test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gear Score is an issue.

therealalientherealalien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Why do you force a Gear Score requirement for Epic Dungeons? Gear Score doesn't = Skill. It's so hard to find groups because you don't have a high gear score. People assume if you have high Gear Score that means you're really good at the game. What a shame.
Post edited by therealalien on

Comments

• edwardloxaredwardloxar Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because, it still gives a sense of progression at lvl 60, so your not maxed and aiming toward nothing, i personally enjoy it
  • therealalientherealalien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited May 2013
    Because, it still gives a sense of progression at lvl 60, so your not maxed and aiming toward nothing, i personally enjoy it

You know how hard it is to find a group for PVE dungeons at level 60? It's sad the only way to really gear up for Epic dungeons is through PVP.
  • xxviimbxxviimb Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think they did this so people can grind the dungeons for their equips.
    In this case I would say, yes, GS does equal skill(since if you are grinding the same dungeons,you would have a sense of the mechanics that go along with it).

-Does not apply to everyone, some people are just thick headed.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
    edited May 2013
    You know how hard it is to find a group for PVE dungeons at level 60? It's sad the only way to really gear up for Epic dungeons is through PVP.

very easy, ive done a bunch of epic dungeons already, without any issues. Queue times are actually extremely fast
  • odainekromosodainekromos Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Gearscore is horrible, i remember the moment that mod came up on wow, it was horrible that everyone was more interessted on a stupid numbers instead of skill... I really hope they remove it
  • annahannah Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gearscore is kinda borked stat, as power is taken into account.
    My Guardian Fighter got level 60 today, i equipped my delzoun warhammer, and bought some stuff on AH for like 50k AD, and my gearscore is now 11.5k. Funny thing is, if i block and my guard meter empties my gearscore drops to around 7k.
    Because i took guardian spec which doubles my power when guard meter is full.
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's stupidly easy to get 9.2K GS (the highest required GS at the moment).

Grab the cheap PvP gear when you ding 60, run a few Cloak Towers for some decent blues for the jewellery and belt slots, and put in some rank 4 or 5 enchants, of which you should have more than plenty at that point, and you should be at like 8-9K already.
    edited May 2013
    very easy, ive done a bunch of epic dungeons already, without any issues. Queue times are actually extremely fast

You seemed to miss the point. If I don't have the correct gear score, I can't queue for the dungeon. If I look for a group, people won't invite me because I'm not uber high gear score. So I'm forced to PVP to get the PVP gear just to be able to do epic dungeons.
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    It's stupidly easy to get 9.2K GS (the highest required GS at the moment).

Grab the cheap PvP gear when you ding 60, run a few Cloak Towers for some decent blues for the jewellery and belt slots, and put in some rank 4 or 5 enchants, of which you should have more than plenty at that point, and you should be at like 8-9K already.

Please tell me where I get cheap PVP gear. The only vendor I know of who sells PVP gear they cost 3,000 glory a peace.
  • purutzilpurutzil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel its bad... judging player 'skill' of any form of gear score is always a terrible idea in any game. I've made it my personal mission in most MMos to smack that concept of 'gear = skill' and pretty much prove otherwise as a sort of 'sport' for myself.

Yes, gear plays some part, but using it as some figure only helps to emphasize to the inexperienced to believe that gear is everything, thus they don't try to improve since they want gear to carry them through and think it will make them better. It promotes bad play more then helps anything out.
    GWF level 60 (Beholder) - The pains of leveling!
    Cleric level 5X (Dragon) - Holy goblin so much easier!
    edited May 2013
    You seemed to miss the point. If I don't have the correct gear score, I can't queue for the dungeon. If I look for a group, people won't invite me because I'm not uber high gear score. So I'm forced to PVP to get the PVP gear just to be able to do epic dungeons.

then get better gear, if you enter a epic dun undergeared youre only going to get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> anyway, i dont see the issue with getting better gear to go in.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I didn't PvP a single time on my main and am just a bit short of 9.2k GS.

There's a lot of cheap (think less than 10k AD) stuff from the Tier 1 Dungeons on the AH. With the 2x AD weekend we have, you should be able to hit at least 5.7k GS without any issues and be able to run Cloak Tower and Cragmire for more gear.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's kind of funny considering that GearScore was one of the most hated add-ons for WoW. At least by people who didn't play WoW.
  • l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Seems to be mixed reactions. Personally, I think Gearscore is a terrible idea and is borked.
  • aelvez0120aelvez0120 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    The code that it is used to calculate gearscore is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Just take a look at the recommended items.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Skill, in this game?
    please... LOL.

It's more gear oriented than skill oriented... That is of course if using dodge to get out of shiny red cricles can be considered skill, which for me it isn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • sutekhonesutekhone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Increasing gear score is incredibly easy. All lvl 60 greens will get you into the intro dungeons. If you pvp'd at all you probably have enough easily saved up for a purple piece. The common lvl 60 dungeon gear drops are flooding the auction house at ridiculously low prices. And queues (especially if dungeon delver is up) are under 10 minutes (if I queue for several dungeons I never wait over 5 minutes). Seriously if you are having problems then you most likely don't belong in the dungeons. The Gear Score is more a rating of the dungeon as apposed to the uberness of your gear. It gives an indication how difficult the dungeon will be, and what progression you need to enter. Take away this gateway and everybody hitting 60 will just queue for the hardest tier dungeons and hope to get carried and snag gear - this will mean failed dungeons and nothing will get accomplished.
  • voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As long as there have been MMOs, players have looked for ways to measure success and evaluate players for grouping purposes. It will happen no matter what. You can cry, you can bunch your panties, you can say it's an injustice to failboaters worldwide - whatever. If there wasn't GS, there would be something else. Players who are serious and who want to blow thru content look to group with likeminded players. That's the way it goes.

It is a GOOD THING for the GS to be built in to the game so that players don't have to come up with some other nebulous and far less objective/fair way to evaluate each other. Would you babies who want to be carried rather that it was left up to the judgement of elitists to determine whether you qualify to be carried, or rather have it be an in-game measurement that's equally fair for everybody?
    Why do you force a Gear Score requirement for Epic Dungeons? Gear Score doesn't = Skill. It's so hard to find groups because you don't have a high gear score. People assume if you have high Gear Score that means you're really good at the game. What a shame.

FYI, you're making assumptions and judgements as to why people use GS, and you can't really speak for everyone, can you?

If you complain about gear score, you are a ****. It's that simple. Every argument that I've ever seen about GS or addons always involves clueless people, who are usually poor players, who don't like the game being able to quantify or point it out. There's nothing wrong with being a mediocre or even poor player. There's nothing wrong with being an elitist. But IMO, it's equally elitist ******bag to say that people who do care about performance should not have addons or GS available to filter out people they don't really want to play with.

Would you rather get into a group then get kicked out for sucking? Isn't it better for the screening to occur before time is wasted for everyone?

Of course GS doesn't equate to skill but in ANY MMO, and especially this one, there isn't that much skill involved, and there's no way to measure skill. If people said "looking for skilled players" in chat any clown could claim to be skilled and by totally clueless - there's no way to verify it.

Don't kid yourself. This game is ez-mode. Skill isn't that much of a factor. What determines how well you do is far more tied to your gear because no matter how amazing you think you are, you can't do more dps/healing/tanking than the potential of your gear. If your weapon tops out at 100dps, being skilled doesn't magically make the weapon exceed the limits of its data and do 125dps. If you are capable of playing, you might get near that 100dps. In gear-based gear, gear is important...duh.

Gear Score at least gives a hint of potential (had to get the gear somehow, might actually have a clue to have got it) and at least shows that a person has put the time/effort/cash/whatever in to get the gear. They could still be fail, but the fact that the gear is there gives hope and is something that can be measured and verified.

Usually the people who cry about gear score and addons that do gear score are noobs and/or failures. If you weren't a **** or didn't suck, you would just play, the gear would come to you naturally, and GS would never be an issue for you.

That's to say, if you really were as skilled as you think/say you are, you'd have the gear, wouldn't you?

If X gear is appropriate for tier Z content...why should you think you should be able to do that content in lesser gear just because you're amazing? Content is setup in tiers for a reason, and it isn't for dragging undergeared people thru it.

For the players that just want to have fun and don't care about gear or success. Neato. Get in a guild of similar people and fail away. Why should serious players have to carry you thru content or deal with your attitude when they're trying to pound progression?

For serious players who are doing dungeon X for the umpteenth time and who want to group with players of a similar mind, is it really so bad for them to want to have some way to make sure the people they group with can deliver? Why should 4 competent players drag some failure thru a dungeon?
  • illessenillessen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    You know, even World of Warcrack has a gearscore system in place for pug stuff. They just call it item level requirement. This game is no different. This is albeit a somewhat iffy way of going about it, but it's one way of preventing people that are utterly incapable of doing this content because of their gear, regardless of skill. You can be the best player in the world, but if you're in lvl 50 greens, you're not going to be pulling your weight in any sort of end game content.

As most people have said already, your basic gear you should have by the end of the game(if you didn't scam your way to 60) should easily get you into the intro dungeons. So why complain? That you can't do the the most difficult dungeon in the game the second you hit 60? Follow content and stop being so entitled. If you're complaining that people are always outrolling you on said gear, well, get to crafting, or 'gasp' go look in the AH you can find a nice set of gear fairly cheap. 4k AD for a set of epic bracers? Or you could even half <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> your way through pvp and get a set that way. That shouldn't take an eternity to gather unless you're terrible at this game.
  • beamanbrbeamanbr Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gearscore prevents you from going into a dungeon you aren't ready for. You can waste not only your own time, but that of 4 other players if you're not equipped for it.

I don't know if it was just me, but I was allowed into a couple dungeons right as I hit 60. Do those, do pvp if you can stand it, and just have fun. Don't be an entitled brat and expect others to carry you through difficult content.
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    beamanbr wrote: »
    Gearscore prevents you from going into a dungeon you aren't ready for.

In theory.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • kellionbanekellionbane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gear score fails because its not actually a calculation based on your gear, but your overall stats. Meaning that certain classes in certain specs will always rate higher than they should, due to stat bonus feats.

Moving actually gear score numbers onto each item and taking into account only items worn would correct this problem.
  • gthsoragthsora Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gear score does not equal skills, but I think some of those who put a requirement are smart. I personally would too. Gear score does not mean skills, but skill does not mean you will be able to carry your part either. Optimally you want players who are skilled and with decent gear score, but you can't really go around looking for skilled players (it is too subjective; I may think I am skilled while you think otherwise, etc) so one can only rely on gear score. Now for an exaggerated example: Let say you are so skilled as to NEVER die in that dungeon you wanted to run, however, your gear not that great so you can only dish out about 5% of the party's total damage as a DPS class. See what I am getting at? Gear score is the only reliable source because whether they are skilled or not is iffy. Would you invite someone with high gear score or low when you do not know whether they has skillz or not? If I knew of someone who is skilled but their gear score is not top tier but not terribad either, then I would rather have them in the party, but for pugs having higher gear score is usually a more reliable choice.
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I remember in WoW, I had a hard time on my ret Paladin, as so many possible upgrades I was able to roll on, might have raised by GS by a bunch, but would have made me less effective. I could slap on nothing but armor pen and have a super huge gear score, but end up doing <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> damage.

Gear score is a mechanical system that fails to consider many important factors. Like if that gear is actually doing your build any good, or whether it cpontributes well to a party/dungeoneering, or PVP, or solo play.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • gthsoragthsora Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree 100%. The Scoring system would be much better if each scales differently according to the class but apparently that does not seem to be the case or it is just poorly done. However, I still stand by my statement that gear score is the most reliable source at the moment to 'rank' players so to say; another way is to inspect each piece of item they have but I personally will not do that because it is much too troublesome for what it is worth. I just pray that players know what stats they need or not need rather than just using any random gears in order to maximize gear score. Those who can not decide and only mindless follow gear score are probably under skilled. Hence, again, gear score is most reliable way assuming that most players are not vegetables.
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Please tell me where I get cheap PVP gear. The only vendor I know of who sells PVP gear they cost 3,000 glory a peace.

Yes. 3000 glory is nothing. You'll need about 1900K glory for the full set. If you win 50% of your games and play 50% of your games during the PvP event times, you'll need about 6-8 hours to get the full set. Like I said, stupidly easy.
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! We're always looking to fine-tune the core game experience so that it feels balanced for everyone, and gear score feature is certainly part of that. We appreciate your thoughts and comments! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I ignore gear score for the most part.

Game mechanics knowledge and skill trump gear scores usually.
  • lordhordelordhorde Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    Gearscore is broken. I get more gearscore using a lvl 43 400 def breastplate with 3 stats on it then using my lvl 60 1200 def one with only 2 stats. It seems to me gearscore is calculated by how many blues and purples you have regardless of what the stats they are and how good or bad the defense is.
  • cheeseheadscheeseheads Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i left WOW years ago when gs hit it. sadly i have to leave this game now. Was fun while it lasted, but ill go somewhere else and spend my money. wont support a game that has gs. last post also so gs fanboys don't waste your time responding, i wont read them