Options

Class Utility in Dungeons is Disappointing

13»

Comments

• Options
    aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pwiratgirl wrote: »
    As an example of a "fun boss fight" I'll offer up the final boss in the DDO quest Party Crashers.

The party is sent into a gala being held by House Phiarlan (enchanters and illusionists), making their way through "the illusionarium" which is a series of display halls with illusionary monsters and creatures. If you find the proper symbol (always hidden somewhere in the room) you can destroy it and banish the illusions. Once you make it through and into the party itself, you add your contact's name to the guest list (she was specifically not invited, but is trying to do her job and protect the house leader) so she can get in.

While you're in the party, you can discover several disguised tiefling agents who are there setting up the assassination of the lord (you can uncover them with enough spot, true sight, or other means). Through use of various skills (bluff, intimidate, diplomacy, etc) you can lure them away from everyone else and take them out. There's also a group of thugs hiding in the upstairs hallway (and in the bathrooms) waiting to jump down and help the attack.

Whichever ones you don't deal with show up for the final battle with the boss, which is a pretty straight-forward beat-em-up with fighters, casters, and summons. If you DO deal with them, however, the final battle is both creative and incredibly funny.

The evil mastermind shows up, noting that the lord just finished his drink, and laughs (evilly) saying, "Did you enjoy your drink, my lord? It was POISONED!"

Cyan (your contact) says, "Actually, we caught your poisoner. Too bad."

EMM: Ah, well luckily I have a backup plan! Like a group of your own loyal house guards, mind-controlled by my sorcerer and sent to attack you! Haha!

Cyan: Oh, you mean the sorcerer we found in the library and dealt with? Nasty business. So many paper cuts.

EMM: Well, too bad I have a backup to my backup plan! Like a squad of thugs waiting to burst in and take you down!

Cyan: You mean the ones that were upstairs in the bathrooms? We had them ... flushed.

EMM: You...but...all my plans...

Cyan: (bluff) You seem out of sorts. Here, have a drink. (hands him a cup laced with the poison he tried to use)

EMM: (drinks it) ...oh bother. *dies*

Best "boss fight" ever, imo. :)

Coolest boss fight ever!
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • Options
    krnefraikrnefrai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't had a chance to really dig into the Foundry, but it seems like we should be able to create boss fights like that one detailed above.