test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Character facing where I point

asakawa42asakawa42 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
After some time playing this I'm starting to feel that this is a weirdly important issue. When I press 'S' I don't really want my character to turn and move toward the camera, I would rather them face the way I'm facing and walk backwards. We can always go into 'inspect mode' if we want to see our characters from the front and I think it would make combat more fluid and intuitive.

Is it just me or do others also feel this way?
Or, perhaps, does anyone have any advice to minimise the issue (which isn't a massive one but I do find it has a detrimental effect on combat fluidity).
Post edited by asakawa42 on

Comments

• Options
    jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In combat, the character turns and faces the direction you point anyway. Just outside of combat they face what ever way you move them. Try it, go into combat, and turn the camera and watch your avatar move to follow the aim reticle.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I think It's very important as a third person shooter to have full 360 degree field of vision. It would make kiting especially in boss fights much harder without the loose camera.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @Jedi, Hmm, I just double-checked in-game to make sure and my character was definitely running directly towards the camera and away from my targeted mob. If I block (the character is a GF) then they stay facing their target but not the rest of the time.

@ambis, I'm not saying that the camera should be locked in any way, just that the character should be locked to the camera. Perhaps I got used to Tera which uses a similar form of combat.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    maybe my experience is slightly skewed, because in combat, I'm always facing the aim reticle. But like I said, skewed. I play a cleric. I will try it on my rouge in combat to see if I face the aim all the time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You got me there...as a cleric, we are always facing the aim circle, but as my rogue I turn away as a run. Sorry to toss my two cents without counting them first.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh! No, it's quite alright, I didn't know that about Clerics. I just logged in to mine (only level 7) and I can confirm what you're saying about them. I would love the option to turn that on for my tank!
    It may be that, if I did, I would see why it was designed that way but it feels like it would be more natural.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    asakawa42 wrote: »
    Oh! No, it's quite alright, I didn't know that about Clerics. I just logged in to mine (only level 7) and I can confirm what you're saying about them. I would love the option to turn that on for my tank!

Honestly I dont see the issue, but I suppose if you have to face the enemy to use their block ability, then it could actually present a problem. Otherwise, its nothing more than an aesthetic aspect and you still can attack and block and whatnot while even not facing them. I'm not sure, I only has a cleric and rogue and rarely do tanks.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I know what you mean. As a cleric I am constantly dodging to the side though.
    I feel that it is much better to be abortion to keep my reticule on the boss or mobs rather than get it flung around as I an dodging from side to side. :)
  • Options
    corleone33corleone33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ambisinisterr, I think maybe you shouldn't post from your iPhone...or did you mean to say 'abortion' there? :)