test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PVP Cleric Discussion / Build / Theorycraft Thread!

lim3yylim3yy Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Temple
There doesn't seem to be a lot of PVP content for clerics in here so I'm going to start a thread, hopefully we can get some good info!

My current build is for max AoE heals / buffs / debuffs. I've found that it's super hard to single target heal and it's easier to just drop AoE's and stay mobile rather than kiting enemies and being kited by my teammates.

My Build Breakdown:

Skills

Encounter Powers:

-Divine Glow
Very good spell for doing a bit of damage here and there, and with a really long range it can sometimes net you a last hit on an enemy who can double dodge his way out. I use it 98% of the time for the buff / debuff. The 5% Damage Resist Debuff / Buff (Buff in Divinity) in either an AoE on Friendlies/Enemies/Combination of both, or Single Target on Friendlies/Enemies makes it one of the most versatile and useful spells you have.

-Bastion of Health
Powerful AoE Heal on a < 2 second cast time, or improved Heal on instant cast (Divinity). Need I say more? This spell is clutch, or more clutch no matter which way you look at it.

-Astral Shield
This is by far the most important and vital skill you can have as a Cleric. The ability to throw down an AoE HoT that also increases Damage Resist Buff by 20% on top of the base amount is nuts. You’ll be able to heal through most Dungeon trash mob pulls by just throwing down Astral Shield when it’s off CD. I can’t stress enough how much you need to pick up this spell, even if you’re not focusing on healing.

At Will:

-Sacred Flame
This spell generates Divine Power extremely fast as well as giving teammates in a radius temporary hit points (which can in turn improve how much they receive from your heals depending on how you skill your Paragon Points). Since I am focusing on healing and not damaging I’m not looking at picking up skills that do a lot of damage, and this one allows me to get off a couple short bursts and generate a lot of Divine Power so I can immediately go back to healing.

-Astral Shield
A must have as well. With a long duration you can target a couple people with this and it’ll dish out some small heals, but it’s noticeable, believe me! This isn’t going to be a main focus of damage or healing, but you can set it and forget it and it does the most to benefit the team of any other At-Will spells.

Dailies:

-Hallowed Ground
I’m serious about AoE Buffs / Debuffs!!! Another 10% on top of the base of this spell, when you drop all these AoE’s together you’re looking at quite a lot of Debuff for them and Buff for you.

-Divine Armor
Divine Armor and Hallowed Ground are very similar, the difference being Divine Armor is defensive, giving Temporary Hit Points rather than a Damage Buff.

Class Features:
Class Features are probably the toughest decision I had to make, as there are 4 that are all equally viable so I’ll cover all 4 and let you decide!

-Healer’s Lore
15% heals is a pretty good amount, not much else to say on that! 15% is 15%!

-Foresight
A flat 2% damage reduction, combined with 4% Damage Resist Buff onto your healing targets (which yes includes all your AoE heals) is very good.

-Divine Fortune
When you’re an AoE healer it’s really hard to generate Divine Power through your At-Will abilities, which is why this is such a strong Class Feature. Unfortunately I think it’s bugged as it doesn’t work while in Divinity form so you can only get Divine Power when you’re in normal form, which isn’t very often. Also some spells don’t trigger the Divine Power bonus, like Astral Shield, which doesn’t necessarily render the Class Feature useless, but I use Healer’s Lore and Foresight over it.

-Prophetic Action
Blocks an attack every 60 seconds. This is the weakest of these 4, as you could block a 300 dmg Magic Missile and then die to a 20k crit from a TR the next attack, but I’m sure over the course of a couple games this feat would save your life a couple of times.

Feats
There are SO many great powers here that it’s a real tough job trying to only put 20 points into, but I’ll throw out what I did, and why.

Tier 1

Greater Fortune 3/3
I think this one is a no brainer, Wisdom is your main stat, and healing your main job, so something that increases one
by the other, DUH!!!

Toughness 3/3
9% Hit Points is a good amount at max level, and when you’ll undoubtedly be the focus of attacks at some point or another having a lot of them can only help.

Tier 2

Domain Synergy 4/5
I think that Recovery is the second best stat right at 60, and the more geared you get the better it becomes, until it eclipses Power as the best stat (More later!). I think therefore that you should get a lot of this Feat!

Tier 3

Repurpose Soul 3/3
I’m honestly not really psyched about this tier. I think all the options are pretty weak as compared to others. All though with enough heals going out a 15% heal in a small AoE is pretty good.

Initiate of the Faith 2/5
Not hyped on crit really, but you could take this one up to all 4 points, as I highly recommend at least 1 point in Repurpose Soul.

Tier 4

Cleanse 1/3
This is a really good spell, as it can be triggered by your AoE, so if you’re SUPER lucky you could get 5 Cleanses on a single Bastion of Health. I only put 1 point in this because I wanted to put more in Bountiful Fortune, but you could easily put more into this and at a 10% jump each time I wouldn’t find fault with that choice.

Bountiful Fortune 4/5
Divine Power is the most important aspect of this build, and of any Cleric build I believe so maxing this with whatever points you have remaining is essential.

Paragon Powers
Much like the Feats, Paragon Paths are really wide open to whatever you want to do. To be a healer I think the Faithful and Righteous Paths are the most powerful, the Virtuous ‘Main Power’ is damage oriented so it’s not as viable. I find myself using a lot of Divine Power so I choice the Faithful path as it gives another ‘Charge’ to your Divine Power allowing you to have 4 rather than 3, which is one more ability in a fight. The final thought that went into my decision was Sovereign Justice (the Righteous Path ‘Main Power’) keeps you from being as mobile as to get the most out of it you need to roam with 2 others at least, whereas the 4th Divine Power slot allows you roam with another person and get much more out of it. Outside this path I have as follows for Feats.

Virtuous
Tier 1

Rising Hope 1/5
The extra Recovery and Power is pretty clutch, and going in and out of Divine Mode a lot makes this a pretty consistent buff, and 30 seconds is about how long most PVP encounters last.

Faithful
Tier 1

Enduring Relief 5/5
You’ll be in Divine Mode for the majority of the fights so this is a must.
If you want, putting a point into Deepstone Blessing for the extra heals on targets with Temporary Hit Points could be beneficial.

Tier 2

Benefit of Foresight 5/5
No reason not to put points into this if you’re going to use Foresight. An extra 5% on top of the 4% you give allies makes this a really strong Feat.

Linked Spirit 5/5
With all these AoE heals I’m specing into, this again is a no brainer. 5% of my stats (with the max ones being Power and Recovery, which amounts to 187 Power and 138 Recovery (I still have 2 blue’s and a green equipped which are garbage) and those numbers are nothing to sneeze at.

Tier 3

Invigorated Healing 5/5
This Feat is proced by two of my AoE spells making it, again, a no brainer.
-If you’re going into a Temporary Hit Point focused build put some points into Power of Life but I would definitely keep at least 2 to 3 points in Invigorated Healing.

Tier 4

Mark of Mending 5/5
With use of Healer’s Lore this turns the ability from a 50/50 with Divine Fortune to being incredibly good. Bumping up my heals by another 5% to a whopping 20% buff, and adding 5% of my Recovery to Power (138), very viable and useful spell if you’re going to use Healer’s Lore.

Moon Touched 4/5
This makes it so anyone who wants to fight against your team in Hallowed Ground is ruined. Seriously, try this build and head to the 2 point right at the start and throw down Hallowed Ground, your AoE spells. You could take a 4v5 with ease if you’re geared all right.

Tier 5

Greater Divine Power 1/1
As I mentioned earlier, this makes you a better Cleric, without doubt. It makes everything you do easier, and allows you to do more of it. It lets you be more mobile as you don’t need a constant stream of At-Will hits to keep your Divine Power up, but also lets you sustain longer in big engagements.

Stat Prioritization
Power -> Recovery -> Deflection/Defense -> The Rest
At beginning stages of end game I believe Power to be easily the best stat you can get. Power will buff up your heal’s and after all that's the point of this build, to heal! Also it will help your DPS, but in this build I'm not focused on DPS'ing and getting kills. That being said, anything you can add to the group in terms of damage will be helpful. Also Power is a very easy stat to stack as it comes on most of the gear you'll find.
After a certain point, increasing Power will start to suffer from diminishing returns in game play. At a certain point your Astral Shield will be able to keep people up through regular sustained DPS, I'm healing for around 430 HPS in the circle, and if my team is fighting in the circle I rarely have to drop my instant AoE heal (during sustained DPS skirmishes). Your Power, and therefore HPS numbers, will stay on par with the sustained DPS numbers the enemy team can put out. What you'll have to worry about is burst damage coming out from Trickster Rogues, and Control Wizards. Moderate sustained heals will never be able to keep an ally up through 10k+ crits coming out of TR's and CW's. This is where recovery comes in. Focusing on stacking up Recovery will allow you to keep Bastion of Health off cooldown so you can drop them more liberally, rather than waiting for the big crit to come in. Also your Daily can really turn the tide of any fight and stacking recovery lets you be more liberal in dropping a Hallowed Ground.

Lastly it's a bit of a toss-up between Deflection and Defense. I have Deflection ahead of Defense for the same reasons that I have Recovery eclipsing Power at a certain point. Your Astral Shield (as long as you stand inside it...) will do a really good job of keeping you up along with Bastion of Health if you're getting focused. As I said prior, a 10k+ crit can really put a damper on your day and life, and having seen crits upwards of 24k coming out of TR's, having the ability to deflect a good amount of that damage, I think, is crucial, especially because Clerics are such strong healers at later stages and depending on how you build them can be easy to stick on top of and nuke down.

You can make up your mind on the rest of the stats, I don't really have a preference with any of them, but I would say that Crit would be your best bet, as it does work on heals, but without casting heals very often I don't think it's worth it over any of the aforementioned stats.

Play Style:

1: The More the Merrier!
This style is the most effective when you have a handful of people around that way you can heal all of them at once. This setup is pretty mobile and with decently low cooldowns on your abilities you can stay mobile and move around, cap, ninja cap, and defend points. You could make simple changes to the build, add in a [CC] for example and become more aggressive rather than following around your buddies. At the end of the day this build relies on big AoE's to take man fights to the other team and bull rush cap points, and then once you have them allows you to be mobile and move around with one or two teammates and dig in until reinforcements arrive.

2: Location, Location, Location!
Be very cognizant of where you place down your heals as it will dictate where the fight takes place. In many senses you are the leader of the team! For example if your team is capping or defending 2 (the middle point), if you place your Astral Shield closer to your spawn, you're in a more defensive position, will allow your team to be safer, but limits your ability to cap / hold. Also it severely limits where your melee fighters can be as they'll need to stay closer to the Shield, and any movement they take past the point can be severely punished. However, if you put the Shield towards their side it allows your team to extend a lot farther to chase them off the point, as they really can't fight in the circle at all, so they're either forced to fight off the point which allows you to cap the point, or keep getting points if you already hold it, or they're forced to fight on your side of the map, which is just the worst idea ever and would be a move of pure desperation.

3: It's the Little Things That Make the Big Things Possible
Aside from throwing out your big heals, there are SO many little things that you can do as a Cleric that can really turn the tide of battle. Micromanaging enemies and knowing what debuffs are on who can easily turn the tide of a battle.
By having your Astral Seal on as many targets as possible, you're ensuring a constant flow of heals to all your team. I've seen it countless times, a TR running around in stealth with less than 5k health and his Daily up. With an Astral Seal debuff the TR can do massive amounts of damage, and heal himself up, where if Astral Seal wasn't down and the TR came out of stealth, it'd be a lot easier to kill him and keep the target alive.
Knowing when you can stay in normal form to cast a spell rather than jumping into Divinity form is a game winner without question. Divine Power will have its own section next so I won't get into it here, but most of the time unless your party is in really dire straits or you're getting heavily focuses, you won't need to go into Divinity to drop a spell. For example, Bastion of Health's channeling time will be low enough that you won't get interrupted usually, and if you're team isn't barely clinging to life it will be enough to keep them nicely topped off. By not using it in Divinity you save a lot of precious Divine Power, but also keep the spell on cooldown. Lastly managing debuffs and buffs are another crucial point. With Divine Glow you can either focus on giving enemies debuffs or your allies buffs. Knowing when to pop Divinity and drop Divine Glow on your CW or TR who's about to go ham on an enemy, or drop it on your GF or GWF who's duking it out with an enemy TR/GF/GWF, or when to just drop it on an enemy CW or Cleric is something that you'll have to play around with and depends on the team comp and who you're playing with. But just be mindful that there is no one best scenario on using it, and there are TONS of uses of it, and a misuse could cost you the point you're trying to cap or defend!

4: Divine Management
Managing your Divine Power is one of the most crucial things you can do in any build. This build favors it heavily as it allows you to make a huge impact on a fight, and you can even do decent DPS with it! My reasoning (as stated above) for using Sacred Flame is twofold. It's a very fast attack and allows you to build up Divine Power very quickly (Especially with the 4 Piece bonus from the PVP set [20% Divine Power Generation]). In addition to fast Divine Power generation, it gives out temporary hit points within a radius. This coupled with Sacred Flame makes it easy to keep yourself up, and add onto the substantial HPS of your Astral Shield. Your focus in big fights should be keeping your Astral Shield on the ground, and throwing down Bastion of Health and Divine Glow whenever they're off CD, then putting up Astral Seal on targets to help your team, at this point is when you should be looking to start spamming Sacred Flame. The one substitution you can make easily is if your team isn’t taking heavy damage, and then between Astral Seal mini-heals and the temporary hit points from Sacred Flame you should be able to keep your team up without the use of Bastion of Health. Also you should try to keep your Divine Power above the 2+ mark just so if you’re in a bind and you can’t get many of your At-Will powers off you’ll be able to heal your team through the engagement.

Final Thoughts:
I haven’t really experimented a lot with other class builds as I don’t really want to throw money into respecing my character, nor do I have the patience to level up another Cleric just to mess with things. I’ve messed with a lot of other Encounter Powers and none of them really seem to be as useful on a consistent basis. There are a handful of things that are very situational, but for the maps and game-type now, my build is tried and true and pretty **** good if you ask me! Clerics are a lot of fun, and can be an unstoppable force if you build and play your character right!

Final Final Thoughts:
Thanks all for reading this, I really hope that this inspires people to work with their own builds, tweak them, delve in deeper to the class and really think about things and really get to a point where their builds are strong as hell! I stream a lot of PVP and some PVE on my twitch account at www.twitch.tv/k1w1FTW, you can follow me on twitter at @k1w1ftw, in-game I can be reached at Ilyana@lim3yy on Beholder where I am the GM of <Pv*****> (think inappropriate male bits ;) ) which is a PVP’ing guild and were always looking for more members to run premades! Thanks again for reading this and please pick this apart!! The game is super new and I’d love to hear other thoughts on what I’ve compiled!!!

-Ilyana
(This turned out to be 7 pages in Word so for those who read through the whole thing, ty :3 )
Post edited by lim3yy on

Comments

• Options
    sandcatssandcats Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very comprehensive guide. Well done!
  • Options
    sauciflard1sauciflard1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have almost the same build, and i focus both on power and recovery (even if i put a lot of points in str).

For pvp, i find almost all paragon feats not so useful (except foresight and HG). We gain 5% here and there but it has a little impact in pvp.
    It's so easy to build up divinity power that i don't need a 4th DP bar.
  • Options
    noxzwotanoxzwota Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My skills

At wills: Astral Seal, Brand of the Sun
    Encounter: AS, FF, Break the Spirit
    Daily: HG, FS
    Passives: Healer's Lore, Holy Fervor (if i had feats for Foresight i would use it :/)

This setup is great for 1v1 on towers.
    I keep my HG for bigger fights (this skill is most important for the 1st encounter on 2 tower).
    I try to dot with BotS and Seal everything that is in range.
    AS and FF on cooldown always from Divine.

Stats are focused on crit and recovery.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I added the guide to the Master List of Class Builds! :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have almost the same build, and i focus both on power and recovery (even if i put a lot of points in str).

For pvp, i find almost all paragon feats not so useful (except foresight and HG). We gain 5% here and there but it has a little impact in pvp.
    It's so easy to build up divinity power that i don't need a 4th DP bar.

Yeah I mean it's definitely a toss up, I ended up going with the Faithful Path mostly because the Righteous path requires you to be a crit monster to get the most out of the path. And the 4th power is pretty helpful in being mobile, I can hang out and be active and mobile without having to worry about charging up my divine power.

imivo wrote: »
    I added the guide to the Master List of Class Builds! :)

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    raulns88raulns88 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, this build is based on WIS and CHA ?
  • Options
    akula69akula69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is pretty much the direction I took my cleric in and am loving the playstyle. I never understood other guides reluctance to use Sacred Flame. Sure you're not going to melt faces, but it does what it should, hits fast and quickly builds Divine Power. The extra HPs is a bonus. I tried BotS but is simply drove me nuts to use, and really hurt my ability to keep DP up (maybe I just am using it wrong).

Forgemaster Flame(in DF) is a staple of mine and I don't see me replacing it with Divine Glow, but maybe you can sell that encounter a bit more to show me the error of my ways.
  • Options
    solacefflsolaceffl Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Current Setup:

At wills: Astral Seal, Sacred Flame
    Encounter: Astral Shield, Forgemaster Flame/Bastion(Normally only with a premade), Sun Burst. Chains of Blazing is also a very viable spell but it's situational. Sometimes it's great sometimes it's useless.
    Daily: Divine Armour, Guardian of Faith
    Passives: Healer's Lore, Prophetic Action.

I went all the way down the Righteous Heroic Feats for the heal on hit because of how often I'm going to be focused. Gainging 100% Increased Stamina Regen and some Temp Life when crit is also amazing for kiting/dodging (Combined with Divine Power Sun Burst) I didn't bother getting Domain Synergy Feat at all, I grabbed Holy Resolve and it's probably one of the best DC Feats out of all of them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    raulns88 wrote: »
    So, this build is based on WIS and CHA ?

I split my skill points pretty evenly between CHA and STR actually. I have 4 bonus points in each, but I started with higher CHA so the end result is STR-16, WIS-24, CHA-20. Having the Stam regen has been pretty helpful as you spend half your time kiting enemies around the tower so being able to dodge a lot is nice.
    akula69 wrote: »
    This is pretty much the direction I took my cleric in and am loving the playstyle. I never understood other guides reluctance to use Sacred Flame. Sure you're not going to melt faces, but it does what it should, hits fast and quickly builds Divine Power. The extra HPs is a bonus. I tried BotS but is simply drove me nuts to use, and really hurt my ability to keep DP up (maybe I just am using it wrong).

Forgemaster Flame(in DF) is a staple of mine and I don't see me replacing it with Divine Glow, but maybe you can sell that encounter a bit more to show me the error of my ways.

I've had a few people now say that they use FF and I'm gonna have to check it out. I have it maxed out, so I'll be able to give a decent assessment on it, but my preliminary ideas are as follows. It's a spell that I feel is only powerful when used in Divine Mode, and that's going to take away from burst heals of BoH and the sustained heals of Astral Shield. If you're using it on it's own the only thing it does is slow, and as I mentioned in the guide, I don't think a cleric should bother with CC spells as every other class has much more useful ones that compliment the rest of their abilities. I'm not saying that a slow is a bad thing, but I think the fact that it doesn't do much in normal mode, therefore basically needing to be used in Divine Mode makes it less useful than Divine Glow.

I really think that Divine Glow is one of, if not the, most versatile spell that a Cleric can use purely because it is useful in every engagement aspect, be it in Divine Mode or not. I'll have to try out FF and see how it plays into my style, but as it stands I love Divine Glow and can't really see myself swapping it out :p
    solaceffl wrote: »
    Current Setup:

At wills: Astral Seal, Sacred Flame
    Encounter: Astral Shield, Forgemaster Flame/Bastion(Normally only with a premade), Sun Burst. Chains of Blazing is also a very viable spell but it's situational. Sometimes it's great sometimes it's useless.
    Daily: Divine Armour, Guardian of Faith
    Passives: Healer's Lore, Prophetic Action.

I went all the way down the Righteous Heroic Feats for the heal on hit because of how often I'm going to be focused. Gainging 100% Increased Stamina Regen and some Temp Life when crit is also amazing for kiting/dodging (Combined with Divine Power Sun Burst) I didn't bother getting Domain Synergy Feat at all, I grabbed Holy Resolve and it's probably one of the best DC Feats out of all of them.

I agree on Chains of Blazing. Cleric CC's are so situational I said screw it and focused on one thing that they can do very well which is Buff allies and Debuff enemies and provide AoE heals. I think if you were running a group and needed a CC like Chains of Blazing it would be helpful, but 9 times out of 10 someone on your team is gonna have something better. I think the knock back and AoE heal of sunburst is something intriguing, but the knockback I don't really use that often, since I mostly run with 1 person I know at least, and can quickly communicate with, so I don't really have to worry about disengaging that much which just allows me to add in a skill that's helpful to the team over something that benefits mostly me. Also if I'm getting focused I can drop Astral Shield, BoH, and my Daily if need be, and then if the rest of the team hasn't gotten them off me, my team is bad and we'll lose anyway :3

I'm curious why you chose Prophetic Action over a flat defense buff or something of the like. As I mentioned I think it would really help to keep you alive if it blocks a Rogue or CW daily, but it seems like it would too often block a meager 1k or 2k hit and you'd be better suited to get something that has a more broadly effective buff.

Also thanks to everyone who's posted questions, or talked to me in my stream about my build and offering other points of view! It's awesome to really get my build poked and looked at from an outside point of view! Keep the dialogue up :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lim3yy wrote: »
    I split my skill points pretty evenly between CHA and STR actually. I have 4 bonus points in each, but I started with higher CHA so the end result is STR-16, WIS-24, CHA-20. Having the Stam regen has been pretty helpful as you spend half your time kiting enemies around the tower so being able to dodge a lot is nice.

I've had a few people now say that they use FF and I'm gonna have to check it out. I have it maxed out, so I'll be able to give a decent assessment on it, but my preliminary ideas are as follows. It's a spell that I feel is only powerful when used in Divine Mode, and that's going to take away from burst heals of BoH and the sustained heals of Astral Shield. If you're using it on it's own the only thing it does is slow, and as I mentioned in the guide, I don't think a cleric should bother with CC spells as every other class has much more useful ones that compliment the rest of their abilities. I'm not saying that a slow is a bad thing, but I think the fact that it doesn't do much in normal mode, therefore basically needing to be used in Divine Mode makes it less useful than Divine Glow.

I really think that Divine Glow is one of, if not the, most versatile spell that a Cleric can use purely because it is useful in every engagement aspect, be it in Divine Mode or not. I'll have to try out FF and see how it plays into my style, but as it stands I love Divine Glow and can't really see myself swapping it out :p

I agree on Chains of Blazing. Cleric CC's are so situational I said screw it and focused on one thing that they can do very well which is Buff allies and Debuff enemies and provide AoE heals. I think if you were running a group and needed a CC like Chains of Blazing it would be helpful, but 9 times out of 10 someone on your team is gonna have something better. I think the knock back and AoE heal of sunburst is something intriguing, but the knockback I don't really use that often, since I mostly run with 1 person I know at least, and can quickly communicate with, so I don't really have to worry about disengaging that much which just allows me to add in a skill that's helpful to the team over something that benefits mostly me. Also if I'm getting focused I can drop Astral Shield, BoH, and my Daily if need be, and then if the rest of the team hasn't gotten them off me, my team is bad and we'll lose anyway :3

I'm curious why you chose Prophetic Action over a flat defense buff or something of the like. As I mentioned I think it would really help to keep you alive if it blocks a Rogue or CW daily, but it seems like it would too often block a meager 1k or 2k hit and you'd be better suited to get something that has a more broadly effective buff.

Also thanks to everyone who's posted questions, or talked to me in my stream about my build and offering other points of view! It's awesome to really get my build poked and looked at from an outside point of view! Keep the dialogue up :)

When I had first looked at Foresight I was like "Meh 2%, not worth a passive slot" I still kind of have that mindset with it, since it also said "Increases Defence as well" There was no indication as to how much extra defense they would get. I figured a chance to block something big vs 6% DR was a bit better.

I also run with another pretty much 100% of my games (He's a TR) so I can't always get a peel so I rely on being able to position and reposition myself/others whenever I need to with Divine Sunburst/Stamina feat proc. Not to mention how clutch Divine Sun burst can be when you knock 3+ people off a point to get the cap on a mid fight. Personal preference I guess, but it seems to be working so far.
  • Options
    beldukilbeldukil Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013

Is there a reason that a pvp build would ignore crit when it is so important for pve builds-- especially given the known diminishing returns on power?

Greater divine power seems very under powered to me. You get one extra divine cast per fight. What it should be is that you regen divine power 25% faster.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    beldukil wrote: »

Is there a reason that a pvp build would ignore crit when it is so important for pve builds-- especially given the known diminishing returns on power?

Greater divine power seems very under powered to me. You get one extra divine cast per fight. What it should be is that you regen divine power 25% faster.

Yeah I didn't really see the point in Greater Divine Power. It's not like Divine Power is hard to generate, especially with feats that increase the rate you obtain it. I don't ever have much of a problem keep my Divine power up, especially with spamming Sun Burst+Ethereal Boon feat, as well as auto attacking.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

It does give you an extra 25% Divine Power, so I'd say in terms of numbers that's pretty strong. It doesn't really feel strong since you only get 1 more spell off, but I definitely notice having it.

And as my guide states, I focus on AoE Buffs / Debuffs, with sustained heals thrown in the mix. There are plenty of Feats that really emphasis crit stacking, and I think if you were to investigate a Temp Hit Point build, you'd definitely focus on Crit. But as I state in the guide on stat progression, Power does drop off but to begin with Power is everything, but once you reach a certain level in my build specifically it doesn't do you much good to heal for a ton, rather it's about getting out a lot of Buff's on your team and Debuff's on the enemy.

My build is like the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, it's all about the Defense and if you can sustain hit after hit and outlast your opponent eventually you'll push through on the Offensive side.

Yeah I didn't really see the point in Greater Divine Power. It's not like Divine Power is hard to generate, especially with feats that increase the rate you obtain it. I don't ever have much of a problem keep my Divine power up, especially with spamming Sun Burst+Ethereal Boon feat, as well as auto attacking.

I find having the 4th pip is really helpful because I don't have to always be focusing on my At-Will attacks to generate Divine Power. I can get off 4 spells without having to throw a single At-Will attack out, which is helpful if I'm having to move around a lot and need to keep up heals. I also wasn't as big a fan of the feats you could get in other tree's and the 4th pip feat was a freebie basically. With Ethereal Boon, 10% isn't a lot. even with the 15% gain from Bountiful Fortune you'd need to cast 9 spells to get a single bar, which in comparison to having a free bar for a single feat point sounds much more appealing to me. Also I'm not using Divine Fortune because you don't get anything for casting an ability in Divine Mode, which is how I cast 80%+ of my spells so that ends up being not as good as other passives.
  • Options
    teflondon75teflondon75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question for anybody that cares to answer :P I'm a fresh 60, still sitting in some 54-58 greens with the odd 60 green/blue I bought out of the AH. I've not pvp'ed AT ALL until tonight(not sure why, it's usually a priority for me) and was rocked pretty hard just about constantly lol. What would you all suggest is ones best bet being severely under-geared and just starting out. Stay on points and hope somebody stays with? Follow whomever you can find to follow? I'm PUG'ing so not much in the way of backup or help with peals etc. Really it's likely just toughing it out till I get some gear and practice, but any advice for a newb to NW pvp would be awesome.

In case it's relevant I use FF, Glow, AS. BoTS/AS and Hallowed/Hammer as my dailies. It basically ends up feeling like I'm the one charging to the point with people falling behind. Dropping shield on top of the point, hoping that will entice people to stay there rather than fight someplace else lol. And basically just tickle people that run by or insta-explode to most rogues lol. Ahh well :D It's all fun. Thanks all!
  • Options
    helza123helza123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I havent read the complete thread yet and maybe someone posted it already, but Divine Glow in devine mode is currently bugged, it will DEBUFF you party instead of buff them, so your actually hurting your team atm if you use it in devine mode.
  • Options
    beldukilbeldukil Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    "It does give you an extra 25% Divine Power, so I'd say in terms of numbers that's pretty strong. "

It only gives you 25% more divine power if you only cast a divine power 4 times per fight and have full divine power at the beginning of every fight.

If you cast a divine power 8 times in a fight, without it you would cast seven times. Then it is a 14 percent increase. In a longer boss fight if you cast a divine power 16 times, you would cast 15 times without it which is a 6 percent increase. In other words, the more times you cast a divine power in a fight the worse this feat is.
  • Options
    kaisho23kaisho23 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This guide is cool and which is majorly my cleric is at. Although I added some points to skills I don't use thinking they would unlock the others. Luckily I found this before it's too late :D
  • Options
    yaskeryasker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the idea of this thread! I'm only mid lvl, so don't have any insight, but I've been lvling purely through pvp and have been building alternatively. My stat priority is +health>power>movement>crit>recovery. I just wanted to be an annoying punching bag. I'm doing quite well and can solo most classes besides a smart CW. I've decided to go into righteous paragon.

I've been finding it quite difficult to theory craft a proper build around righteous. I figured the key is sovereign justice. The more hits you can take the more heals you output. My theory is foresight 6% dr, power of oppression 5% dr, warding shield 10% dr, that's 21% less dmg every ~20 sec? Combine with healing step and AS/Devine Armor maybe deepstone blessing ifit contributes.

Just a theory.. Sorry for format, I'm on my phone at work. Lol

Edit:
    I think...
    At will: astral seal/sacred flame
    Encounters: bastion of health/forgemaster's flame/astral shield
    Daily:flame strike/Divine Armor
    Class:foresight/prophetic action or Devine fortune
  • Options
    manuelito75manuelito75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I personally decided to use a build that can play out well both in PvE and PvP (naturally, 'spells' will change), hence renouncing in going deep into the Righteous Paragon path. I also felt that the main stats should anyway be Crit/Recovery to get the best out of it. I agree on the fact that initially power is important, but it is easy to stack it up as a 3rd stat, if you so wish (especially in Very Rare items where you can also add Defence, which never hurts:-)). This is why I was also extremely disappointed with the 'random' stats present in the PvP Very Rare gear you can buy with glory. A huge disappointment, if you ask me.

As for the greater Divine Power I think it is not a MUST; it is more an issue of play style. On the other hand, once you put 20 points in the Faithful Paragon path, there is not much alternative left (IMHO): 9-10 points in Righteous or 1-2 points in Virtuous (2 points in Rising Hope should be sufficient for a nearly 100% uptime).
  • Options
    akula69akula69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "It does give you an extra 25% Divine Power, so I'd say in terms of numbers that's pretty strong. "

In a longer boss fight if you cast a divine power 16 times, you would cast 15 times without it which is a 6 percent increase. In other words, the more times you cast a divine power in a fight the worse this feat is.

Funny I thought this was a discussion about a PVP cleric build.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm running a bit different build and I will try to briefly explain it.

First, I prioritize recovery > crit > defense > power. These all gel well with the high prophet set.

Second, paragon is full down righteous. First two tiers are divine building feats. Then healing step and the heal on hit chance. Healing step is incredibly good. Double regen of staming for 10 seconds? You can regen a shift in 3 seconds, so you basically get 2 extra shifts.

I do go down faithful to get 4 into improved foresight and then 1 in virtuous.

Third, class features are foresight and holy fervor. I've found that dailies more than anything else change the tide of battle.

Fourth, at wills are brand of the sun and astral seal. Astral seal for the cleanse proc and brand of the sun to actually proc it. It can proc on every dot tick. So put it up on targets and if a CW decides to double enfeeble you, it won't last long enough to do much. Your number one priority is to remove ray of enfeeblement. A single application increases damage against you by 50%.

Encounters are obviously astral shield, it is just too strong currently. Then sun burst for action point gain and forgemasters for another dot, slow, and heal when needed. I do sometimes change this out for break the spirit if it is a heavy CW team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tsakmir11tsakmir11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just hit 40 and did some PvP skirmishes. I'm not sure what purpose I serve other than to tank the CWs and TRs for a few seconds. I was never alive long enough to do anything. Please tell me this gets better at level 60. As it is now the healing I deal is so pathetic that I cannot keep myself alive nor can I keep someone else alive through the focused fire of two other people. I'm using Sun Burst, Daunting Light, and Healing Word as my encounters; Hallowed Ground as my dailiy, and my At-Wills are Astral Seal and Sacred Flame.
  • Options
    nickdinenickdine Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once you got the Astral Shield you can hold the node easier. use sun burst to send everyone flying, then dot everyone up and use hammer of fate when rogues try to 1 shot you. and prophecy of doom for those run away with low hp.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nickdine wrote: »
    Once you got the Astral Shield you can hold the node easier. use sun burst to send everyone flying, then dot everyone up and use hammer of fate when rogues try to 1 shot you. and prophecy of doom for those run away with low hp.

The only problem I find with sunburst, depending on your combo, is if you launch everyone out your team tends to chase and then your Astral Shield is basically wasted.
  • Options
    sodomo90sodomo90 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tldr run the crit build and use hallowed and hammer as your daily skills. encounters use break the spirit, astral shield, and forgemaster's flame. and my atwill's i prefer brand of the sun and astral seal. Stack dots and win while keeping ur team up
  • Options
    bunzagabunzaga Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    So far I'm unimpressed with ForgeMasters flame. I just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • Options
    aebramsaebrams Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am focusing around PvP, which I think should be completely viable in PvE as well since the roles are sort of similar.. tanky-healer.
    *Note* I'm only lvl 40 right now as I've just been playing slowly with some friends, not power leveling for a change.

Stat Choice:

I decided to Max Wisdom / Constitution every level. Wisdom gives healing bonus, damage bonus, control bonus, and control resistance.
    Con is 2% max HP. I have also seen posts that Strength / Charisma are good and should be balanced in, but I have not done that.

Powers:
    At-Wills: The idea is not to focus on these that much as there's usually too much **** that needs to happen that I can't stand and do a 3-cast chain.
    Brand of the Sun
    Astral Seal

Passives:
    Foresight - 11% damage reduction. Divine Power - 20% increase to Heals.

Encounters:
    Astral Shield
    Forgemasters
    Healing Word - I've thought about swappingt his for Sunburst, read on into feats though.

Daily:
    Hallowed ground
    Guardian of Faith

Hammer - I heard its good and may beat Guardian of Faith, not sure... but I like the idea of prone over a push.

Heroic Feats:
    Greater Fortune 3/3 - Wisdome grants 3% more healing.
    Toughness 3/3 - 9% more HP.
    Holy Resolve 3/3 - When i drop to 30% or lower, I gain 15% temp HPs... 5min CD.
    Weapon Mastery 3/3 - 3% Crit chance.
    Repurpose Soul 3/3 - Crit healing a target gives friendlys in the area a 15% heal of whatever crit. (i'm iffy on this one, but heals = cleanse chance, buffs)
    Cleanse 3/3 - Heals have a 30% chance to cleanse.
    Bountiful Healing 5/5 - 15% more Divine Power

Paragon:
    Tree 1:
    Rising Hope 2/5 - While in divine mode, encounter powers have a chance (no idea what %) to proc 15% boost to power/recovery for 60sec.
    Tree 2:
    Enduring Heal 5/5 - For 3 sec after healing a target in divine mode, they have a 5% increase to heals received. (This power sucks, but other choice sucks worse).
    Benefit of Forsight 5/5 - Increases foresight passive by 5% (which makes it 11%).
    Linked Spirit 5/5 - Increases healed targets stats by 5% of my stats, increases more for each target healed (I dont know what the multi target increase is or if this is worth it. If it's not, I'd put these 5 pts into Invigorated Healing and swap to Sunburst over healing word.)
    Moon touched 5/5 - Makes hallowed ground heal by 5% / 3 sec. (mentioned above)
    Greater Divine Power 1/1 - Adds a 4th pip to Divine Power (makes it 20% over 15%)
    Tree 3:
    Righteous Rage 5/5 - Crit damage generates 10% more divine power.
    Ethereal Boon 3/5 - Encounter powers coming off CD grant 6% of a max divine power bar (theres technically 3 bars, 1 per charge).

So the idea is just to DoT/seal all targets for max little heals that give out forsight, cleanses and stats while generating divine power. Astral Shield is just awesome and makes anyone unkillable and a divine'd foremaster flame heals a ludicrous amount for melees.
    Stats preference is probably HP/Power/Recovery/Crit... depending on what caps/DR are.

Thoughts/Comments? At 40, I have Sunburst in over Astral Shield and have somewhere of a 80%+ win rate in PvP.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aebrams wrote: »

Powers:
    At-Wills: The idea is not to focus on these that much as there's usually too much **** that needs to happen that I can't stand and do a 3-cast chain.
    Brand of the Sun
    Astral Seal

You do have to focus on these, you have to get astral seal and brand up as soon as possible and as often as possible. A decent CW is going to double stack ray of enfeeblement on you. That means you will be taking 100% more damage for the duration, usually 6 seconds. If it does not get cleansed immediately, you are done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aebramsaebrams Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    You do have to focus on these, you have to get astral seal and brand up as soon as possible and as often as possible. A decent CW is going to double stack ray of enfeeblement on you. That means you will be taking 100% more damage for the duration, usually 6 seconds. If it does not get cleansed immediately, you are done.

Yes, I apologize that statement did not come out after reading your reply. My point was mainly talking about those vs Sacred Flame and how it's much better to just 1-click that at-wills and not worrying about the 3-hit chain.
  • Options
    gokkensgokkens Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Any chance of getting some of that information you have there in picture form? with a screesnhot of what power and feat you took? pretty please!