test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wait... Gold has no point being in the game? Really?!

blackfire001blackfire001 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I'm in the middle of writing up my review of the game. And I've gone over this point enough times its still bugs me enough to make a post about it.

Gold has no value or point in the game. And I hate to break it to anyone who thinks otherwise, but find me a vender that sells teir 2 60 gear for gold.

Here is what gets me most. Everything of value is transferred in Astro Diamonds. You convert Zen into Astro Diamonds and visa versa. You buy gear with Astro Diamonds. Hell even the Auction house uses Astro Diamonds...
You know most people generally use the auction house as the basis of what the games main currency is. So excuse me for thinking gold is pointless when you can't even use it in the Auction house.

Who's idea was this? Was it Cryptics? Was it Perfect worlds when they took over Cryptic? (This is my favorite assumption)

OH but WAIT! You can buy a +50% speed mount for 5 gold. WOOHOO!.... . . . yay... um... yea.
You know what, give me an option to convert gold into Astro diamonds too. Just give it a reason to exist. Thats all I ask.
Post edited by blackfire001 on

Comments

• tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gold has no value or point in the game. And I hate to break it to anyone who thinks otherwise, but find me a vender that sells teir 2 60 gear for gold.

So what? That's not what gold is for. It's for potions and kits, and you should be using potions, because if you aren't, you are a bad player. It's also used to buy crafting items, skill kits, mounts, companions, non-cap gear and i'm probably forgetting a few things. Gold doesn't buy T2? Why the heck should it? O_o
  • emaloreemalore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    Gold is being used for kits(both profession and injury) and potions.

Does it belong? That's debatable.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gold lets you buy basic stuff - weapons, armor, profession materials, potions, etc. All your necessities are there, so I don't really see what's the problem.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ikagawaikagawa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 106
    edited May 2013
    Gold keeps me from using AD to buy base items. So it has a point, you just disagree with it.
  • gthsoragthsora Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gold DOES have value. It is just that each piece of gold is worth less than Astral Diamond which is worth less than Zen. Probably a bit negligible compared to Astral Diamonds and Zen but it is there. They are used to buy all the more basic stuff, so I do agree that a large portion of the game is more based around AD and Zen currency.
  • datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I disagree with the OP.
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP-

If gold has no point, please feel free to send me all your gold. Somehow I'm running out of the worthless stuff buying potions and injury kits.
  • lordhordelordhorde Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    Doing it this way cuts gold farmers/site spammers out pretty much. It`s not a bad idea but you to be able to get more gold ingame to keep being able to buy potions and kits because at lvl 60 they cost a lot compared to what you make to sustain yourself.
  • dreadkatakdreadkatak Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, the problem with it is that you'll have more than you'll ever need in less than a week of play. A proper currency should be useable in enough ways that you can't get enough of it.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The only value I see that it has are buying loads of potions, which everyone should do..sorry just dont rely on the godamn cleric.
    Or your first mount(s).

Also some profession mats.
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope whoever reads his review and doesn't play NW gets cancer because such a person who hasn't explored the game enough to know what gold is for, can't possibly write a good review.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you couldn't buy potions and such with gold then you'd have 80% of the players crying about p2w because they have to use astral diamonds to buy stuff. Yes, 80%. That's an actual statistical FACT!
  • blackfire001blackfire001 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Buying potions... But I get a metric **** ton at 60 already.
    Kits? I never die.
    Crafting mats? Who the hell crafts besides Leadership. And you get plenty if you time your rewards for the bonus hour.

Hell you get purple gear from just pvping to 60. Which currently is loads faster then any other means. :\
    And yea this game is so far in the grey on P2W if it sneezes wrong it may as well be World of Tanks.

Gold is in but compared to the real currency "Astro Diamonds" (yes I'm calling them Astro for a reason go read a **** book if you want to know why.) There is simply no reason for it. Its minor. The Diamonds are what matters.
  • aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You sir dont use potions, or lost me at cant buy T2 gear.
  • haiidahaiida Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've used gold to buy kits and health pots, I'd be more then welcome to say **** gold and go with nothing but AD, the market has already inflated in 2 weeks with bugs/exploits so doesn't matter at this point
    edited May 2013
    Potions for PVE? This super freaking easy PvE? Really?

I'd use them for PvP but you have to use the real currency. You know the one that has value.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Health Pots
    Injury Kits
    Craft mats from vendor

That is what we spend gold on at Lv60.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Uhm... somehow im running out of gold doing never and T2 couse basically at the end fight you will use your potion when you have the ability to (most of the times). Besides that an injury kit costs 20s... and as a CW i can get 1 shoted by an endgame boss, or 2 shoted by some skills that i fail to dodge... so no, Gold is in fact required, and actually i am happy to trade some basic T2 dungeon stuff for gold... Meaning i dont have to grind for the gold and i can do much more T2 dungeons in the time i would grind the money ><
  • tvalaltvalal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    Uhm... somehow im running out of gold doing never and T2 couse basically at the end fight you will use your potion when you have the ability to (most of the times). Besides that an injury kit costs 20s... and as a CW i can get 1 shoted by an endgame boss, or 2 shoted by some skills that i fail to dodge... so no, Gold is in fact required, and actually i am happy to trade some basic T2 dungeon stuff for gold... Meaning i dont have to grind for the gold and i can do much more T2 dungeons in the time i would grind the money ><

Same here, i trade purple for gold when i get low as i dont want to farm it.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tvalal wrote: »
    Same here, i trade purple for gold when i get low as i dont want to farm it.

I've traded nearly everything for gold. I hate to admite but I'd love to have a weekly Lv60 quest that offers 20g. even if it's head to epic dungeon xxxx and kill (last boss).
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I'm in the middle of writing up my review of the game. And I've gone over this point enough times its still bugs me enough to make a post about it.

Here is what gets me most. Everything of value is transferred in Astro Diamonds. You convert Zen into Astro Diamonds and visa versa. You buy gear with Astro Diamonds. Hell even the Auction house uses Astro Diamonds...
    You know most people generally use the auction house as the basis of what the games main currency is. So excuse me for thinking gold is pointless when you can't even use it in the Auction house.

Who's idea was this? Was it Cryptics? Was it Perfect worlds when they took over Cryptic? (This is my favorite assumption)

OH but WAIT! You can buy a +50% speed mount for 5 gold. WOOHOO!.... . . . yay... um... yea.
    You know what, give me an option to convert gold into Astro diamonds too. Just give it a reason to exist. Thats all I ask.

I have to admit the overall amount of different "currencies" is both immersion breaking and literally a clear car salesman approach to the cash shop- I was offended as a designer to see they even "force" you to look at the zen shop as part of the quest lines to complete.

It reeks of low quality eastern game method.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • lollielollie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too bad OP - you're a grinder, and you get to sleep in the dogbox.
  • srikandi715srikandi715 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have to admit the overall amount of different "currencies" is both immersion breaking and literally a clear car salesman approach to the cash shop- i was offended as a designer to see they even "force" you to look at the zen shop as part of the quest lines to complete.

qft ^^^^^^^^^^
    edited May 2013
    I have to admit the overall amount of different "currencies" is both immersion breaking and literally a clear car salesman approach to the cash shop- I was offended as a designer to see they even "force" you to look at the zen shop as part of the quest lines to complete.

It reeks of low quality eastern game method.

Nice to see I'm not alone on this perspective from other people in the industry.

What gets me was this games had SOOOO MUCH potential.
    All they needed to do was combine DDO + 4th edition + guildwar2 + the current combat style and they would have had the most amazing game I could think of currently.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So you're doing a review of the game and you don't even know why gold is so valuable at end game?
  • porpoisealertporpoisealert Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 86
    edited May 2013
    I tend to agree with the OP. I'm not in the endgame yet (just hit 50 today) but up to this point I've spent maybe 2 gold total on kits and pots. It would be more like 7 if I hadn't gotten a Founder's mount, but really I can't imagine spending anything like the amount of gold I pick up. I'm hovering around 25 gold at level 50 and kits/pots are just not that expensive (including the level 60 stuff.) I seriously doubt gold drops any slower at level 60. I just don't get the point.

Further, there are what, 7 kinds of currency in this game? They could have easily done away with gold and trade bars at the very least. AD, Seals, Glory and Zen would have been enough.
  • supanovasupanova Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just wish I could use gold to buy identify scrolls and town teleport.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gold has value, as I have seen people wanting to trade 1 key for 25 gold. so 25 gold = $1.50
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You die in epic dungeons. Each death costs 20 silver. Now add the number of the highest potions on top of that.
  • protocol87protocol87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    OP-

If gold has no point, please feel free to send me all your gold. Somehow I'm running out of the worthless stuff buying potions and injury kits.

Hope you don't need too many kits! I've only needed 3 or 4 from 1-22.

Love using the professional kits though. Hope I end up using all these crafting material somebody!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Loki < The Illuminati > 60 - Control Wizard
    Protocol 60 - Great Weapon Fighter