test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Constructive] Ideas for dungeons.

negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello there, there were several topics on how the dungeons are in fact dull and unchalanging in terms of diversity and mechanics. Most of the time its just straightforward spam of adds and aoe red circles under you. And that is nowhere near fun. So i made this topic to present some ideas for the already existing bosses, that would be fun and innovative (i hope).

Mad dragon (Mad dragons lair last boss)- since it is a mad dragon, why not press on the psychodelic part of a magic creature that went mad? My idea for this would be to break this boss into 5 parts of 20% of its hp. After each 20% of life the dragon would cast a spell that would couse all the adds to wipe, and teleport all of you (including the boss) into 6 always same spots of a circle. In this time, you would see one dragon and 4 remaining members of your team, but the dragon might take a form of your friend, and your friend might take a form of the dragon. (for everyone the roll would be different, so player A could see player B as a dragon, player B could see player A as a dragon, and player C could see the dragon as a dragon). The idea would be for the dragon to mimic one players moves -> eg. player A attacks player B couse he sees him as a dragon, and the dragon, taking the form of player C would attack player B aswell. The dragon would gather healing powers in that time. The idea would be to communicate with team and deal like 50k dmg to the real dragon and drop the illusion. (You would be able to kill your teammate in that process, and attack any of the teammates if picked wrong).

The Beholder Eye (Castle Never 2nd boss) - At some random spots, 5 of the small eyes of the beholder would target a different player and start casting a ray spell (the red line that some mobs use now), the huge eye would start casting a big linear ray ability through the middle of the room. The idea would be for all of you to position in spots, so that all the rays cross in one point, making all the abilities to burn off of each other cousing noone to take any dmg from that. Whilst not being able to do that, would make the player to fail get a huge chunk of dmg (that possibly only GF/GWF would survive)

Karrundax (Lair of Karrundax last boss) - After the dragon gets low, make it try to escape to his lair, destroying things behind him with spells -> you would have to jump properly from certain parts of the cliffs/terrain that is getting destroyed to next ones that are still ok, and still try to dps the boss b4 he would get to his lair, in which he would get alot of more drake adds and damage.

Hrimnir (Frozen Heart last boss) - Give him an ability to summon a Huge Ice Axe that would hit a large area, the idea would be for the ranged dps to target his axe while he puts it above his head to hit the ground. And by the dps on the axe you could make him drop the axe without the hit, you would have to position properly in front of him as only putting dps from this side would push the axe backward and make him loose his stability. The Aoe would have to be big and devastating to the group (knocking ppl of in different directions + big dmg)

Clock Tower last boss (the orc lady, i forgot her name) - you remember the adds that run from 4 bridges around the boss fight circle? Make the groups of adds bigger, but create a movable rock (through dps or GF shield bashes, or delocation skills), by moving the rock you would be able to block the way for reinforcements, but after a while they would run in an outside circle and would try to get into the fight from another dirrection cousing you to push the rock to another position -> blocking another entrance to the battlefield.

Clock tower (general) - there was already a location with a big clock face as a platform you run on. One of the bosses in there could be fought in such a platform. Make the boss be vulnerable only if the clock on the ground shows time that is half past or half to an odd hour (EG: if the clock on the ground shows 12:29 the boss is invulnerable, but from 12:31 to 13:29 the boss is vulnerable). There would be 4 mechanisms in the room. 2 of which enabled at once would make the hour to go forward by 1 (EG: from 12:31 to 13:31), the other two mechanism would be responsible for the minutes going on the clock (EG: none of them active would mean the minutes arent going forward, 1 of them active would make the minutes go on normally -obviously faster than in normal life by like 15 times, 2 of them active would make them move 30 times faster than in normal life, and they would reset after full hour). There would be clockwerk goblins spawning, and trying to mess with the mechanisms so that the boss is invulnerable (making the clock go to a position 30 minutes each side of an even hour).

PS: Those are just some ideas i put up (i might put up more), i hope you like them. Ideas given to devs might give us interesting results, and possibly better dungeons in the future, or dungeons adjusted to what the community wants. Pls keep the topic clean if possible.
Post edited by negnarloden on

Comments

• Options
    negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Spellplague last boss - It would be actually nice to see more of the platforms move and rotate, and you would have to jump from them and keep balance, not to fall off a platform going down, or rotating. If the mechanics of a walkable platform changing its place or dissapearing is already implemented, why not to go with that further.

PS: All the ideas here are basically to reduce the amount of adds, and add a challange to every boss we meet in the dungeons. Make them, so intelligence of the player is actually required in order to proceed.
  • Options
    rescorlarescorla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with everything you are saying. However, if a new MMO released in 2013 does not have basic boss AI mechanics that have been a staple part of MMOs for 10+ years, its quite possible that the game is designed from the ground up to not support them. Hope I'm wrong and we see some improved boss AI mechanics in an upcoming patch.
  • Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great post, I apologize for bumping an older thread, but the suggestions are golden and just what the game needs.

BETTER BOSS MECHANICS
  • Options
    groomaar69groomaar69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with everything you just said, the game needs encounters, not bosses with tons of HP and tons of adds for difficulty. Lots of MMO's have good boss fights. Neverwinter does not. I can list about a dozen good encounters from other MMOs and not a single fight with a mechanic that is not Kills boss as fast as possible before adds kill us, in neverwinter. We don't have 1 single good boss fight in-game in my opinion they're all the same. don't stand in Red cirles, run from tons of adds, Zerg he boss when you can, die come back and loot after adds despawn.