test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF, should I jump ship?

kyuubiilkyuubiil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I started as a cleric, jumped to a wizard.. and then to a GWF, currently 34, struggling, but enjoying it, I enjoy what I bring to a group, I enjoy being able to NSF -> Wicked strike a group of enemies down, s'something my cleric couldn't do.

Having read Executions guide, I was looking forward to the endgame, being the first one in, cleaving down the adds, handling add duty, increasing everyones effectiveness, that sounded -fun- to me.

But, lately, even the people normally fighting for GWF's have jumped on the "the class sucks, buff or quit" boat, and that worries me.. should I even bother powering to 60 as is, or just hop back on my cleric or wizard (.. probably cleric), and just stick to something people will actually want around, ratehr than wasting my time leveling something no one will want to have in a party, then end up forced to reroll anyhow?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• psixakiros951psixakiros951 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you like the class, have friends/guild to play with AND have patience to gear it up stick with it.
    If not, just roll one the 3 non warrior ones to get groups in pugs.

The class has problems thats a fact, but the biggest issue is general game balance.
  • extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kyuubiil wrote: »
    I started as a cleric, jumped to a wizard.. and then to a GWF, currently 34, struggling, but enjoying it, I enjoy what I bring to a group, I enjoy being able to NSF -> Wicked strike a group of enemies down, s'something my cleric couldn't do.

Having read Executions guide, I was looking forward to the endgame, being the first one in, cleaving down the adds, handling add duty, increasing everyones effectiveness, that sounded -fun- to me.

But, lately, even the people normally fighting for GWF's have jumped on the "the class sucks, buff or quit" boat, and that worries me.. should I even bother powering to 60 as is, or just hop back on my cleric or wizard (.. probably cleric), and just stick to something people will actually want around, ratehr than wasting my time leveling something no one will want to have in a party, then end up forced to reroll anyhow?

The GWF is good at what it does, problem is the end game content isn't designed in a way that what the GWF is good at is relevant.

That's the problem - either the class needs tweaks to become relevant to the design of the content or the content needs tweaks to become relevant to the design of the class.

If neither of these things happen then this class is in trouble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • kyuubiilkyuubiil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    If you like the class, have friends/guild to play with AND have patience to gear it up stick with it.
    If not, just roll one the 3 non warrior ones to get groups in pugs.

The class has problems thats a fact, but the biggest issue is general game balance.

Well there in lies the issue, most of my friends started on other servers and i've not really played an mmo in a serious fashion for about a year, so my guild will be whoever I face-pug into and there is no promise there will be any sort of endgame push there, let alone one that will want another GWF, Pugging my way into friends is about my only option; and if i'm going to be as a whole an largely unwanted, it's a waste of time to push to 60 when I can just reroll, do it faster, and be wanted at the endgame.
  • s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    2 TR's + 2 CW's + Cleric(1 cw can be switched for another cleric), best party composition for anything right now. GWF and GF useless as of now, no point taking them with us to dungeons or pvp. Also I think that there will be no buff to GWF or GF(yes the game will stay unbalanced forever like this, just like every other MMO out there, so pick the most OP class and have fun rather than picking some garbage and pointlessly trying to make it work despite all game mechanics) so no point playing one unless u already wasted time leveling to 60 and can't afford time to reroll.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
    edited May 2013
    Well, and going to just /******bagnoob here

I spent most of the day bouncing around, I don't like the rogue, doesn't.. flow right to me, hasn't since BWE #1, I don't like casters -- I can't play a wizard, just something about magic missile is/bore, the cleric I got two levels done on, but realized i'm on a one way path to being a healbot by doing so.

My GWF -- while my 18 clerics lance of faith outdoes my 33 GWF's sure strike's damage, just feels right -- and this is a wierd one for me, normally no matter how much I love a class, I can't stick with it knowing that at cap, i'm going to be shunned, just a waste of time.

But this time I don't really mind, the GWF -- just the asthetics, the range of powers, the way the passives work together, the (well, intended -- and I blame you for this execution, I love being an initiator >_>) role, it's just all, perfect. So, despite asking a question and getting answers telling me one way, imma ******bag **** and do the opposite, and hang on to hope -- probably slowly level a cleric on the side, but.. try and make as many friends as possible, and slowly climb the gear ladder, hang on to the dismal hope that one day cryptic will hit us with a balance patch and it'll all be worth it.
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have quit GWF at lv 60, Want to play fighters but GF is also going down hill. Might level a Cleric to 60 just to drop out of level 60 dungeons against players who refused to take my GWF into a dungeon.
  • supersaiyansonsupersaiyanson Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »
    2 TR's + 2 CW's + Cleric(1 cw can be switched for another cleric), best party composition for anything right now. GWF and GF useless as of now, no point taking them with us to dungeons or pvp.

A good GF will wreck any class (except for another GF and some Cleric) in pvp and carry his team if it's a preform.
  • ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Here's the thing. I chose GWF because I like melee, but I also chose it because the general consensus among non GWFs is that it's a weak class. The metrics that Cryptic keeps will probably show it's the least played class. There's a vocal majority on the forums who call for a buff. This happens with every game and that class ends up being buffed into overpoweredness. I am thinking the same thing happened on SW:TOR with the Sith Warriors/Jedi Knight class. I want to be around and well geared when that happens to GWF.

If a few of these things happened, not all, but a few, we'd be **** near OP:

1. Threat increase from Sentinel line.
    2. A Ranged at-will ability. (I am thinking something like you throw your greatsword and you can't attack until it comes back to you)
    3. A Ranged Silence/Interrupt for stopping CC
    4. A Taunt (single target even)
    Steelkat/Unfrozen Caveman - DCs
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    MOPP 4′s community was created to cater to those who have served or currently serve in the armed forces around the world as well as friends, family & supporters of the armed forces. We also now proudly support the Wounded Warrior Project. For more details please go here.
  • ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »
    2 TR's + 2 CW's + Cleric(1 cw can be switched for another cleric), best party composition for anything right now. GWF and GF useless as of now, no point taking them with us to dungeons or pvp. Also I think that there will be no buff to GWF or GF(yes the game will stay unbalanced forever like this, just like every other MMO out there, so pick the most OP class and have fun rather than picking some garbage and pointlessly trying to make it work despite all game mechanics) so no point playing one unless u already wasted time leveling to 60 and can't afford time to reroll.

Nonsense. All games go through balancing acts where yesterday's OP class is nerfed into oblivion and vice versa. Sometimes they eventually get it all right and you have a good game, or sometimes they don't. But things are never static in class balancing.

ETA: I should add that I don't support balancing in terms of 1v1 or anything like that. I'm more of a rock-paper-scissors guy. I'm speaking of balance in general where a 5-man is indifferent to the DPS class that comes with them and each brings it's own positives to the group.
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    MOPP 4′s community was created to cater to those who have served or currently serve in the armed forces around the world as well as friends, family & supporters of the armed forces. We also now proudly support the Wounded Warrior Project. For more details please go here.
  • tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF shines at level 60. You can easily mob the floor with a rogue 1 v 1.
  • airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tenkuro wrote: »
    GWF shines at level 60. You can easily mob the floor with a rogue 1 v 1.

How is that an indication of how great the class is?
  • extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ataranes wrote: »
    Here's the thing. I chose GWF because I like melee, but I also chose it because the general consensus among non GWFs is that it's a weak class. The metrics that Cryptic keeps will probably show it's the least played class. There's a vocal majority on the forums who call for a buff. This happens with every game and that class ends up being buffed into overpoweredness. I am thinking the same thing happened on SW:TOR with the Sith Warriors/Jedi Knight class. I want to be around and well geared when that happens to GWF.

If a few of these things happened, not all, but a few, we'd be **** near OP:

1. Threat increase from Sentinel line.
    2. A Ranged at-will ability. (I am thinking something like you throw your greatsword and you can't attack until it comes back to you)
    3. A Ranged Silence/Interrupt for stopping CC
    4. A Taunt (single target even)

Unless the high end game content was changed none of those things you list would really matter. Also roar is our "interrupt" so technically we have that already.

GF and GWF are both not needed end game. Especially GWF, none of the things on your list would make GWF any more desired unfortunately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unless the high end game content was changed none of those things you list would really matter. Also roar is our "interrupt" so technically we have that already.

GF and GWF are both not needed end game. Especially GWF, none of the things on your list would make GWF any more desired unfortunately.

I thought I remember Roar knocking enemies back a lot farther in the BW3, but I'm not positive. Im sure its safe to assume they nerfed that just like everything else on this class.
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    I thought I remember Roar knocking enemies back a lot farther in the BW3, but I'm not positive. Im sure its safe to assume they nerfed that just like everything else on this class.

To use an analogy: when they went in to tweak the class towards the end of closed beta they used a chainsaw not a scalpel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • laserdanlaserdan Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll chime in on this.

I hit 60 last night. I've already been kicked from 5+ epic groups, and now delegated to solo queue for pvp. I can kill people there, sure... but in a 1v1, I better **** have Crescendo up or there's just not going to be enough damage on my end.

When I do get into dungeons, it's unfun and a chore. Might be class envy, but I just struggle to keep up in dps, but hey, sprint is good for getting way out of a bad situation... >_<
  • incarealincareal Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    with GWF u dont jump on the ship.
    with GWF better jump off the cliff.

useless class. im at 50 and to do any dungeon is imposimble cuz instakick, to do some solo dungeon-like quests is extremely hard to kill the bosses i fight for over 4minutes and use around 7-10 potions where TR/Cw/Cler just come and are ready in under minute.
    but dont count on Cryptic ever fixing classes. they did not do that in Star Trek Online aswell.
    edited May 2013
    incareal wrote: »
    with GWF u dont jump on the ship.
    with GWF better jump off the cliff.

useless class. im at 50 and to do any dungeon is imposimble cuz instakick, to do some solo dungeon-like quests is extremely hard to kill the bosses i fight for over 4minutes and use around 7-10 potions where TR/Cw/Cler just come and are ready in under minute.
    but dont count on Cryptic ever fixing classes. they did not do that in Star Trek Online aswell.

Thankfully, this isn't STO; I mean I have already rolled a CW as a 'meantime' character, but that's kind of become a pet peeve for me, people directly comparing neverwinter to STO or CO; Both of those games were rushed out the door because improper funding (Atari really didn't hang on to cryptic, CO was released with half the powersets simply.. not working, barely any content, horrid balance, and once people jumped ship, atari yanked funding too -- STO had similar problems); Neverwinter is, outside of a few broken things here and there and horrendous encounter design, a solid game -- with PW funding it, and the zen store selling well (There are people who have spent over 1000$ in the zen store already).

This game is likely more of a cash cow already than most of PW's other ventures, I'm sure the vocalized community going IT'S BROKE won't be ignored, if only because they want people throwing money at keys.
    edited May 2013

I understand that, but I can only hope that dungeon design changes, when it does, it's not more damage I want, it's more utility & versatility.
    Guild Leader of MOPP4