test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to improve PvP

pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
ok, unless you have an IQ of under 20 then you will know that pvp at the mo is not very good.
plz post any ideas you have to improve it, not so much class based (such as rogues having stupid range dmg) more overall.
i was thinking maybe ban or reduce the dmg of dailys by 30% while in pvp areas and all dmg and healing by 15%. this would lower burst a little without totally gimping dps classes.
also CC needs to dr with other people's cc. so if i entangling force someone and another CW does it after his last less. this would also help with multi rogue/gwf lock outs.
LoS and dodging also seem pretty bad. and ofc more maps and an anti afk system would help.
post any ideas you have, would be nice to have a at least semi decent pvp game to play here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• solacefflsolaceffl Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lower healing on DC that already have 40% less healing on themselves, noty.
  • kynttilakynttila Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Glory obtained with performance + match outcome. Meaning glory comes from damage & healing done, different types of kills (normal, defensive, assault - kill a defending player at enemy flag) and assists, along with base caps. Win could modify the gained glory by 2 whereas loss gives only the amount you have earned by doing stuff for your team.
  • kitsunekisukitsunekisu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What i dislike the most is the illusion of an action combat system the game has. It currently runs only a single check on target mechanic. Meaning the only real dodging in game is walking outside of an aoe circle.

For instance a rogue targets you with their daily the ability does it's one check and recognizes that you are an available target and fires off. You see the animation or hear the trigger sound of the daily and seemingly effectively dodge away but still get smacked by the melee swing. The "dodge" mech in game is just a short time invulnerability button. Since the games only has the single check, there's never that second one to see if the target is still within range and LOS before damage calculation.

Funny watching melee attacks slamming into people from across the area.
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Some abilities need to be re-adjusted for PvP, more so some of the dailies. Dailies are too dominating, when an entire team can be thrown in a blackhole or protected by a magical circle... when rogues can pretty much 1 hit kill most classes or when Great Weapo... wait what does Great Weapon's Fighter have as a daily?

Anyway, there needs to be more balance, CCs need some nerfing, more so CW's freeze but also Daze needs a little bit of a nerf too and Damage needs to be lowered at top levels so that fights actually take longer to fight...
    solaceffl wrote: »
    Lower healing on DC that already have 40% less healing on themselves, noty.

Surely Cleric is balanced now? So why not balance the other classes, give rogues 40% less damage, Control Wizards 40% less range for all moves, Great Weapons Fighter 40% less damage and Guardian Fighters 40% less defense.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PvP can not be fixed. Best to just play a CW or Rogue and try to one shot people and just have fun. The PvE is surprisingly good though as long as you don't run double cleric.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theisingguytheisingguy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    Give clerics more damage please! Make Hammer of Fate a encounter!
  • pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What i dislike the most is the illusion of an action combat system the game has. It currently runs only a single check on target mechanic. Meaning the only real dodging in game is walking outside of an aoe circle.

For instance a rogue targets you with their daily the ability does it's one check and recognizes that you are an available target and fires off. You see the animation or hear the trigger sound of the daily and seemingly effectively dodge away but still get smacked by the melee swing. The "dodge" mech in game is just a short time invulnerability button. Since the games only has the single check, there's never that second one to see if the target is still within range and LOS before damage calculation.

Funny watching melee attacks slamming into people from across the area.
    this. the amount of times i have flat dodged rogues attck only for them to hit from bloody miles away is scary.
  • oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzg33 wrote: »
    this. the amount of times i have flat dodged rogues attck only for them to hit from bloody miles away is scary.

This deserves it's own thread.

I can't tell how many times a rogue has managed to lock my skills with that jump attack but i'm five feet away. (Not complaining about the attack btw, just the fact that it still lands regardless of where I am).
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shinnyshinshinnyshin Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The biggest problems of PvP have very little to do with the combat. I think we can all agree that full-team fights over objective two are very fun. Trouble is, that's not how you win PvP. Most of the rounds I've played, the team with the most kills loses because their members have focused on fighting instead of objectives. That's just silly.

The biggest way to improve PvP, in my opinion, would be to either introduce an alternate mode that actually focuses on the fighting. Either that or rework the current one to do so.
  • oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shinnyshin wrote: »
    The biggest problems of PvP have very little to do with the combat. I think we can all agree that full-team fights over objective two are very fun. Trouble is, that's not how you win PvP. Most of the rounds I've played, the team with the most kills loses because their members have focused on fighting instead of objectives. That's just silly.

The biggest way to improve PvP, in my opinion, would be to either introduce an alternate mode that actually focuses on the fighting. Either that or rework the current one to do so.

nah domination's fine the way it is. The way to win is strategy and the teams that have none will lose. The focus on fighting isn't PvP's fault, but the fault of the player whose goals are to get kills, not win matches.

For example, in pugs, I always try to get one of our team to take our home node and then i instruct the others to boogey on down to mid, take it and hold it there.

The trick is not to move off the node because the more bodies are on it, even one, the longer it stays contested in our favor.

Now here's where strategy comes in:

Sometimes, team fights on mid just aren't going in our favor. That's when I sneak away, and circle around to the opposing side's node and take it. They're too busy fighting my guys on mid to notice they're losing their own node.

Once they realize that, usually one or two guys will come try to kill me. Soon as I see them heading towards me I take off towards mid. Suddenly now my team outnumbers theres in mid so we take and/or hold the node while they're distracted trying to take back their home node.

Rinse and repeat.

The good matches are the ones where both teams know to do this ;)

I will agree though that a team deathmatch mode would be nice, to break things up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zsprawlzsprawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    nah domination's fine the way it is. The way to win is strategy and the teams that have none will lose. The focus on fighting isn't PvP's fault, but the fault of the player whose goals are to get kills, not win matches.

For example, in pugs, I always try to get one of our team to take our home node and then i instruct the others to boogey on down to mid, take it and hold it there.

The trick is not to move off the node because the more bodies are on it, even one, the longer it stays contested in our favor.

Now here's where strategy comes in:

Sometimes, team fights on mid just aren't going in our favor. That's when I sneak away, and circle around to the opposing side's node and take it. They're too busy fighting my guys on mid to notice they're losing their own node.

Once they realize that, usually one or two guys will come try to kill me. Soon as I see them heading towards me I take off towards mid. Suddenly now my team outnumbers theres in mid so we take and/or hold the node while they're distracted trying to take back their home node.

Rinse and repeat.

The good matches are the ones where both teams know to do this ;)

I will agree though that a team deathmatch mode would be nice, to break things up.

THIS

/10char
  • shinnyshinshinnyshin Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    The way to win is strategy and the teams that have none will lose. The focus on fighting isn't PvP's fault, but the fault of the player whose goals are to get kills, not win matches...

...The good matches are the ones where both teams know to do this ;)

While I'd agree with much of what you've said, a lot of people play PvP because they want to brawl. It's an itch that many of us want scratched. And the current PvP setup (playing to win at least) has very little to do with fighting or killing and instead revolves entirely around strategy. Which is good and all, but does nothing to scratch that particular itch.

It'd be really, really nice if there were a game format where teamfighting and kills matter.
  • nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there needs to be CC DR on CC of the same type.

i was doing PVP earlier and two CW were able to lock me down indefinitely without me being able to do anything, but the occasional dodge/heal. they were ****ing terrible too and i could've 1v2'd them, if, i could ever move for more than half a second. they just spammed their stun, freeze, etc. on me and i literally couldn't do anything.

i don't have a problem with different types of cc not effecting each other, but same-type CC needs diminishing returns.

p.s. remove righteousness
  • diokgdiokg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This is my biggest problem at the moment. PvP consists of running away from the fight as much as possible and capping points to win. We need more options in pvp matches. I personally like Capture the Flag opjectives, or 1 single central point with a long cap time, that gives a large point bonus, but then resets and must be capped again, or just leave it how it is now and remove 2 of the objective points.
  • malycmalyc Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is pretty easy:

1) Drastically reduce the damage on dailies. They should be for disable, not 1-hitting anyone with a 100% success rate.
    2) Remove the regeneration powerups, replace with a passive regeneration that's 50% of the current regeneration powerup which only activates when one hasn't taken damage for X seconds.

Changes required for DC:
    1) Divine-powered and normal versions of that ground-based shield should not stack together like they do currently. I die a little on the inside when I see two clerics on the same team, especially if they know this works.
    2) The ground-based shield should have ~50% effectiveness in PvP (make it less ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED). I feel a huge change in the metagame for PvP if this change went through along with the daily nerf.

I think that would be a good start.
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have anti afk system, called 8 out of 10 times being leader, then it`s kick.
    also for fighting outside circles while they have 1 or less.

i don`t mind being one shot or something, that`s what keeps the action in it and not just stand a bit.
  • m1keyc123m1keyc123 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NERFED??

Ok i have a serious problem here, and apparently I cant post new threads for whatever reason so im posting it here. Anyway my character has been nerfed. Apparently going 24-0 almost every game in arena pvp has gotten me nerfed. not joking when i say nerfed.. ok so when i highlight one of my abilities when im just in town like Lashing blade it shows the normal physical damage i should be getting , specifically 2455-2924 damage. (screenshot here ) http://prntscr.com/14yekd . NOW when i join an arena game, my same ability shows 1/3 of that damage, it shows 1123-1138 damage (screenshot here) http://prntscr.com/14yf0s

this isnt just a bug where it is not showing correct damage, my character is actually doing much less damage, im critting in arena for 1800 when normally that move crits for 5k-9k. the same goes for all my other moves its not just this one move, my at-will powers , my encounters and my dailys are all showing about 1/3 the damage when i enter the arena which results in me getting my *** handed to me. now this just started happening today, because it was fine yesterday when i was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> kids critting them for 6k-8k on my lashing blade, now i played aobut 20 games today and the highest it crit for was 2200. something is wrong, i think i have been permanerfed for being too good. i asked a few people and aparently they have no idea what im talking about they just keep telling me oh they have +defense on their gear. NO. that is not the case here. my abilities are glitched or nerfed. does anyone have any idea what is going on and how i can fix this? Thanks again.
  • nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malyc wrote: »
    Changes required for DC:
    1) Divine-powered and normal versions of that ground-based shield should not stack together like they do currently. I die a little on the inside when I see two clerics on the same team, especially if they know this works.
    2) The ground-based shield should have ~50% effectiveness in PvP (make it less ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED). I feel a huge change in the metagame for PvP if this change went through along with the daily nerf.

I think that would be a good start.

are you serious?

i agree with it not stacking (i didn't even know it stacked until all the threads *****ing about it popped up), but, nerfing its effectiveness by 50%? that absolutely destroys the skill and the cleric class. do you really want PVP to be more of a one-shot burstfest?
    edited May 2013
    While I'd agree with much of what you've said, a lot of people play PvP because they want to brawl. It's an itch that many of us want scratched. And the current PvP setup (playing to win at least) has very little to do with fighting or killing and instead revolves entirely around strategy. Which is good and all, but does nothing to scratch that particular itch.

It'd be really, really nice if there were a game format where teamfighting and kills matter.

team fighting and kills DO matter. You just have to know when to fight or flight. It's the same for any kind of domination PvP. How much it matters depends on the team you're fighting.

You cap 2 nodes, turtle mid and let them come to you. There's your teamfights and there's your kills.

But like I said, sometimes teams know how to strategize and that goes beyond simply turtling and fighting. At that point, you have to run around and cap points to break up the pack.

Everything's there in domination. It's just a matter of how a game goes.

BUT, I do support a team deathmatch to scratch that KILL EVERYTHING itch that people have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • malycmalyc Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    are you serious?

i agree with it not stacking (i didn't even know it stacked until all the threads *****ing about it popped up), but, nerfing its effectiveness by 50%? that absolutely destroys the skill and the cleric class. do you really want PVP to be more of a one-shot burstfest?

I'm also asking for dailies to be nerfed heavily, which is mostly what that shield is needed for at this time. Besides, the current iteration of the shield practically makes one immortal against two or less opponents, and only gets worse when actually considering its a team environment.

The alternative to nerfing its effectiveness would be to make disables last longer and be easier to set off, so knocking away + disabling outside the zone becomes a viable counter.
  • pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    also make all mounts the same speed in pvp