test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which one is your preferred PnP edition?

sydanyosydanyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
So, which one is your preferred D&D pen&paper version?

Are you a hard core fan of the older versions and won't budge and change to a newer one, do you go with the flow and switch to the latest version whenever it comes, are you looking forward to D&D Next more than anything, or have you turned your back on Wizards of the Coast and gone with Paizo and Pathfinder?
Post edited by sydanyo on

Comments

• powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Voted for AD&D, as pen and paper I've never played any of the later versions, but have played most of the cRPGs based on AD&D through 3/3.5 etc.

But I was always a fan of Chaosium's Runequest, 1 & 2 not the fantasy medieval later version, Call of Cuthulu!
  • grokit4chgrokit4ch Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pathfinder is really the best, especially with the advanced core rule book. You have lots of variation in base classes, that let you make your very own and unique character.

And you only need 1 book to play, it's awesome compared to D&D3.5 where 3 books are required. The rules are also modified to be smoother, Pathfinder is really one of the best PnP game I've ever played with CtulhuTech !
  • thulkoththulkoth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    I mainly played AD&D but think 3.5 is a little smoother.
    Never played Pathfinder but would like to at some point, always seems to be the most recommended.
    Next (or 5e) seems to be messing things up with adding too many extra dice rolls.
  • sverbridgesverbridge Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Depends on what I am doing. If playing, 3.5 is awesome but a nightmare to DM. If I am DMing I prefer 4e.
  • teebee303teebee303 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Love DMing and playing DnD Next!
  • thlaylirahthlaylirah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I chose 3.5 because that's what we have and hubby ardently refuses to buy more books after spending hundreds of dollars on 3/3.5 books. However, we have checked out a bit of Next and have found it really fun to play and DM.
    .gif.gif.gif.gif
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4th edition is very DM and newbie friendly. Also, for the kind of campaigns and aventures I like to do, I think that 4th edition offers a better system.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • juticojutico Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have very limited exposure to 4th ed, but played the heck out of ad&d. I never liked 3.5 it became too complex after being away fro several years.
  • thulkoththulkoth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    Surprised by the love for 4e, usually it gets ripped apart. Could be that it's designed after mmos so anyone that backtracked to pnp will find it similar.