test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2 am- no one will ever see this, but it is a testament to my surprise

jramsay31jramsay31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I first made this post last night in the /r/mmorpg subreddit, but also wanted to share it here. It was written early this morning, after an unexpected gaming binge...

8 hours ago I stumbled upon this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHyljJ8hUJ4.

I've been playing it ever since

Before I thought posting here was a consideration, I found myself writing down the reasons why I was having fun. I made a list:
  • Intuitive. Everything about this game feels very fluid, very intuitive. The way my abilities worked on their own and together, the key bindings, the minimalist UI, adventuring...

• Baldurs Gates meets GW2. Game-world unlike any other I've experienced in an mmo- the feel of a Baldurs Gate/ Demon Souls, but multiplayer in every aspect. The questing zones are intuitive and encourage multiplayer play, but it's up to the player to group with others. The classes fill unique enough roles for grouping to be a pleasant, more filling experience.

• Storytelling- The dialogue cinematics were not cringed at. In fact, I looked forward to them. Having my last mmo being gw2, not having a voice assigned to my character felt freeing. I struggled connecting with my Norn Necromancer because the voice and character was not what I wanted, but decided by the system.

• Complete immersion. If you appreciate sound, soundscapes, you'll find yourself welcoming the immersion created by their impact here. The game world feels genuine and alive. This blends well with a unique refreshing mechanic- HP doesn't naturally regenerate. And when your HP gets low, your screen gets darker as the sounds around you are deafened by a thumping heartbeat. Campfires found at the scarcely located safe zones changes this. While your character replenishes his health with each pulse of warm campfire ambiance you notice a sense of calm- the music is soft, the conversation around you muffled and chill, and the fire crackles throughout it all- all this detail went into the sound alone. To heightened this effect, the moment you step outside of your campfire, the music gets tense, the color palette gets dark around you, and the sound effects get straight up creepy. This game is amazingly atmospheric, which I really appreciate since it's a D&D title.

TL;DR Totally surprised by Neverwinter. Journaled my immediate reflections and thought this subreddit may be interested.
Post edited by jramsay31 on

Comments

• Options
    merlinreynmerlinreyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. You can really tell a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into creating this game. It has to be one of the best MMO's to be released as of late. I've played almost all of them since WoW and this game puts them all to shame.
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree love the game and you can tell the devs have sat around a few times and played D&D around a table.
    I once had Gary Gygax's email and I asked him when Neverwinter nights came out If he knew about the game and how D&D changes with new technology and he was not keen on what he had seen because of the limitations of computers and that the imagination has no bounds but If Gary had been alive today and played this game Iam sure he would a given it the thumbs up.
    You can never beat the tabletop sessions with pals but this game does come a close second.
  • Options
    atlantix1atlantix1 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    nobody said its a bad game

its decent mmorpg with d&d theme

but its f2p so community is freaky

besides that p2w according to some perspectives

and according to me this game suppose to be sub based mmo..

i think most of the people would prefer 15$ a month and unlimited respec and no ridiculous ca$h shop
  • Options
    therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    The game itself is amazing.

The cash shop is just extremely poorly-implemented.
  • Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm ready to hit 60 and I could roll another character and play to 60 again. I can't say that about other MMO's I've played. I actually want to see how the other classes play. Nice post OP!
    Every game has pluses, minuses and problems but the combat THE COMBAT! it's purely addicting.
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just do yourself a favor and dont look at item shop, or expect to do end game with out a significant investment in the game. Might wanna take out a small loan... to be able to afford all the wards you'll need to do end game content. As much as i am loving the game i fear once i hit end game i will lost all interest...
  • Options
    musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Nah, Gygax would probably have appreciated the effort but it lacks a lot of DD system and soul to be quite good.
    No real class choice (only premade classes) thus terribly narrowed choice, not enough bi-classed (lack of hybrid) lack of races and the one missing the most is alignment (lawful good, neutral, chaotic evil etc...).
    Considering this is nothing but PvE (only one very common PvP mode which shows obvious balanced issues) they could have done a better job about the campaign (only made for lawful goods... no choices, no consequences) lack of guilds (thieves, assassins, mercenaries, mages, etc...).
    Lack of diversity in ambiances, lack of great figures of forgotten realms (Drizzt, Elminster, etc...)

Yes, this game is pretty good, fun and popular and pretty much successful so far (even too much considering the terrific amount of server updates) but it does look like they never expected to get big (what's the end game ?) thus their plan for the futur of this game could actually be only some light content updates (little spends) massive cosmetic adds (great gains) and let it lives its own life thx to the community with the foundery...

I do appreciate the game which is totally what I expect for a "mmo" since I don't have much time to play : this game encourages short sessions of playing and this is all good for me, but I don't think they made it to be AAA and to become a wow killer for example, thus hardcore gamers will quickly go onto the next one because it lacks content.
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nah, Gygax would probably have appreciated the effort but it lacks a lot of DD system and soul to be quite good.
    No real class choice (only premade classes) thus terribly narrowed choice, not enough bi-classed (lack of hybrid) lack of races and the one missing the most is alignment (lawful good, neutral, chaotic evil etc...).
    Then you have never played 4e D&D then, because they removed all the choices from 4e, if you look at the players guide, under types are 2 classes listed for every class. Example, Gaurdian fighter, and great weapon fighter are 2 of listed archtypes, and each archtype has its own section of skills are designed for it. While a GF could use some of the GWF stuff wouldnt be practical, and not alot of variation outside of these archtypes.

Real variation came with paragon classes, and cross classing later on but even that wouldnt be a massive change from your primary design. So can ***** and complain all you like but cryptic stayed true to the source material. Go read some 4e books and you will change your mind on this, however that said...4e is detested by alot of hard core fans for the very reasons you listed.
    Considering this is nothing but PvE (only one very common PvP mode which shows obvious balanced issues) they could have done a better job about the campaign (only made for lawful goods... no choices, no consequences) lack of guilds (thieves, assassins, mercenaries, mages, etc...).Lack of diversity in ambiances, lack of great figures of forgotten realms (Drizzt, Elminster, etc...)

Once again, 4e pretty much removed alignments, and ability to be evil. One of my BIGGEST issues with 4e was in fact everyone had to be a good guy. Evil campaigns vanished, but that said... 90% of all mmos put you in shoes of a good guy, very few let you be truely evil and ones that do typically don't do it well. SWTOR and DCUO are only two have did it reasonably well, and even then... you typically the kick the puppy evil character.
    Yes, this game is pretty good, fun and popular and pretty much successful so far (even too much considering the terrific amount of server updates) but it does look like they never expected to get big (what's the end game ?) thus their plan for the futur of this game could actually be only some light content updates (little spends) massive cosmetic adds (great gains) and let it lives its own life thx to the community with the foundery...

Raids seem to be the direction for end game, already a 20 vs 20 pvp type coming soon, end game will be typical mmo end game, much to my own disappointment.... I was hoping for a primary focus on 5 man content as that was more true to D&D but end game is coming. With foundry will be tons of endless content seriously as far as content and design goes...i feel this game is solid. The game itself is not the problem...

So can gripe on how its " not D&D " all you like, but it is VERY true to actual source material that is 4e...
  • Options
    v41n92v41n92 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to point out that it's the best F2P MMO I played so far. Fast-paced combat, nice and mature graphics, no grinding at all. But to be honest, there are a lot of things that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> me off on a daily basis. The item shop is one of them. You really have to pay for everything in this game once you hit endgame. Companions, Wards, Mounts, Respecs, Slots, Bags, Cosmetics... It's disgusting. And it completely destroys all sense of immersion and fun because you constantly get reminded to throw all your money at PWE. The game itself is fine for the early stages though.

But item shop is not the only thing bothering me. There's a huge lack of challenge throughout the game. Even in the harder dungeons the bosses really don't do anything but to create red spots and repetitive waves of adds. No need to read any guides, to prepare in any thinkable way or to position yourself wisely since you will keep evading throughout the whole fight anyway. IMO this is really boring. PvP encourages AFK-people since you get your daily anyway and the whole game revolves around pathetically getting that puny amounts of AD you can make without paying real money. Crafting is also completely useless, because it never catches up with your level. NEVER. It takes ages to skill, especially since you have to upgrade FOUR assets into ONE asset of higher rank. What happens to the other 3? Do they die? Do they perform lethal combat in my honor and only the winner gets to be the rank 3 weaver who crafts **** with useless stats for me? Bull****! Balancing is also quite an issue at this early stage of the game and of course there are always bugs and unfinished stuff to be found. All in all i really can't get why anyone should pay such ****loads of money for a game like this, lol. But i'm glad you all like it, i did too at some point.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    v41n92 wrote: »
    Crafting is also completely useless, because it never catches up with your level. NEVER.

My crafting is well ahead of my level.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    merlinreyn wrote: »
    I agree. You can really tell a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into creating this game. It has to be one of the best MMO's to be released as of late. I've played almost all of them since WoW and this game puts them all to shame.

Easy now bronco billy boy!

Still whole lotta luv' that has to be fixed before id call this game a "shameputter".
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jramsay31 wrote: »
    I first made this post last night in the /r/mmorpg subreddit, but also wanted to share it here. It was written early this morning, after an unexpected gaming binge...

8 hours ago I stumbled upon this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHyljJ8hUJ4.

I've been playing it ever since

Before I thought posting here was a consideration, I found myself writing down the reasons why I was having fun. I made a list:
    • Intuitive. Everything about this game feels very fluid, very intuitive. The way my abilities worked on their own and together, the key bindings, the minimalist UI, adventuring...

• Baldurs Gates meets GW2. Game-world unlike any other I've experienced in an mmo- the feel of a Baldurs Gate/ Demon Souls, but multiplayer in every aspect. The questing zones are intuitive and encourage multiplayer play, but it's up to the player to group with others. The classes fill unique enough roles for grouping to be a pleasant, more filling experience.

• Storytelling- The dialogue cinematics were not cringed at. In fact, I looked forward to them. Having my last mmo being gw2, not having a voice assigned to my character felt freeing. I struggled connecting with my Norn Necromancer because the voice and character was not what I wanted, but decided by the system.

• Complete immersion. If you appreciate sound, soundscapes, you'll find yourself welcoming the immersion created by their impact here. The game world feels genuine and alive. This blends well with a unique refreshing mechanic- HP doesn't naturally regenerate. And when your HP gets low, your screen gets darker as the sounds around you are deafened by a thumping heartbeat. Campfires found at the scarcely located safe zones changes this. While your character replenishes his health with each pulse of warm campfire ambiance you notice a sense of calm- the music is soft, the conversation around you muffled and chill, and the fire crackles throughout it all- all this detail went into the sound alone. To heightened this effect, the moment you step outside of your campfire, the music gets tense, the color palette gets dark around you, and the sound effects get straight up creepy. This game is amazingly atmospheric, which I really appreciate since it's a D&D title.

TL;DR Totally surprised by Neverwinter. Journaled my immediate reflections and thought this subreddit may be interested.

Could not have said it better myself, especially the second bullet-point.

Ignore the constant cash-shop complainers, this game is going to be massively successful with or without them.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    daowacedaowace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jramsay31 wrote: »
    Baldurs Gates meets WoW.

FTFY.

Vanilla WoW at that; as the game lacks pretty much every improvement made to MMORPGs since pre-BC WoW.
  • Options
    wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    daowace wrote: »
    FTFY.

Vanilla WoW at that; as the game lacks pretty much every improvement made to MMORPGs since pre-BC WoW.

what improvements? mmo's really started to suck real hard right around the release of BC, though. so your point is actually supporting the OP's. in my opinion they started to suck right around the time eq died off...
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I wish I could put a heart on the original post. I feel a great deal the same as you do. The world is alive. My horse rides like a real horse. My cape billows when I run. My robes swirl and float when I jump. I love it and I am hopelessly hooked.

I had hoped for a nice tan this summer.. Looks like I will have to settle for monitor-glow. ^^
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    daschla wrote: »
    I wish I could put a heart on the original post. I feel a great deal the same as you do. The world is alive. My horse rides like a real horse. My cape billows when I run. My robes swirl and float when I jump. I love it and I am hopelessly hooked.

I had hoped for a nice tan this summer.. Looks like I will have to settle for monitor-glow. ^^

did they fix the cloak clipping issues??
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It comes and goes. I expect that it's something that will be sorted out in the future. For the most part though, I have not had much of a problem.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree, nice write up.
  • Options
    nesh666nesh666 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm happy for the OP, but ... (as GW2 and GW, LOTR, STO, RoM, WoW, SWTOR, ... player too)

I'm only ~10hrs in and already starting to ... less enjoy it
    • root when casting -- I can understand when having "real" skill bars but with this setup WTH!?
    • story ... meh ... walls and walls of text, kill 10 rats and run back ... if one is ok with that there are much better games than this one
    • pure (not even hidden) vertical grind ... no thanks, and even "grind" won't help you, only $$ can
    • daily stupidities, just to make illusion that one can play it for free -- demo, yes, play, yeah sure ;)
    • lots and lots of badly integrated "copy and paste" systems from different places without adding nothing
    • mediocre engine and GFX which surprisingly having higher load than much more graphical "heavy" games -- same with STO so they probably used same base for engine
    • character / armor models -- clones everywhere
    • hack and slash!?? really!?? I'd rather play Torchlight if I want that
    • useless in game currency, what's the point of gold?
    • P(2)W ;) ... nuff said -- I played a LOT F2P games so it become (too)easy to recognize it

And one which tops everything else: good old' s#<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game starts at end game with raids, dungeons, whatever so hurry and skip to end to start playing (with part of the community to match) ... been there, done that, got wiser and stopped.

Even if they went P2P (or at least B2P) it won't help -- as visible also in other F2P, core game mechanic revolves about pushing people into cash shop and that means deliberately dumbed down/grindy/needlessly long gameplay to promote "convenience" items from the shop.

At least SWTOR had "some" innovation with storytelling, here ... dunno. I'll try it for a little more as some classes looks interesting if I manage somehow to "ignore" <country> grinder feel in game.

STO is a nice game, not for long consumption, but still nice, but this one do not look that will have that ... its just yet another (almost) generic fantasy MMO grinder in between thousands of similar ones.
    daowace wrote: »

QFT
  • Options
    nismunismu Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    well for the rooted while casting they had a good reason and have to say i think it brings some feeling to fight.
    if they had made it attack while moving they would have had to make enemies attack really fast so dodging attacks wouldnt be trivial. with this system it is more about choosing between attack or avoiding.
  • Options
    musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Then you have never played 4e D&D then,...

No, I stopped more than 10 years ago, with the second or maybe the third edition, and I didn't like what they were doing at this time already.
    Once again, 4e pretty much removed alignments, and ability to be evil.

This is a shame : it made all the originality and deep immersion of this game, thus it's no more a roles playing game but a pal & associates playing game.
    Raids seem to be the direction for end game, already a 20 vs 20 pvp type coming soon, end game will be typical mmo end game, much to my own disappointment.... I was hoping for a primary focus on 5 man content as that was more true to D&D but end game is coming. With foundry will be tons of endless content seriously as far as content and design goes...i feel this game is solid. The game itself is not the problem...

So can gripe on how its " not D&D " all you like, but it is VERY true to actual source material that is 4e...

That's good if you like this 4th edition whatnot, thing is : old farts like me don't. Good to know they have some plan yet but still the major new content additions will come from the foundry thus the community, not the devs. I really feel like it will not take off like DDO, and probably not made to take off anw, because the real challenge is not in the game itself but in accumulating AD enough to get what you need/want without spending no/too much real money.
  • Options
    nullptrnullptr Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    They game is really nice and the combat has the most fuild feel of any game I have played so far, comparing with Tera and Reckoning.
    The only bad part is the F2P, instead of having F2P or subscription.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The game itself is amazing.

The cash shop is just extremely poorly-implemented.
    ^ What he said.

I'm really liking this game, and I have no problem with f2p but the model PW are using just seems shady as hell.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    jramsay31jramsay31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Firstly, I respect everyone's opinion on this thread, but I find the axe grinding by some to be a bit odd. No one here is right or wrong- some like it, some don't. I accept that other's don't, and since you're responding to this thread accept that I do?
    maho4200 wrote: »
    ^ What he said.

I'm really liking this game, and I have no problem with f2p but the model PW are using just seems shady as hell.

I haven't encountered an issue where the cash shop feels shady, what have you noticed?

My observations so far is the cash shop sells quality of life + cosmetic items, and that crafting seems to be naturally slow to promote instant leveling through the cash shop.
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just do yourself a favor and dont look at item shop, or expect to do end game with out a significant investment in the game. Might wanna take out a small loan... to be able to afford all the wards you'll need to do end game content. As much as i am loving the game i fear once i hit end game i will lost all interest...

Its a sad state of affairs now that people actually "believe" you need to spend lots of $$ to do end game. I've spent $30 on zen to get another bag and some keys. Nothing I bought was to make my character itself any better, other then cosmetics. I have a gs of 10891 as a DC and I am destroying end game content right meow.

Cheers!
  • Options
    sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game is awesome.
    Most of the biggest complains, will be fixed in time too, like the crappy LFG system, the pvp afk or the pvp kicks without reason.

The problem is the paying system won't be changed, because it is working as intended. And it is horrible. Subscription mmos are ok, mictrotransaction games can be made ok too. But this one is one of the worst systems I've seen.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    merlinreyn wrote: »

Hahaha I love people when their in their first 2 weeks of a new game... when that feeling of novelty is so strong.

Please save these posts until you have been 60 for a week or more and see the problems with this game.

yes it was a welcomed breathe of fresh air when first playing it. Just like people said about Aion, AoC, Warhammer, STO, SWTOR, Rift, Fallen Earth, Tera, Earthrise, etc....

We'll see when the pivotal 90-day mark gets here.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »
    I agree love the game and you can tell the devs have sat around a few times and played D&D around a table.
    I once had Gary Gygax's email and I asked him when Neverwinter nights came out If he knew about the game and how D&D changes with new technology and he was not keen on what he had seen because of the limitations of computers and that the imagination has no bounds but If Gary had been alive today and played this game Iam sure he would a given it the thumbs up.
    You can never beat the tabletop sessions with pals but this game does come a close second.

This is nothing like tabletop D&D. Not 1ED. Not 2ED. Not 3 or 3.5. Not 4E.