test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF PVP Passive -- Trample The Fallen or Ferocious Reaction?

whiteknightedwhiteknighted Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Greetings all,

The title pretty much says it all. I'm a 33 GF building for pvp primarily (I'm generally copying Envy's dps build as a starter). I'm at the point where I need to pick a second pvp passive to go with combat superiority and I'm wondering which of the above to pick?

Trample the Fallen gives 15% dmg (when feated, which mine can be) vs CC'ed targets. I have 2 CC encounter powers and a CC daily that I'm always spamming, plus I generally pvp with 1-2 other CW's.

OR

Ferocious Reaction gives me a 10% life increase when I drop below 15% total hp and then does that 10% life in damage to my opponent in addition to giving me a damage resistance increase for the next 4 seconds. It does this every 3 minutes.

It seems to me that 15% damage much of the time is more useful than a little bit of extra health and an extra nuke when I'm low every 3 minutes.

Which do you other PVPing GF players think is more useful, and why?
Post edited by whiteknighted on

Comments

• whiteknightedwhiteknighted Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bump one time for great justice and opinions.
  • perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not that attached to Ferocious Reaction but I like it's tactical element. Ferocious Reaction creates incentive and opportunity to purposely take damage to lure enemies into making mistakes. It's particularly strong with Supremacy of Steel. I've seen enemies massively (and gleefully) smash themselves against a GF who is suddenly exposed, since it looks like Christmas to them getting through that guard. As they lose a big chunk of health, I die leaving the battle shifted in favor for the next arrivals. If I time it right and don't get stun locked, I can even put up my guard towards the end and live, which usually keeps people attacking the wounded GF while they are killed from behind.

Of course, if the enemies have a cleric nearby or enough time to get healing, then Ferocious Reaction is mostly pointless. If a GF is really being focused down, Ferocious Reaction isn't going to keep them alive. The other problem is that I can't control when I use Ferocious Reaction. If I'm getting swarmed by a bunch of people and their cleric, I'd rather not use it and just die, saving it for more a tactical use. So ... in addition to a longish cooldown, I can also waste it. Supremacy of Steel can also be pointless as people learn to not attack it ... and I wonder how long it will be until everyone just ignores the GF when it's up. As people learn, both Ferocious Reaction and Supremacy of Steel (and their combo) should become less effective.

In contrast, no one can ignore Trample the Fallen. 15% seems like a good boost. It doesn't make the GF more disruptive, which is why I didn't take it. Still, it seems like a good pick if you're focusing on dps, and you're right that you can keep controls up a lot of the time. I may try it out sometime. Right now when I don't take Ferocious Reaction, I take the 15% extra guard. Anything to make the GF more annoying and disruptive but there's definitely a case for just going for more damage.
  • zxornzxorn Member Posts: 160 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I Prefer Trample the fallen, burst wins in PvP.

I recently respeced and would like to take this one question further regarding Battle Trample the tact feat. has anyone seen numbers on this feat? 25% of weapon dmg added. Is this unmodified base damage IE 160 dmg?
  • ceonnynceonnyn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GF is worthless played defensively in PVP and PVE.
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    as a full defensive GF, i feel useless in pvp XD all i do is to capture points for my team XD

but yeah, ferocious reaction is good for me since i have 30k hp
  • zxornzxorn Member Posts: 160 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    penpenstar wrote: »
    as a full defensive GF, i feel useless in pvp XD all i do is to capture points for my team XD

but yeah, ferocious reaction is good for me since i have 30k hp

Do you have the +10% healed from Ferocious Reaction feat? And can you confirm if it also adds this to the damage suffered by attacker?

I had some limited success as a Prot GF in premades using Knight's Valor & CC to protect the cleric in his circle, as last I tried you could also block all redirected damage. Unfortunately the small amount of extra mitigation and guard mitigation didn't stand out at all and the Knight's Valor trick can be accomplished just as well with Conq while doing around 100% more damage.

I switched a few days ago and never looking back.
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zxorn wrote: »
    Do you have the +10% healed from Ferocious Reaction feat? And can you confirm if it also adds this to the damage suffered by attacker?

I had some limited success as a Prot GF in premades using Knight's Valor & CC to protect the cleric in his circle, as last I tried you could also block all redirected damage. Unfortunately the small amount of extra mitigation and guard mitigation didn't stand out at all and the Knight's Valor trick can be accomplished just as well with Conq while doing around 100% more damage.

I switched a few days ago and never looking back.

hi, sadly i can't confirm that since i took encounter CD reduction instead of the FR feat. I'm not much of a pvp person that's why i passed up on it.

yeah im still thinking whether to go conqueror also, this full def life is so boring and too pve sided
    ceonnyn wrote: »
    GF is worthless played defensively in PVP and PVE.

I dont think so in pve, a full defensive GF can keep his party alive just with into the fray and knight's valor. But then an offensive GF can help the team clear the adds faster and help DPS down a tough boss. Defensive GF is very useful in pve but the offensive one's got the best of both worlds, that's why I'm beginning to like it better.
  • aakekpwaakekpw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Trample the Fallen is great in pvp and pve as it works on ANY controlled target.