they scale HORRIBLY, regardless of what you put on them in terms of runes and items, they just don't scale, well, they do like players where 100 rating is 1% upgrade for them. That leads to their HUGE stats and PATHETIC performance at higher levels.
    Either they should have their base damage/stats way higher or scale better where 100 power is say 50 or even 100 flat dmg bonus.
    Even strongest companion with strongest possible runes and items deals less dmg over 10 seconds then clerics weakest DoT.
  • Options
    risloverislove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Augment pets are the only ones of value....there needs to be a runestone that gives THEM x% of YOUR stats :)
  • Options
    shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I happen to be training a dire wolf right now & while he can often finish off my trash after an aoe, but otherwise the biggest draw is the interrupt & knockback attack it does. Though if you look at their stats it is easy to see why they just cannot cut it for damage. Most power comes from a weapon, but they do not get those, instead taking ~5 pts in pow/crit/ap every level and what they can get from those few items they get & a few runes. So a typical pet can maybe get 700 power, which is about equal to ~lvl 20 maybe 25. If you were say... lvl 50 and had a lvl 20 tagging along with you, how would you expect them to do?
  • Options
    realpureshadowrealpureshadow Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    cleric pet ftw. she heals for 20% of your health. that always scales. and she does probably 50-60 damage ranged like a boss.

stat cat and stone are probably later end game when u got no upgrades to do.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cleric pet ftw. she heals for 20% of your health. that always scales. and she does probably 50-60 damage ranged like a boss.

Also constantly dead in epics, where people seem to expect her to live, and they forget to ever use potions. So, not ftw. Dead companion = no companion. I also know the people who pull her out in epics have no idea how to play really. I actually hope they nerf the cleric big time, if only for people try something new and learn to play better.

I soloed fine on my CW with the fire bird at max, rarely died, did nice aoe damage, held aggro at times, and added to the mobs going down faster.
  • Options
    auferoaufero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The wolf is definitely worthwhile while leveling, although that's more for the knockbacks and interrupts than the damage.
  • Options
    adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i also feel striker companions are the worst ones at the moment. healer ones do a respectable job even if they die easily, controllers actually manage to be marginally useful, tanks are actually very good with the zen shop ones having threat management comparable if not superior to actual tank players (maybe a bit too effective) and boosting ones are just great.

what do strikers do? negligible damage, short lived tanking, occasionally marginally useful controlling. according to some players the honey badger is actually good but c'mon, for 3500 zen it better be really **** good (galeb duhr is 500 less and it's really solid!) and that doesn't make the others (including wolf and panther) any better.